SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Iran, land of lies

May 5th, 2018, 8:33 am

John Kerry Secretly Met With Foreign Leaders to Salvage Iran Nuclear Weapons Program
I know no one has ever been prosecuted under the logan act, but how does this not violate the logan act?
The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes negotiation by unauthorized persons with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position. The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799.
and indeed, on twitter
Tom Fitton @TomFitton
Kerry making quiet play to save Iran deal with foreign leaders: report. I'm waiting for the Left to scream treason and for Sally Yates to invoke the Logan Act and demand a criminal investigation. http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... th-foreign
Sally Yates was the acting-AG (obama holdover) who backed general flynn into a corner and accuse him of violating the logan act during the transition

tagoma

May 5th, 2018, 10:00 am

John Kerry Secretly Met With Foreign Leaders to Salvage Iran Nuclear Weapons Program
I know no one has ever been prosecuted under the logan act, but how does this not violate the logan act?
The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes negotiation by unauthorized persons with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position. The Act was passed following George Logan's unauthorized negotiations with France in 1798, and was signed into law by President John Adams on January 30, 1799.
and indeed, on twitter
Tom Fitton @TomFitton
Kerry making quiet play to save Iran deal with foreign leaders: report.  I'm waiting for the Left to scream treason and for Sally Yates to invoke the Logan Act and demand a criminal investigation. http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... th-foreign
Sally Yates was the acting-AG (obama holdover) who backed general flynn into a corner and accuse him of violating the logan act during the transition
What is an "unauthorized person"?

ppauper

May 5th, 2018, 10:23 am

and indeed, on twitter
Tom Fitton @TomFitton
Kerry making quiet play to save Iran deal with foreign leaders: report.  I'm waiting for the Left to scream treason and for Sally Yates to invoke the Logan Act and demand a criminal investigation. http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... th-foreign
What is an "unauthorized person"?
"unauthorized person" means "without the permission or authority of the Government of the United States"

Under the US Constitution, (to quote Justice Sutherland, writing for the Supreme Court):
"[T]he President alone has the power to speak or listen as a representative of the nation. He makes treaties with the advice and consent of the Senate; but he alone negotiates. Into the field of negotiation the Senate cannot intrude; and Congress itself is powerless to invade it. As Marshall said in his great argument of March 7, 1800, in the House of Representatives, 'The President is the sole organ of the nation in its external relations, and its sole representative with foreign nations.'
Acting AG Sally Yates backed general Flynn (the incoming national security advisor) into a corner and accused him of violating the logan act because he took a phone call from the Russian ambassador during the transition

Kerry was Secretary of State during the Obama administration, and is acting like he still considers himself Secretary of State

ppauper

June 5th, 2018, 5:59 am

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has a twitter account
Khamenei.ir @khamenei_ir
Our stance against Israel is the same stance we have always taken. #Israel is a malignant cancerous tumor in the West Asian region that has to be removed and eradicated: it is possible and it will happen. 7/31/91
#GreatReturnMarch
10:49 AM - 3 Jun 2018
1,407 retweets and 3,607 likes

bearish

June 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

And, according to the FT this morning, he has ordered a renewal of the advanced nuclear enrichment program, now that Trump has broken the treaty and imposed sanctions. Moving right along...

ppauper

June 5th, 2018, 11:27 am

And, according to the FT this morning, he has ordered a renewal of the advanced nuclear enrichment program, now that Trump has broken the treaty and imposed sanctions. Moving right along...
Salehi said none of Iran's nuclear activities would violate Tehran's landmark deal with world powers, under which it strictly limited uranium enrichment capacity to satisfy the powers that it could not be used to develop atomic bombs.
In exchange, Iran received relief from sanctions, most of which were rescinded in January 2016.
The deal allows Iran to continue 3.67 percent uranium enrichment, far below the roughly 90 percent threshold of weapons-grade. Before the deal was reached, Tehran enriched uranium to up to 20 percent purity.
I'm not sure what your point is here. Iran is doing exactly what it was allowed to under the deal. I have no idea if the uranium enrichment it is allowed to do is harmless (in which case, why are you upset about it?) or harmful (in which case why was it allowed under the deal???)

ppauper

June 8th, 2018, 9:00 pm

qods day

ppauper

June 9th, 2018, 5:31 am

from al arabiya, which wiki describes as a Saudi-owned pan-Arab news channel based in Dubai
WATCH: In first, Iran admits to facilitating passage of al-Qaeda’s 9/11 attackers
I don't know where we're going with this but it can't be good.
"facilitating passage" seems to mean they didn't stamp the passports of al-Qaeda operatives when they transited through Iran (because Iranian stamps in a passport would be a red flag in many other countries)

It sounds like Iran had a relatively minor, peripheral role in the 9/11 attacks while Saudi was much more directly involved.

ppauper

June 12th, 2018, 6:33 am

ppauper

June 25th, 2018, 8:38 pm

ppauper

July 3rd, 2018, 1:41 pm

ppauper

September 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Kerry Meeting With Iran to Salvage Nuke Deal With Rogue Diplomacy
Kerry, in an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt to promote his new book, said that he has met with Iranian Former Minister Javad Zarif—the former secretary's onetime negotiating partner—three or four times in recent months behind the Trump administration's back.
"I think I've seen him three or four times," Kerry said, adding that he has been conducting sensitive diplomacy without the current administration's authorization. Kerry said he has criticized the current administration in these discussions, chiding it for not pursuing negotiations from Iran, despite the country's fevered rhetoric about the U.S. president.
I think we all remember Sally Yates threatening General Flynn with prosecution under the Logan Act because he took a call from the Russian ambassador during the transition.

If Kerry going behind the administration's back with Iran isn't a violation of the Logan Act, I don't know what is
The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes negotiation by unauthorized persons with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States. The intent behind the Act is to prevent unauthorized negotiations from undermining the government's position.
The administration has scrapped the Obama-Iran deal and wants to negotiate a better deal.
Kerry wants the opposite, to keep the Obama deal and is undermining the Trump administration

bearish

September 13th, 2018, 2:17 am

Undermining the Trump administration is certainly a good thing (and they certainly do not have the faintest interest in negotiating a new deal), but this might be illegal. 

ppauper

September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

death toll now 29, Islamic State claim responsibility
I hope no one (meaning in the wider world, not here) would suggest that we take sides in a fight between Iran and Islamic State
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On