SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Russia Watch

November 24th, 2011, 5:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelToday is Russia Watch day. Here is another nice one from the Motherland.News reader fired for showing Obama the middle finger.that's in the Obama's foreign relations thread also !

daveangel

Russia Watch

November 24th, 2011, 5:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelToday is Russia Watch day. Here is another nice one from the Motherland.News reader fired for showing Obama the middle finger.that's in the Obama's foreign relations thread also !my apologies.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

zerdna

Russia Watch

November 24th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Track, let's not go into details -- let's just say i am extremely, irresistibly adorable in my own way and not quite like Feynman. The photo you posted is one of my favorites, it's actually "think different" Apple poster that i used to have for a while. On the other hand, the one time i met farmer very long time ago on wilmott walkers, he walked over and said, "you must be zerdna" before i introduced myself to anyone. I was like, WTF? His claim was i am just like my icon. He was pulling my leg obviously, but somehow he figured it out.

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 24th, 2011, 8:52 pm

That sounds very nice indeed. I have eaten more than my share of a huge Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey triptophan has made me sleepy, so I can't think of anything sarcastic to say right now.

daveangel

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 12:43 pm

It was all a misunderstanding - I actually have a high opinion of President Obama

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 12:50 pm

It is plausible - the middle finger could be a sign of respect in some cultures.I like how Russia is handling the crisis in Europe:Russia Stocks Rise Third Day as GDP Growth Offsets Europe Woes - Bloomberg Business Week Nov 25and alsoRussia Holds Rates as Euro Crisis Saps Bank Liquidity: Economy - Bloomberg Business Week Nov 25" Russia's central bank refrained from cutting interest rates as Europe's debt crisis exacerbates a cash shortage in the economy, putting pressure on policy makers to keep a grip on capital outflows.The central bank left the refinancing rate at 8.25 percent after two increases this year, as predicted by all 24 economists in a Bloomberg survey, Bank Rossii said today in Moscow. Tighter lending conditions and a liquidity shortfall will likely "remain for the medium term," the bank said.Lenders in eastern Europe may face a credit squeeze as banks further west withdraw cash from the region to cope with the European debt crisis, Christine Lagarde, the International Monetary Fund's managing director, said Nov. 7 in Moscow. The Russian regulator has signaled it may limit operations between domestic lenders and foreign banks."Policy makers are becoming increasingly worried about a liquidity squeeze in the banking sector," Neil Shearing, a London-based senior emerging-markets analyst at Capital Economics Ltd., said by e-mail. "The problem for the central bank is that cutting interest rates significantly would risk stoking capital outflows, thus intensifying the liquidity squeeze facing banks."The government of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who plans to return to the Kremlin next year, has been battling to staunch capital flight that may reach $70 billion this year, compared with a previous forecast for $36 billion of outflows, according to the central bank."...
Last edited by trackstar on November 24th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 12:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelIt was all a misunderstanding - I actually have a high opinion of President ObamaThe video of this incident is very funny! Raise the text of the teleprompter - yeah right.

daveangel

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelIt was all a misunderstanding - I actually have a high opinion of President ObamaThe video of this incident is very funny! Raise the text of the teleprompter - yeah right. Except our nice friends in the Politburo (sorry I meant Ren TV) have taken it off youtube.

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I wonder where she will get another job - maybe her own talk show -"Shoot from the Hips"? (sexy show about politics and economics with hot, outspoken women)or as farmer used to say:"Go F*ck Yourself" - show about international relations, also with hot, outspoken women as hosts. **If zerdna or one of our other post-Soviets could translate the latter title, that would be great. I did not learn that kind of language in my Russian classes.
Last edited by trackstar on November 24th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Quote I did not learn that kind of language in my Russian classes How did you communicate in Russia then ?

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote I did not learn that kind of language in my Russian classes How did you communicate in Russia then ?By attempting to use polite and grammatically correct language.I must say, it does not necessarily work very well.They understand direct commands, big guns, and hand gestures.I think they own and operate The Matrix too.

daveangel

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote I did not learn that kind of language in my Russian classes How did you communicate in Russia then ?By attmepting to use polite and grammatically correct language.I must say, it does not necessarily work very well.They understand direct commands, big guns, and hand gestures.that indeed has been my experience... and flashing some cash in the general direction of some people attracts their attention.

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 1:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelthat indeed has been my experience... and flashing some cash in the general direction of some people attracts their attention.Rubles or pounds?In my experience, they wanted US dollars, but that was twelve years ago - times may have changed.

Cuchulainn

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 2:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote I did not learn that kind of language in my Russian classes How did you communicate in Russia then ?By attempting to use polite and grammatically correct language.I must say, it does not necessarily work very well.They understand direct commands, big guns, and hand gestures.I think they own and operate The Matrix too.What about САМооборона Без Оружия (aka judo++) wrestling?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on November 24th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

Russia Watch

November 25th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I am pretty good at Samba and Tango wrestling, would need some training for Sambo!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On