SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

daveangel

America - Home of Bugs Bunny

May 31st, 2012, 7:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperhas romney been to all 57 states (including the ones in Asia) like Obama ?more importantly, can he see Russia from his balcony? that's right, he should take Palin as his VPPalin would be a good choice (I'd be happier with Palin-Romney than Romney-Palin)I am pretty sure that Palin has at some stage said that Romney is not a good candidate... but that was in the past.
Last edited by daveangel on May 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

May 31st, 2012, 7:42 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperhas romney been to all 57 states (including the ones in Asia) like Obama ?more importantly, can he see Russia from his balcony? that's right, he should take Palin as his VPPalin would be a good choice (I'd be happier with Palin-Romney than Romney-Palin)I am pretty sure that Palin has at some stage said that Romney is not a good candidate... but that was in the past.actually, she said he was a 'great' candidate, not a convincing conservativerunning mates don't need to see eye-to-eye with the head of the ticket.The argument is usually "balancing the ticket" (whether politically, by picking a moderate to balance a conservative or vice versa, geographically, for example, the Massachussetts liberal kerry picking the southern slip-and-fall lawyer Edwards, or the southern Gore picking the northeastern jewish senator, joe lieberman, by experience, for example a former governor with no federal experience picking a senator or congressman as his running mate, for example BJ Clinton picking Gore, or the inexperienced Obama picking longtime senator Joe Biden, by gender, for example, McCain picking Palin, and so on.Romney would do well to choose a conservative running mate to prevent a tea party rebellion and forestall 3rd party candidatesReagan picked Bush 39

daveangel

June 8th, 2012, 10:56 am

Woman who ran down boyfriend after he damaged her iPhone says she still loves him

ppauper

June 8th, 2012, 6:45 pm

[L=UGA professor charged with prostitution]http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2 ... ostitution[/LQuoteA University of Georgia professor of German was arrested Thursday evening by Gwinnett County police after dressing up as a woman and agreeing to have sex with an undercover officer

ppauper

June 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm

korean cuisine comes to texas

daveangel

October 1st, 2012, 2:15 pm

California does not think that you can pray someone straight.

ppauper

October 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelCalifornia does not think that you can pray someone straight.it's not an issue that Governor Moonbeam (in his second incarnation) doesn't think that you can pray someone straight, it's that Governor Moonbeam thinks that homosexuality is normal and doesn't need to be cured.

Traden4Alpha

October 1st, 2012, 3:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelCalifornia does not think that you can pray someone straight.it's not an issue that Governor Moonbeam (in his second incarnation) doesn't think that you can pray someone straight, it's that Governor Moonbeam thinks that homosexuality is normal and doesn't need to be cured.Just like people of religion X think people of religion not(X) are not normal and need to be cured.The fatal flaw in social conservatism is that it's so poorly suited to a larger world in which different people think and behave differently (THE HORROR!).

ppauper

October 1st, 2012, 3:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe fatal flaw in social conservatism is that it's so poorly suited to a larger world in which different people think and behave differently (THE HORROR!).every so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent.The ban applies only to those under 18 and I presume that those affected by the ban would have been admitted for treatment at either their own or their parents' behest.It's not like they were snatching random fruits off the streets of west hollywood or san fran and trying to cure them

Traden4Alpha

October 1st, 2012, 3:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaThe fatal flaw in social conservatism is that it's so poorly suited to a larger world in which different people think and behave differently (THE HORROR!).every so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent.I wouldn't go that far. But if the lifestyle involves consenting adults, then yes.QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperThe ban applies only to those under 18 and I presume that those affected by the ban would have been admitted for treatment at either their own or their parents' behest.It's not like they were snatching random fruits off the streets of west hollywood or san fran and trying to cure themThe presumption that "fruits" need a "cure" is a disease itself.Hmmm... I wonder how we might "cure" social conservatism???

ppauper

October 1st, 2012, 5:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperevery so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent.I wouldn't go that far. But if the lifestyle involves consenting adults, then yes.we're not talking about consenting adults here, we're talking about kids. And as for consenting adults, I take it that you feel that those adults have just as much right to be cured of homosexuality if they so choose as they do to engage in it ?One issue for the sodomites is the age old question of natute versus nurture: they argue that they are born homosexual, and if homosexuality can be cured that damages their argumentQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperThe ban applies only to those under 18 and I presume that those affected by the ban would have been admitted for treatment at either their own or their parents' behest.It's not like they were snatching random fruits off the streets of west hollywood or san fran and trying to cure themThe presumption that "fruits" need a "cure" is a disease itself.Hmmm... I wonder how we might "cure" social conservatism???what about the presumption that some but not all fruits might want a cure ? george will used to joke that liberalism was cured when your kids need orthodontics

Traden4Alpha

October 1st, 2012, 6:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperevery so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent.I wouldn't go that far. But if the lifestyle involves consenting adults, then yes.we're not talking about consenting adults here, we're talking about kids. And as for consenting adults, I take it that you feel that those adults have just as much right to be cured of homosexuality if they so choose as they do to engage in it ?One issue for the sodomites is the age old question of natute versus nurture: they argue that they are born homosexual, and if homosexuality can be cured that damages their argumentOne can psychologically treat/traumatize people into doing many of things. Whether the post-treatment state is "natural" is independent of whether the post-treatment state is achievable. If a heterosexual person could be converted to a homosexual by a "cure" would that "damage the argument" that heterosexuality is normal?QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperThe ban applies only to those under 18 and I presume that those affected by the ban would have been admitted for treatment at either their own or their parents' behest.It's not like they were snatching random fruits off the streets of west hollywood or san fran and trying to cure themThe presumption that "fruits" need a "cure" is a disease itself.Hmmm... I wonder how we might "cure" social conservatism???what about the presumption that some but not all fruits might want a cure ? george will used to joke that liberalism was cured when your kids need orthodonticsAnd some people want a bagel head to "cure" having a normal one.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on September 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2012, 6:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelCalifornia does not think that you can pray someone straight.it's not an issue that Governor Moonbeam (in his second incarnation) doesn't think that you can pray someone straight, it's that Governor Moonbeam thinks that homosexuality is normal and doesn't need to be cured.Just like people of religion X think people of religion not(X) are not normal and need to be cured.The fatal flaw in social conservatism is that it's so poorly suited to a larger world in which different people think and behave differently (THE HORROR!).Just like Big, Middle and Little Endians, what's drummed into a kid's skull.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

daveangel

October 3rd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Farmer eaten by his pigs

Traden4Alpha

October 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelFarmer eaten by his pigsAs long as it didn't happen at a historic site in Rome, it's OK.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On