SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: America - Home of Bugs Bunny

August 18th, 2018, 10:45 am

At least 7 Pennsylvania priests accused of sex abuse were sent to Toronto-area clergy rehab

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4788215

ppauper

August 18th, 2018, 10:57 am

those pedophiles belong in prison
Francis has to take responsibility
If they find a pedophile, don't just move him on to new feeding grounds. hand him over to the cops

Cuchulainn

August 18th, 2018, 11:34 am

If they find a pedophile, don't just move him on to new feeding grounds. hand him over to the cops
Canon Law first needs to be changed. See Chapter VI, article 3

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P2C.HTM

In short, Francis cannot fire these criminals. His hands are tied.

ppauper

August 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Canon Law first needs to be changed. See Chapter VI, article 3

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P2C.HTM

In short, Francis cannot fire these criminals. His hands are tied.
I'm not following your logic here
For example
Can. 696 §1. A member can also be dismissed for other causes provided that they are grave, external, imputable, and juridically proven such as: ...... grave scandal arising from the culpable behavior of the member.......
and
Can. 703 In the case of grave external scandal or of most grave imminent harm to the institute, a member can be expelled immediately from a religious house by the major superior or, if there is danger in delay, by the local superior with the consent of the council. If it is necessary, the major superior is to take care to begin a process of dismissal according to the norm of law or is to refer the matter to the Apostolic See.
Raping young children would be a "grave external scandal"

Cuchulainn

August 25th, 2018, 9:33 am

The Church has traditionally not been interested (and probably still not, especially in far right circles) in civil. law, so for example child abuse is not mentioned in canon law.

The only country in the world that can put criminal clergy on trial in a civil court is the USA. This should be standardised IMO.

ppauper

August 25th, 2018, 10:02 am

The Church has traditionally not been interested (and probably still not) in civil. law, so for example child abuse is not mentioned in canon law.

The only country in the world that can put criminal clergy on trial in a civil court is the USA. This should be standardised IMO.
the word "civil" is unfortunate as people refer to criminal and civil courts
Catholic priests have been put on trial in criminal courts in Australia and Canada, not sure where else

perhaps spiritual (or ecclesiastical) versus temporal courts

Ordinance of William I
Separating the Spiritual and Temporal Courts.
William by the grace of God King of the English, to R. Bainard and G. de Magnavilla, and P. de Valoines, and to my other faithful ones of Essex and of Hertfordshire and of Middlesex, greeting. Know all of you and my ther faithful ones who remain in England, that in a common council and by the advice of the archbishops and bishops, and abbots, and of all the princes of my kingdom, I have decided that the episcopal laws, which up to my Rime in the kingdom of the English have not been right or "according to the precepts of the holy canons, shall be emended. Wherefore I command, and by royal authority decree, that no bishop or archdeacon shall any longer hold, in the hundred court, pleas pertaining to the episcopal laws, nor shall they bring before the judgment of secular men any case which pertains to the rule of souls; but whoever shall be summoned, according to the episcopal laws, in any case or for any fault, shall come to the place which the bishop shall choose or name for this purpose, and shall there answer in his case or for his fault, and shall perform his law before God and his bishop not according to the hundred court, but according to the canons and the episcopal laws. But if any one, elated by pride, shall scorn or be unwilling to come before the judgment seat of the bishop, he shall be summoned once and a second and a third time; and if not even then he come to make amends, he shall be excommunicated; and, if it be needful to give effect to this, the power and justice of the king or the sheriff shall be called in But he who was summoned before the judgment seat of the bishop shall, for each summons, pay the episcopal fine. This also I forbid and by my authority interdict, that any sheriff, or provost, or minister of the king, or any layman concern himself in the matter of laws which pertain to the bishop, nor shall any layman summon another man to judgment apart from the jurisdiction of the bishop. But judgment shall be passed in no place except within the episcopal see, or in such place as the bishop shall fix upon for this purpose.
aka William the Conqueror or William the Bastard
it's cut and pasted as is, but some of the transcription looks suspect, e.g. perhaps "up to my Rime" should be "up to my time"

Cuchulainn

August 26th, 2018, 11:19 am

Child abuse scandal is war 'between church and world', says Italian bishop

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... lic-church

Canon 489.2 states: that "Each year documents of criminal cases in matters of morals, in which the accused parties have died or 10 years have elapsed from the sentence, are to be destroyed. A summary of what occurred along with the text of the definitive sentence is to be retained."

Cuchulainn

August 26th, 2018, 2:01 pm

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0826/98763 ... ch-vigano/

A former top Vatican official and critic of Pope Francis has accused the Pontiff of having known of allegations of sex abuse by a prominent US cardinal for five years before accepting his resignation last month, and he has called on him to resign.

Dr Vigano, the papal ambassador in Washington from 2011 to 2016, said he had informed top Vatican officials as early as 2006 that Mr McCarrick was suspected of abusing adult seminarians while he was a bishop in two New Jersey dioceses between 1981 and 2001.

He said he never received a response to his 2006 memo.

ppauper

August 26th, 2018, 2:13 pm

not for the first time, francis has misjudged the mood.
He seems to be telling abuse victims in Ireland that what happened to them was simply awful and he feels their pain. No francis, you need to (a) stop the abuse and (b) help the temporal courts prosecute the perpetrators.

ppauper

August 26th, 2018, 5:05 pm

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0826/98763 ... ch-vigano/

A former top Vatican official and critic of Pope Francis has accused the Pontiff of having known of allegations of sex abuse by a prominent US cardinal for five years before accepting his resignation last month, and he has called on him to resign.

Dr Vigano, the papal ambassador in Washington from 2011 to 2016, said he had informed top Vatican officials as early as 2006 that Mr McCarrick was suspected of abusing adult seminarians while he was a bishop in two New Jersey dioceses between 1981 and 2001.

He said he never received a response to his 2006 memo.

Ex-Nuncio Accuses Pope Francis of Failing to Act on McCarrick’s Abuse

Pope Francis covered up McCarrick abuse, former US nuncio testifies (OFFICIAL TEXT)

If true, Francis should resign, and should be prosecuted in the US for his role in the sexual abuse of children

ppauper

August 26th, 2018, 8:30 pm

In an extraordinary 11-page written testament, a former apostolic nuncio to the United States has accused several senior prelates of complicity in covering up Archbishop Theodore McCarrick’s allegations of sexual abuse, and has claimed that Pope Francis knew about sanctions imposed on then-Cardinal McCarrick by Pope Benedict XVI but chose to repeal them.
which is what I've been saying: Benedict cracked down on the pederasts (although Benedict did nowhere near enough) and Francis eased the crackdown

bearish

August 27th, 2018, 2:13 am

Hard to make up for 1700-odd years of evil by one institution.

ppauper

August 27th, 2018, 5:28 am

there's been a shooting at a computer game tournament (evidently such things exist) at Jacksonville Landing in Florida which left the shooter and 2 others dead and several wounded.
The killer, David Katz, began shooting shortly after he lost the Madden NFL gaming tournament.
He's a white male who belongs to the "resistance" and  referred to supporters of the president as "trumptards"

ppauper

August 27th, 2018, 7:45 am

Hard to make up for 1700-odd years of evil by one institution.
this is something that arose after Vatican II which was in the early 1960s
“We know from the John Jay report, 81-percent of the victims were males, mostly teens. And we know because our subclass of predators are all male, this is a male-on-male crime, and primarily with teens between the ages of 14 to 17. Those are the victims.”
The Nature and Scope of the Problem of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests and Deacons in the United States, commonly known as the John Jay Report

Cuchulainn

August 27th, 2018, 8:10 am

I suggest your first cleaning up your own house, ppauper.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On