Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Scotland, land of Robert Burns

January 13th, 2009, 3:55 pm

originsAll Irish whiskeys are very good, Scotch SINGLE MALT is the bees knees ( != blended...) Cooley stuff
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 12th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 13th, 2009, 4:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: WilfridQuoteOriginally posted by: mackbarHow to Drink Scotch WhiskeyI say, shouldn't that be Whisky? I think you are mixing up your Scotch and Irish. No gentleman would ever do that, what?Indeed. But have you triedQuoteJapan's Nikka Yoichi 20 whisky, produced at the Yoichi Distillery near Sapporo onthe northerly Hokkaido Island, has recently been crowned the world's best singlemalt whisky in the World Whiskies Awards 2008, beating its perennial Scottish rivals tothe top prize. Experts put the win down to Yoichi 20's traditional productionmethods and more variable climate than in Scotland.

trackstar

January 13th, 2009, 4:04 pm

No water for me. And I trust that you all will forgive me for the spelling indiscretion.So many dialects to master at Wilmott.
Last edited by trackstar on January 12th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 13th, 2009, 4:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mackbarNo water for me. And I trust that you all will forgive me for the spelling indiscretion.These are very discerning people indeed. What about mountain tea if you are not inclined to pay excise duty, what?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 12th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

January 13th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Laphroaig, please.
Last edited by trackstar on January 12th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

You can't have a proper Robert Burns supper without:Haggis is delicious, either boiled into submission with tatters and neeps (hungryquant-style) or in a fancy-pants sauce (e.g., brandy-peppercorn cream sauce).Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!Aboon them a' ye tak your place,Painch, tripe, or thairm:Weel are ye wordy of a graceAs lang's my arm.The groaning trencher there ye fill,Your hurdies like a distant hill,Your pin wad help to mend a millIn time o' need,While thro' your pores the dews distilLike amber bead.His knife see rustic Labour dight,An' cut ye up wi' ready slight,Trenching your gushing entrails brightLike onie ditch;And then, O what a glorious sight,Warm-reekin, rich!Then, horn for horn, they strech an' strive:Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve,Are bent like drums;Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,'Bethankit!' hums.Is there that owre his French ragoutOr olio that wad staw a sow,Or fricassee wad mak her spewWi' perfect sconner,Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' viewOn sic a dinner?Poor devil! see him owre his trash,As feckless as a wither'd rash,His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,His nieve a nit;Thro' bluidy flood or field to dash,O how unfit!But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,The trembling earth resounds his tread.Clap in his walie nieve a blade,He'll make it whissle;An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,Like taps o' thrissle.Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,And dish them out their bill o 'fare,Auld Scotland wants nae skinking wareThat jaups in luggies;But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,Gie her a Haggis!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 14th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Scotland wants no wimpy food

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 22nd, 2009, 7:39 pm

Nelson Mandela's welcome to Glasgow

trackstar

February 24th, 2009, 2:12 am

Hiker in Ben Nevis

ppauper

February 24th, 2009, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnNelson Mandela's welcome to Glasgowwelcome to Glasgow and you're welcome to it ?

hungryquant

March 6th, 2009, 3:40 pm

the scots demonstrate they truly are the world leaders in deep fried innovation. I present the stonner :- A sausage, wrapped in kebab meat, then deep fried 8 )apparently customers are limited to one a week !stonner
Last edited by hungryquant on March 5th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

March 6th, 2009, 4:11 pm

HQ - you are something else!I am having a fruit granola bar just now - have you ever tried one? The last time I visited Scotland, it was October and seemed to be hurricane season in Oban. Torrential rains and wind - I still hiked all around, but drying the clothes out was a problem in the evening.Walking trails...
Last edited by trackstar on March 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 7th, 2009, 8:59 am

"To a Mouse", by R. Burns. The second-last verse inspired the title of a John Steinbeck novel. immortal wordsQuoteWEE, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie, O, what a panic’s in thy breastie! Thou need na start awa sae hasty, Wi’ bickering brattle! I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee, 5 Wi’ murd’ring pattle! I’m truly sorry man’s dominion, Has broken nature’s social union, An’ justifies that ill opinion, Which makes thee startle 10 At me, thy poor, earth-born companion, An’ fellow-mortal! I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve; What then? poor beastie, thou maun live! A daimen icker in a thrave 15 ’S a sma’ request; I’ll get a blessin wi’ the lave, An’ never miss’t! Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin! It’s silly wa’s the win’s are strewin! 20 An’ naething, now, to big a new ane, O’ foggage green! An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin, Baith snell an’ keen! Thou saw the fields laid bare an’ waste, 25 An’ weary winter comin fast, An’ cozie here, beneath the blast, Thou thought to dwell— Till crash! the cruel coulter past Out thro’ thy cell. 30 That wee bit heap o’ leaves an’ stibble, Has cost thee mony a weary nibble! Now thou’s turn’d out, for a’ thy trouble, But house or hald, To thole the winter’s sleety dribble, 35 An’ cranreuch cauld! But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain; The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men Gang aft agley, 40 An’lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain, For promis’d joy! Still thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me The present only toucheth thee: But, Och! I backward cast my e’e. 45 On prospects drear! An’ forward, tho’ I canna see, I guess an’ fear!
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 6th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

March 7th, 2009, 2:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn"To a Mouse", by R. Burns. The second-last verse inspired the title of a John Steinbeck novel. immortal wordsQuoteStill thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me The present only toucheth thee: But, Och! I backward cast my e’e. On prospects drear! An’ forward, tho’ I canna see, I guess an’ fear! This bit belongs in Paul's Modeler's Manifesto for sure. The financial industry's "wee bit heap o’ leaves an’ stibble, " is now facing "winter’s sleety dribble."

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

March 7th, 2009, 3:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainn"To a Mouse", by R. Burns. The second-last verse inspired the title of a John Steinbeck novel. immortal wordsQuoteStill thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me The present only toucheth thee: But, Och! I backward cast my e’e. On prospects drear! An’ forward, tho’ I canna see, I guess an’ fear! This bit belongs in Paul's Modeler's Manifesto for sure. The financial industry's "wee bit heap o’ leaves an’ stibble, " is now facing "winter’s sleety dribble."Indeed!I think each verse is relevant. Translation
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 6th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.