SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Scotland, land of Robert Burns

January 22nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaBut, I'm still hungover from his last birthday.Ah, you took your tour guide too literally

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 22nd, 2011, 8:35 pm

Robert Burns, to a mouse

Traden4Alpha

January 22nd, 2011, 8:52 pm

Literal liberal libations lead to lumbering loquacious libertines.

Traden4Alpha

January 22nd, 2011, 8:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnRobert Burns, to a mouseWha' a wee sleekit bit 'o verbal stibble.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 22nd, 2011, 8:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaLiteral liberal libations lead to lumbering loquacious libertines.In vino caritas.

Traden4Alpha

January 22nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaLiteral liberal libations lead to lumbering loquacious libertines.In vino caritas.In vino memoriam damnum.

hayes

January 25th, 2011, 7:38 am

The GraceQuoteSome hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it; But we hae meat, and we can eat, And sae let the Lord be thankit. Address To a Haggis Quote Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!Aboon them a' ye tak your place,Painch, tripe, or thairm:Weel are ye wordy o' a graceAs lang's my arm. The groaning trencher there ye fill,Your hurdies like a distant hill,Your pin wad help to mend a millIn time o' need,While thro' your pores the dews distilLike amber bead. His knife see rustic Labour dicht,An' cut you up wi' ready slicht,Trenching your gushing entrails bricht,Like ony ditch;And then, O what a glorious sicht,Warm-reekin, rich! Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:Deil tak the hindmaist! on they drive,Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve,Are bent like drums;Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,"Bethankit" hums. Is there that o're his French ragoutOr olio that wad staw a sow,Or fricassee wad mak her spewWi' perfect scunner,Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' viewOn sic a dinner? Poor devil! see him ower his trash,As feckless as a wither'd rash,His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,His nieve a nit;Thro' bloody flood or field to dash,O how unfit! But mark the Rustic, haggis fed,The trembling earth resounds his tread.Clap in his wallie nieve a blade,He'll mak it whistle;An' legs an' arms, an' heads will sned,Like taps o' thristle. Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,And dish them out their bill o' fare,Auld Scotland wants nae skinkin wareThat jaups in luggies;But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,Gie her a haggis!

ppauper

January 25th, 2011, 8:52 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesAddress To a Haggis do you talk to all of your food ?

hayes

January 25th, 2011, 9:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesAddress To a Haggis do you talk to all of your food ?Only on special occasions, and never with my mouth full.

Traden4Alpha

January 27th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Q. Why wouldn't the sheep eat the haggis?A. It no longer had the stomach for it.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 27th, 2011, 11:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQ. Why wouldn't the sheep eat the haggis?A. It no longer had the stomach for it.I think you have been watching too much ewetube.com

Traden4Alpha

January 27th, 2011, 11:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQ. Why wouldn't the sheep eat the haggis?A. It no longer had the stomach for it.I think you have been watching too much ewetube.comOr drinkign too much lambic

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 27th, 2011, 11:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQ. Why wouldn't the sheep eat the haggis?A. It no longer had the stomach for it.I think you have been watching too much ewetube.comOr drinkign too much lambicI believe you!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 25th, 2012, 9:49 am

A good poem for the supper tonight.Flow gently, sweet Afton! amang thy green braes,Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise;My Mary's asleep by thy murmuring stream,Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream.Thou stockdove whose echo resounds thro' the glen,Ye wild whistling blackbirds in yon thorny den,Thou green-crested lapwing thy screaming forbear,I charge you, disturb not my slumbering Fair.How lofty, sweet Afton, thy neighbouring hills,Far mark'd with the courses of clear, winding rills;There daily I wander as noon rises high,My flocks and my Mary's sweet cot in my eye.How pleasant thy banks and green valleys below,Where, wild in the woodlands, the primroses blow;There oft, as mild Ev'ning weeps over the lea,The sweet-scented birk shades my Mary and me.Thy crystal stream, Afton, how lovely it glides,And winds by the cot where my Mary resides;How wanton thy waters her snowy feet lave,As, gathering sweet flowerets, she stems thy clear wave.Flow gently, sweet Afton, amang thy green braes,Flow gently, sweet river, the theme of my lays;My Mary's asleep by thy murmuring stream,Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream. Afton water
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

January 25th, 2012, 10:05 am

happy burns day
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On