Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper
Topic Author

tesla pc "supercomputer"

December 5th, 2008, 2:01 pm

World's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"

tags

tesla pc "supercomputer"

July 11th, 2014, 6:15 am

Stolen Tesla?s Fatality-Free L.A. Crash Surprises Experts

ppauper
Topic Author

tesla pc "supercomputer"

July 11th, 2014, 7:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaStolen Tesla?s Fatality-Free L.A. Crash Surprises Expertsthe electric car thread

tags

tesla pc "supercomputer"

July 11th, 2014, 7:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaStolen Tesla?s Fatality-Free L.A. Crash Surprises Expertsthe electric car threadThanks. I search "tesla" with the search engine. And was return the supercomputer tesla thread only.

tags

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 6th, 2015, 9:08 pm

NOAA: cheap but super?

Collector

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 6th, 2015, 9:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?

Cuchulainn

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 10:40 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.

tags

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 10:49 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.just like good trades.

Cuchulainn

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 11:14 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.just like good trades.Right time to enter, and exit I reckon.(?)

Traden4Alpha

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 2:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.Funny how the people that spend years studying and working a field tend to be the luckiest.

Cuchulainn

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 2:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.Funny how the people that spend years studying and working a field tend to be the luckiest.Examples:Maxwell, Pasteur, Edison, Faraday and Eureka. What these guys have in common is that they stumbled on their inventions by chance.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 6th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 3:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.Funny how the people that spend years studying and working a field tend to be the luckiest.Examples:Maxwell, Pasteur, Edison, Faraday and Eureka. What these guys have in common is that they stumbled on their inventions by chance.My wife has extensively studied Pasteur & Edison and their discoveries were the antithesis of chance. Both of them put in thousands of hours of study, research, and experimentation to create what they created. She's not looked at Maxwell or Faraday but a cursory reading of their wikipedia pages seems to imply that both had the mathematical skills and empirical inclinations to make intentional discoveries -- chemicals, lenses, batteries, coils, and magnets don't self-assemble by chance.

Cuchulainn

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 4:04 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.Funny how the people that spend years studying and working a field tend to be the luckiest.Examples:Maxwell, Pasteur, Edison, Faraday and Eureka. What these guys have in common is that they stumbled on their inventions by chance.My wife has extensively studied Pasteur & Edison and their discoveries were the antithesis of chance. Both of them put in thousands of hours of study, research, and experimentation to create what they created. She's not looked at Maxwell or Faraday but a cursory reading of their wikipedia pages seems to imply that both had the mathematical skills and empirical inclinations to make intentional discoveries -- chemicals, lenses, batteries, coils, and magnets don't self-assemble by chance.Once the eureka has been found then it becomes production I suppose. I bow to your wife's knowledge but the anecdotes suggest otherwise. The unconscious mind is a source in maths. See Hadamard's book on the psychology of invention in the mathematical field.

trackstar

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 4:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe unconscious mind is a source in maths. See Hadamard's book on the psychology of invention in the mathematical field.Math and other solutions. My favorite story for this sort of thing is Kekulé's dream about the benzene ring.We learned about it in high school chemistry - an amazing story. (I still have the text book and my own drawing of the snake biting his tail - I gave him a crafty little smile. )So right place, right time, right intuition, and right interpretation.Kekulé could have said to himself, "I wish those snakes would stay out of my dreams."But he interpreted the message correctly instead.
Last edited by trackstar on January 6th, 2015, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

tesla pc "supercomputer"

January 7th, 2015, 4:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: CollectorQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperWorld's first personal supercomputer unveiledlooks like a workstation to me.Anyone getting one ?4000+ GBP and 250 times faster than "an average pc"what happened with the 1999 personal supercomputer (for climate research)are u talking about the first personal supercomputer for non climate research?QuoteBut Mousie, thou art no thy lane, In proving foresight may be vain: The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!Robert BurnsMost real innovation happen by chance and luck anyways.Funny how the people that spend years studying and working a field tend to be the luckiest.Examples:Maxwell, Pasteur, Edison, Faraday and Eureka. What these guys have in common is that they stumbled on their inventions by chance.My wife has extensively studied Pasteur & Edison and their discoveries were the antithesis of chance. Both of them put in thousands of hours of study, research, and experimentation to create what they created. She's not looked at Maxwell or Faraday but a cursory reading of their wikipedia pages seems to imply that both had the mathematical skills and empirical inclinations to make intentional discoveries -- chemicals, lenses, batteries, coils, and magnets don't self-assemble by chance.Once the eureka has been found then it becomes production I suppose. I bow to your wife's knowledge but the anecdotes suggest otherwise. The unconscious mind is a source in maths. See Hadamard's book on the psychology of invention in the mathematical field.Her studies of the anecdotes show that they seldom tell the whole story. Whether it's humility or a lack of self-awareness, many anecdotes about inventions or discoveries seem to gloss over the large role of training, cultivated mindset, and empirical work that precedes the oft quoted "Eureka" moment. For example, Edison tested 900 different filament materials to "discover" the light bulb -- lucky him!Unlike what would be expected if discovery/invention were stochastic, most people make no significant discoveries in their lives and those people who do make discoveries tend to make many of them.P(person_i_makes_discovery_n | person_i_makes_discovery_n-1) >> P(person_i_makes_discovery_1)A very small percentage of people seem repeatedly "lucky" in making multiple discoveries and if one studies their lives, the source of that luck seems quite clear.