SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: A Music Game II for 2009

May 28th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2020, 6:28 am

Too much irrelevant input. And "music IQ" is not defined. Liberals arts department survey?
Waste of time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jI9I03q8E
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4HtlbS5DI

Music is about EQ. Maybe someone should tell 'em.

katastrofa

May 29th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Yeah, but I was bored while Leela was dancing on my keyboard. There's Steven Pinker name on it, as you might have guessed. He has published another grievous crime against statistics in Science or Nature recently - this time he's an expert on regional music of the world.
As a typical Ukrainian folk (who attended the music school and happens to read randomly selected scientific articles while their cats don't let them work - and that's how they localised the quiz) I probably contributed to the research sample for some pinkerish study. I'm IQ 115, but Leela answered a few questions for me :-)

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2020, 3:35 pm

OK, I did it and got 107

mistuning perceptron 117
melodic discrimination 104
The beat alignment 101 (started getting tired at that stage)

IQ 115 is very good
Did you get high marks for rhythm?

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2020, 3:47 pm

My sister only has to hear something once (except Abba, she had to order the sheet music from Sweden) and she can play it on the piano. At an exam, she played Mozart while pretending to read the sheet music.

She is also pitch perfect.

katastrofa

May 29th, 2020, 7:14 pm

I have younger ears, which makes a big difference. You'd probably do better than I when you were 41.
Last edited by katastrofa on May 29th, 2020, 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I have younger ears, which makes a big difference. You'd probably do better than I when you were 35.
How do you keep them so young?

Cuchulainn

May 30th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Junior got
IQ: 113

mistuning perceptron 108 (hihi I got 117)
melodic discrimination 112
The beat alignment 120 (well, he is a drummer)

Kats, what do you get for those 3 parts?

katastrofa

May 30th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I didn't check unfortunately, but I remember that I made only one mistake per mistuning perception (I actually though both pieces were equally false!) and melodic discrimination, and completely messed up the beat alignment :-)
Mistuning perception was easy for me - it physically hurts me when I hear singing or music out of tune.

Cuchulainn

May 30th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I didn't check unfortunately, but I remember that I made only one mistake per mistuning perception (I actually though both pieces were equally false!) and melodic discrimination, and completely messed up the beat alignment :-)
Mistuning perception was easy for me - it physically hurts me when I hear singing or music out of tune.
Same with me and MP.

What about this for 1970 style BA?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQWOne1sfo

And Shangilas always sang out of tune.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ge8_6rtQvs

katastrofa

May 30th, 2020, 9:55 pm

This resolves to consonances before my old lazy brain lits up :-)

The Velvet Underground - Topic

Meisterstück: a chaotic crowd of dissonant sounds, which push, kick and jostle you into bifurcations - unpredictable resolving consonances. Cognitive dissonance was the sign of Velvet's times: "WTF, this is music?" went in pair with visual arts: Warhol's banana - "this is art?", post-war politics - "this is freedom?", or "this is science?". Today still refreshing to listen, but we've already understood that they screwed us over... Oh wait, AI will save us.

I had a lot of sun today :-D
Last edited by katastrofa on May 31st, 2020, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

May 31st, 2020, 12:40 am

We've had a lot of fun here with Venus in Furs over the years, but actually my favorite song from early VU is: 

I'm Waiting for the Man - Velvet Underground with Nico

Doesn't have to be a man, if you have ever waited for lockdown to end, takeout food to be ready, your trade to execute (in the old days), or anything else that you wanted right now - this is your song.

Also interesting that Lou changed this up sometimes when he played it in concert; here is a slow, bluesy take on it from 1972:

Lou Reed - I'm Waiting for My Man BEST LIVE (NYC '72)

But speedy and electric, or languorous and dreamy, one thing is always true:

"He's never early, 
He's always late
First thing you learn
is that you always gotta wait..."

I think I told you folks that I met Lou at a party at the Sundance Film Festival in '98. 
A very random and yet deterministic event at the same time. :  )

katastrofa

May 31st, 2020, 12:22 pm

You guys had good times. I guess it ended somewhere around Track's generation coming of age. My generation was left without delusions. We even developed various quacks like the whole AI, who sell us promises of better future like drugs.
Some time ago I read guidelines for applications for a critical research grant. The pressure on using "AI methods" was annoying. The governments clearly want to prove that the money they invested in this snake oil will pay off. Today, if you make people choose between a story "I just tossed some data from Twitter into this deep neural network approximator, and the answer comes out of it." and "Here is a 20 page description of data sources and methods used, and here are 50k lines of documented code which produced those results. Enjoy reading!" they will chose the first approach (also because the second gave wider confidence intervals - assuming the first calculates any). I'm praying for the AI hype to pass before it's too late. Maybe it's not too late after all...

trackstar
Topic Author

May 31st, 2020, 12:54 pm

Maybe when people are younger and haven't observed a bunch of business cycles, they are more frustrated with hype.

To me it's just another flavor of the signal/noise problem.  You can discern the signal by spending time in university labs, selective reading, following enduring industry trends and companies that survive, and reflecting on history - and by that I mean back into the 20th century. He he.

As someone who explored and then left AI in the early 1990s (even around MIT and its ecosystem - it was nuclear winter and computing was simply not where it needed to be to go faster anyway), I am still excited by this field and what we can do now.  That is not marketing fluff; it is real. (Although people who write marketing fluff can also be genuinely interested in the subjects and are just paying their bills and buying vacation homes far from the Madding crowd, just like other sensible forward-thinking people).  

Here are two books from my library that map out the early days of AI and machine intelligence.  The first goes way back and has delightful interviews:

Talking Nets: An Oral History of Neural Networks - The MIT Press

Strategic Computing DARPA and the Quest for Machine Intelligence, 1983-1993

The second focuses on the role of government funding in developing the field over that decade - so big money and then really big money for awhile and then deemed a failure and pulled back.  But still the quest survived!

A question I think about sometime - "What if I had stayed the course after 1992?"  One thing is for certain - for better or for worse, I would not be who I am now! : D
AIAlgobooks.JPG
Introduction to Algorithms (Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein) is a little bonus here - now in its third edition (this is the second edition) and was part of my second foray. Great reading for a Sunday morning, or midnight anytime... ; )

Introduction to Algorithms 3rd edition - The MIT Press   noted for its rigor and comprehensiveness. 

And now I am in my third foray.  Will it be my last?  I guess that depends on longevity! 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On