SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper
Topic Author

Re: happy valentine's day

February 15th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I don't know how often it happens, but this year Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent) fell on St Valentine's Day. Good catholics are supposed to fast and give up things like chocolate and liquor, which makes celebrating St Valentine's difficult
It's a hold-over from moon worship.
the moon god and st valentine

Cuchulainn

February 15th, 2018, 3:31 pm

I don't know how often it happens, but this year Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent) fell on St Valentine's Day. Good catholics are supposed to fast and give up things like chocolate and liquor, which makes celebrating St Valentine's difficult
And the a-la carte variety?

ppauper
Topic Author

February 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

And the a-la carte variety?
cafeteria Catholics is the term I've come across before, and I assume it wouldn't be an issue for them as they pick and choose.

Same with St Patrick's Day (17 March), they claim they have dispensation from the Pope to break Lent and get bombed

wiki tells me that Ash Wednesday is exactly 46 days before Easter Sunday, and can occur between 4 February (with Easter on 22 March in a non-leap year) and 10 March (with Easter on 25 April)

katastrofa

February 15th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Especially that they already have Mardi Gras around that time.

Fried ice-cream seem so vulgar compared to chocolate truffle covered with a dark chocolate shell and slivered almonds. I apologise for that suggestion.

Try to guess what this is (unfortunately it's been devoured - with the help of my filthy fingers - before I noticed the photo wasn't focused on the food object):
IMG_428.jpg

trackstar

February 15th, 2018, 8:06 pm

No worries - hypothetical fried ice cream eater is not the worst accusation one has ever seen around here. :D

That looks like:

A banana skin
A limp bean pod of some kind
A strip of eggplant

I have really gotten into diverse recipes for eggplants lately and recently made roasted eggplant wedges with a balsamic pomegranate molasses sauce and caramelized red onion relish.

Delicious - straight from the Lebanese Kitchen.

I will post a link to the relevant cookbook if any of you are feeling adventurous...

katastrofa

February 15th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Lebanese for me is couscous. I'd be interested to see if they were as creative with it as Scots with oats.

The slice in the photo is actually a portobello mushroom. It's supposed to taste and look like carpaccio (because the shortest way to a vegan heart is plant-based food pretending to be meat). It was really tasty and light though. Here's a recipe (requires marinating overnight).

trackstar

February 15th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Here it is:

Rosewater and Orange Blossoms

Many wonderful things inside.

Traden4Alpha

February 15th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Portobello mushroom is yummers! It's great marinated with sauces such as soy, teriyaki, or balsamic vinegar.

I've made a soup with them (mix of shredded & sliced portobellos) with pureed walnuts in the broth to add some oil, protein, and more earthy flavor.

katastrofa

February 16th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Those portobellos were marinated in miso (but in the end didn't taste like miso at all), baked and served with pistachios, lemon zest and juice. It's never come my mind to marinate portobellos, but now I will have to try out some recipes.

Thanks for the book, trackstar. It don't look that foreign. I actually often use rose water and orange blossom in cakes and puddings (they usually go with cardamom and pistachios).

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2018, 10:43 am

Lebanese for me is couscous. I'd be interested to see if they were as creative with it as Scots with oats.
No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge

tagoma

February 17th, 2018, 9:56 pm

At Ninewells hospital In Dundee, I remember they seved porridge topped with custard. Yummie!

ppauper
Topic Author

February 17th, 2018, 10:06 pm

At Ninewells hospital In Dundee, I remember they seved porridge topped with custard. Yummie!
yummy indeed.
I was googling "porridge with custard" and got as far as -c-u when google suggested "porridge with curry." Gross

Cuchulainn

February 17th, 2018, 10:09 pm

No Real Scotsman would put porridge on his custard.

ppauper
Topic Author

February 9th, 2019, 10:18 am

if you're at a loose end on valentine's, maybe go to the zoo
El Paso Zoo will name a cockroach after your ex and feed it to their meerkats

katastrofa

February 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I have a zoo at home. Find a wild cat and a macaque's butthole in the photo:
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On