Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

Selected Poems - International

November 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Here is the original, in Polish:Upojenie Jest wiatr, co nozdrza mężczyzny rozchyla;Jest taki wiatr.Jest mróz, co szczęki mężczyzny zmarmurza;Jest taki mróz.Nie jesteś dla mnie tymianek ni róża,Ani też "czuła pod miesiącem chwila" -Lecz ciemny wiatr,Lecz biały mróz.Jest deszcz, co wargi kobiety odmienia;Jest taki deszcz.Jest blask, co uda kobiety odsłania;Jest taki blask.Nie szukasz we mnie silnego ramienia,Ani ci w myśli "klejnot zaufania",Lecz słony deszcz,Lecz złoty blask.Jest skwar, co ciała kochanków spopiela;Jest taki skwar.Jest śmierć, co oczy kochanków rozszerza;Jest taka śmierć.Oto na rośnych polanach WeselaZ kości słoniowej unosi się wieżaCzysta jak skwar,Gładka jak śmierć.- Stanislaw Grochowiak
Last edited by trackstar on November 4th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan

November 19th, 2012, 8:54 pm

QuoteMay you always have work for your hands to do.May your pockets hold always a coin or two.May the sun shine bright on your windowpane. May the rainbow be certain to follow each rain.May the hand of a friend always be near you.And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.- Irish Blessing
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

ExSan

November 21st, 2012, 3:17 pm

Alguien a la entrada del museo del Prado en Madrid me dio la siguiente nota, verano 2012:QuoteHoy es miercoles 30 de Mayo. Han pasado setenta y ocho dias desde que hablamos por ultima vez. Se que te dije que no te seguiria hasta aqui, hasta Madrid.Pero como puedes pretender que mantenga mi palabra cuando los acontecimientos del momento estan pidiendo a gritos que este cerca de ti? La ultima vez que te vi me pediste que te explicara que queria, por que tu no tenias ni la mas remota idea. Pero ni siquiera tienes un color favorito, dijiste. Pero no es verdad. Mi color favorito es el tuyo. Mi plato favorito, el tuyo. Por que te enfada eso tanto? Tengo mis propias ideas, pero mi deseo no piensa; es un eco, un golpe que retumba. Soy tan tuya. Ya no soy mia.Autor Desconocida
Last edited by ExSan on November 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
°°° About ExSan bit.ly/3U5bIdq °°°

EBal

November 22nd, 2012, 2:55 am

The Violin - A Little Bit NervousThe violin got all worked up, imploringthen suddenly burst into sobs,so child-likethat the drum couldn't stand it:"All right, all right, all right!"But then he got tired,couldn't wait till the violin ended,slipped out on the burning Kuznetskyand took flight.The orchestra looked on, chilly,while the violin wept itself outwithout reasonor rhyme,and only somewhere,a cymbal, silly,kept clashing:"What is it,what's all the racket about?"And when the helicon,brass-faced,sweaty,hollared:"Crazy!Crybaby!Be still!"I staggered,on to my feet getting,and lumbered over the horror-stuck music stands,yelling,"Good God"why, I myself couldn't tell;then dashed, my arms round the wooden neck to fling:"You know what, violin,we're awfully alike;I tooalways yell,but can't prove a thing!"The musicains commented,contemptuously smiling:"Look at him-come to his wooden-bride-tee-hee!"But I don't care-I'm a good guy-"You know, what, violin,let's live together,eh?".The Violin

Ultraviolet

November 22nd, 2012, 7:10 am

Music background :-)

rmax

January 9th, 2013, 8:00 am

A nice on-line anthology. A single poem for each poet, and not necessarily the most famous or popular, but each one I have read so far are all very good. Enjoy:Poetry by Heart

exneratunrisk

January 9th, 2013, 9:14 am

Borrowed TimeHarder days are coming.The loan of borrowed timewill be due on the horizen.Soon you must lace up your bootsand chase the hounds back to the marsh farms.For the entrails of fishhave grown cold in the wind.Dimly burns the light of lupines.Your gaze makes out in fog:the loan of borrowed timewill be due on the horizon.There your loved one sinks in sand;it rises up to her windblown hair,it cuts her short,it commands her to be silent,it discovers she's mortaland willing to leave youafter every embrace.Don't look around.Lace up your boots.Chase back the hounds.Throw the fish into the sea.Put out the lupines!Harder days are coming. by Ingeborg Bachmann (again)

exneratunrisk

January 9th, 2013, 9:24 am

I must be the prisoner, unless I'm crazy, for my clothes are prison clothes, and I am wearing prison clothes, am I not? Thomas BernhardDrinking killed my Easter, my Pentecost,that turtledove madness tickles my thigh.The long nights never cease in the leastwhen it comes to my diabetic insanity.Am I just a bucket?s worth of torture?Am I dead? Are my suicide threats lies?My froth has spun around half the globe.I am stretched out in my prison clothes.My feet think and my mind wanders off.From head to toe the world?s nothing morethan an age of depravity and rot.And the city itself is the murderer! Thomas Bernhard
Last edited by exneratunrisk on January 8th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

January 20th, 2013, 4:31 pm

My great friend Kathy published her first first book, very recently.It is made of poems. In Kathy's own words "this book is more than [a compilation of poetry]. Sienna Soul tells a story, and the story is entirely in verse. It's about a woman who has had bad luck with men & relationships her whole life. After her 3rd divorce - from a very rich man - she takes her divorce money & moves to a little town in Mexico, where she opens a small cafe & gets involved in the lives of her staff & the people who live in the tiny town."Kathy is a survivor. I appreciate her writings. I admire her. Please have a look at Sienna Soul's Solitary Desert Café. One can read a couple of poems there, and/or buy the (cheap) book.
Last edited by tags on January 19th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

July 4th, 2013, 3:36 am

UV questioned Errrb's command of the Russian language and so here is an example from some time ago. It has strong imagery and is consistent with his prose style.QuoteOriginally posted by: ErrrbWhen I was younger, I used to write poems (in Russian). Here is one of them: У меня зачесалась нога,Только мне почесать её не удалось!Где же бляха нога? Простыня вся в крови,А из жопы торчит безобразная кость!Только я закурил, вижу, блядь, за окномТрое мрачных жлобов, смачно чавкая жрутМою бедную ногу с молдавским виномНа бильярдном столе, где ебутся и срут!Я просил их отдать, ну хотя бы икру,Там вчера записал я её телефон.Самый наглый из них, ковыряясь в носу,Погрозил мне огромным ржавым гвоздём.Я к окошку подполз, и гранату швырнулНегодяям пиздец! Негодяям хана!Всё же я молодец, вот хожу без ногиВсё ебло в орденах, мной гордится страна!For the skeptics out there, I ran the first few lines in Google search and it does appear to be original - the first and only matching hit leads us right here.
Last edited by trackstar on July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet

July 4th, 2013, 5:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarUV questioned Errrb's command of the Russian language ...Just for the record, I haven't question anyone's command of Russian language.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

July 4th, 2013, 11:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarUV questioned Errrb's command of the Russian language ...Just for the record, I haven't question anyone's command of Russian language.The comments in question; the audience can decide what their own interpretation of the meaning is:(From the Snowden thread)1) QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarNot zerdna.Much better!This is very good for the OT. But he could definitely be zerdna: he's annoying, big-headed and pretends that he's Russian (while the language mistakes he makes suggest that he's Spanish).and 2) QuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: UltravioletWell, zerdna is from the US and this person is from the UK. But it's just one letter difference so I was close.I thought you said that Positron was Spanish. Must have been the way he Quixotically tilts at windmills that led you to that conclusion.He made some grammar errors common to Spanish speakers (direct translations of Spanish phrases to English). I don't know where he comes from - I just wanted everyone to put all information they have about him in one thread.It would take a considerable effort to put all the information about him into one thread, but it is easy to sarch by author and then choose some of the longest and most contentious threads from that group. Even a fairly random sampling will give a good sense of the interests and character.Maybe cross reference minarets, camels, toxic trash, and Errrb himself (two longish threads already exploring his nature and identity).
Last edited by trackstar on July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraviolet

July 4th, 2013, 11:16 am

Sigh... as I said, I haven't question his command of English. But let the audience decide.

trackstar
Topic Author

July 4th, 2013, 11:19 am

Just relax, it doesn't matter if his native language is Russian, Spanish, or Portuguese, though Portuguese would have interesting implications.This is mainly a digression from the Snowden discussion and a kind of extended party celebrating the return of a weird old friend.

exneratunrisk

July 4th, 2013, 11:25 am

Don't care too much about languages - expressiveness has more possibilitiesThe Groan of Mona Lisa