SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: News from Outer Space

October 1st, 2017, 3:04 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Inflation does feel like it's built on a house of cards.  The challenge is to trace the web of theory and empirical results to see where/how the situation might be different than assumed.

Gravity shielding or push gravity would seem easy to test just by looking at orbits of GPS satellites which surely pass through the "shadow" of the Earth and Moon with high frequency.  Quickie estimates suggest that an Earth shadow effect of only 0.02 billionths of a G would distort GPS satellite orbits by a very noticeable 1 km per year.

Naturally only observable when the earth turn on its ceramic shadow shield (push the Red Button and eat the Blue Pill) ?- :

"It is known that ordinary superconductor reveals no shielding properties against gravitational force, but in Podkletnov
experiment, a specially prepared ceramic superconductor can reveal a weak gravitational shielding effect"

I think too early to say, many different gravitational shielding theories/ideas, several not fully explored

"In 1992, E.E. Podkletnov and R. Nieminen found that under certain conditions, ceramic superconductor with composite structure reveals weak shielding properties against gravitational force. In classical Newton's theory of gravity and even in Einstein's general theory of gravity, there are no grounds of gravitational shielding effects. But in quantum gauge theory of gravity, the gravitational shielding effects can be explained in a simple and natural way. "
Gravitational Shielding Effect in Gauge Theory of Gravity IOP Communications in Theoretical Physics

full paper arxiv

"Without a doubt, gravitational shielding effect found by E.Podkletnov and R.Nieminen is an important effect, which may cause a scientific evolution in the near
future, or even change our life style. We can imagine that, in the near future, people can walk” freely in the sky without a wing."

"Podkletnov withdrew his second paper after it had been initially accepted. The resulting furor over the alleged claims in the withdrawn paper is reported to be the primary reason for his expulsion from his lab and the termination of his employment at the university".  wikipedia...Did he push push gravity too hard?

ppauper

October 3rd, 2017, 3:35 pm

Collector

October 5th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Collector

October 5th, 2017, 9:18 pm

ppauper wrote:

The Trump Wave?

Traden4Alpha

October 6th, 2017, 12:18 am

Collector wrote:
ppauper wrote:

The Trump Wave?
It was proton decay. The protons in Trump's brain gave up the will to live.

outrun

October 9th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Collector

October 10th, 2017, 5:36 am

outrun wrote:

interesting!!  but seems like big rooms for measuring errors (and let us not forget interpretation errors):
"Tanimura’s group found they were almost three times denser than the mean for normal matter in the universe, and de Graaf’s group found they were six times denser – confirmation that the gas in these areas is dense enough to form filaments."

"no sweet instrument that we’ve invented yet that can directly observe this gas,” says Richard Ellis at University College London. “It’s been purely speculation until now.”"

"Both teams took advantage of a phenomenon called the Sunyaev-Zel’dovich effect that occurs when light left over from the big bang passes through hot gas. "

outrun

October 11th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Collector wrote:

That would be cool! 
I knew that China had experiments running in space for a year now, I was wondering about the outcome!

katastrofa

October 11th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Traden4Alpha

October 12th, 2017, 2:36 am

I'd thought about setting up our small telescope to look for it. A few quickie calculations suggested that my camera with a 200 mm f/2.8 lens should be able register the asteroid as a visible streak at closest approach.

But then I learned that the closest approach was passing over Australia which is not where I am. :-(

katastrofa

October 13th, 2017, 1:39 am

I cannot remember many things from my childhood as exciting as observing the night sky with my own primitive telescope.
Attachments
IMG_1125.JPG

Traden4Alpha

October 13th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Yes, telescopes are fun.

Do you have plans to see comet C/2017 O1 ASAS-SN (https://www.space.com/38382-comet-asas- ... ulars.html)?

ppauper

October 13th, 2017, 1:38 pm

they need  to come up with catchier names for these comets if they want people to watch them

Cuchulainn

October 13th, 2017, 3:24 pm

ppauper wrote:
they need  to come up with catchier names for these comets if they want people to watch them

What about the Bill Haley Comet(s)?
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...