SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Re: News from Outer Space

March 31st, 2018, 5:11 pm

Tiangong-1 is currently expected to drop to earth April 1, 20:30 UTC ± 8 hours.

It's currently dropping about 10 km per day which BOTEC suggests that it's experiencing about 10 kW of friction and climbing
Seems like a perfect exercise for missile defense, just to see if they can hit it.
LOL! But....!!!!

Right now we've one easily-tracked, de-orbiting hunk of junk that's virtually guaranteed not to harm anyone.

Blowing it up will convert it into thousands of re-orbited, impossible-to-track bullets that intersect other satellites in LEO.

Alan

March 31st, 2018, 5:21 pm

Tiangong-1 is currently expected to drop to earth April 1, 20:30 UTC ± 8 hours.

It's currently dropping about 10 km per day which BOTEC suggests that it's experiencing about 10 kW of friction and climbing
Seems like a perfect exercise for missile defense, just to see if they can hit it.
LOL!  But....!!!!

Right now we've one easily-tracked, de-orbiting hunk of junk that's virtually guaranteed not to harm anyone.  

Blowing it up will convert it into thousands of re-orbited, impossible-to-track bullets that intersect other satellites in LEO.
Have you been watching the series "Salvation"? It's precisely the dilemma they had there with an incoming killer asteroid.

Anyway, they don't have to blow it up. Just mount some cameras to demonstrate that they can hit it or at least show they can come close enough to destroy if they wanted to. Should I call General Greaves?   :D

Traden4Alpha

March 31st, 2018, 5:48 pm

LOL!  But....!!!!

Have you been watching the series "Salvation"? It's precisely the dilemma they had there with an incoming killer asteroid.
No but I just watched "Gravity" again on a long-flight from the land of milk and hnoey.

Asteroids are easy to deflect if you detect them in time (which is why funding if detection & tracking programs are so essential). With 5 years warning, a thrust sufficient to produce just 1 millionth of a G would move the asteroid out of the way. Of course, a 6 month lead requires 100X more thrust. Explosions make for good drama for a show but they couple so poorly (and unreliably) with large bodies that they are really bad option. But if time is short, then an explosion is better than nothing.

Traden4Alpha

March 31st, 2018, 5:52 pm

P.S. http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=37820#LIST can be used to predict visible passes of Tiangong-1 from your location. In theory, I should be able to get a great view of it April 1 just before dawn as a magnitude -0.1 object. Alas the current weather forecast is for overcast skies. :(

Traden4Alpha

March 31st, 2018, 11:13 pm

Now the expected reentry time is 02:00 UTC April 2nd (±7 hours).

South America, Africa, southern Europe, Asia, and Australia sit under these orbits. Only if reentry is toward the very latest end of range might Florida see something.

ppauper

April 2nd, 2018, 5:43 am

they're claiming it went down in the south pacific, NW of Tahiti

ppauper

April 3rd, 2018, 7:08 am

Collector

April 3rd, 2018, 11:05 am

dont worry just the new Tesla car, always space tested first!

Traden4Alpha

April 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm

1) A "lie detector" test even if it were accurate (doubtful!) can only test belief, not truth.
2) "unidentified" != "alien"

Traden4Alpha

April 19th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Collector

April 20th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Chinese scientist revealed the mystery of an engine violating the laws of physic

"Wu notes that, due to its axial symmetry, the horizontal and vertical contributions of previously unaccounted forces compensate each other on average, however, an imbalance is possible for short periods of time, on the order of ten nanoseconds."

Comments on theoretical foundation of “EM Drive”

katastrofa

April 24th, 2018, 2:01 am

Uranus smells like rotten eggs

Reminds me of Professor Farnsworth's Smelloscope:

Traden4Alpha

April 24th, 2018, 2:48 am

Uranus smells like rotten eggs

Reminds me of Professor Farnsworth's Smelloscope:
Sulfur in an outer planet... interesting. I wonder what this implies about the sorting of atoms across the solar system. There's clearly a sweeping of the lightest elements out of the inner solar system. But maybe the chemistry guarantees that H2S ends up further out and then preferentially ends up in the observable upper atmosphere of distant gas giants.

(P.S. My wife and I enjoy sulfurous smells from hot springs, volcanic vents, etc.)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On