SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar
Topic Author

Re: Synthetic Biology and Evolution

January 25th, 2018, 3:16 pm

So, now monkeys have been cloned successfully (and no reason scientifically why not - if it works for mice, sheep, dogs...)

Of course, as the article points out - many failed attempts along the way and PETA, for example, is highly opposed to it, with reason.

Scientists Successfully Clone Monkeys; Are Humans up Next? - U.S. News and World Report January 25

It's a very good question. Not much doubt that we can, but should we?

And if so, would you then be your own best friend?  

Or maybe in some cases, worst enemy. :D

Could get complicated very quickly!
Last edited by trackstar on January 25th, 2018, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 25th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Maybe the deeper issue with cloning is should "we" get a vote?

Are reproductive choices something best left to the individual or should they be controlled by society?

trackstar
Topic Author

January 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm

One of the issues at the moment (besides the ethics and also the traumas of many failed attempts) is that they have not managed to clone primate babies from adults.

So if the process that was successful for monkeys was the only way it could work for humans, then it is not as though we could decide later in life to clone ourselves.  

From the article: "The process is still very inefficient — it took 127 eggs to get the two babies — and so far it has succeeded only by starting with a monkey fetus. The scientists failed to produce healthy babies from an adult monkey, though they are still trying and are awaiting the outcome of some pregnancies. Dolly caused a sensation because she was the first mammal cloned from an adult."

One may feel uneasy, to say the least, reading that and some people may really freak out.

Another problem is that the new ability is viewed in the context of medical research - these genetically identical monkeys would be useful as research animals in labs.

It is not about preserving endangered species, for example.

Traden4Alpha

January 25th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Obviously there are huge issues of informed consent among all the participants on any cloning activity. Whether there are any "traumas" associated with all the attempts is also best judged by the individual participants.

Certainly one can imagine societal management of cloning used for societal purposes such as medical research or preserving endangered species.

But why and how does that translate to society having the right to intervene in an individual's informed choice on this matter?

To borrow a phrase: if you don't want a clone(or an abortion), then don't have one.

trackstar
Topic Author

January 25th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Would be a pretty extreme society that might try to force people into cloning.

You never know though.  Maybe Margaret Atwood has written a novel about it.

But I see, you are saying if it is possible, then why should it be denied to individuals - let them make the choice.

I leave the debate to others.

In the future, I'd love to have tea with my clone. Maybe we'd even be housemates! :)

katastrofa

October 19th, 2018, 2:44 am

CRISPR–Cas encoding of a digital movie into the genomes of a population of living bacteria: From what I can understand, they take a virus to "vaccinate" the bacteria (as it happens naturally: a bacterium engulfs the genetic material of an invading virus to evolve an inheritable immunity to it - meanwhile, the virus works on circumventing the defence mechanism).
That could mean that if we learn to decode information in the genome, we will be able to know the history of life from the start! Or, for those who aren't yet bored of modern technology (unlike our forum admin), DNA can be used as a hyper-efficient data storage. Which isn't toxic. Maybe a bit virulent if something goes wrong.

Alan

October 19th, 2018, 5:20 pm

CRISPR–Cas encoding of a digital movie into the genomes of a population of living bacteria:
So cool! Opens up lots of possibilities. A silly one:

DNA Tattoo artists will now be able to embed your favorite movie into your DNA.
Then, send in a tattooed saliva sample to 23andMe and get back a report:
"You're 47% European, 42% East Asian and Native American, 11% Sub-Saharan African, and one copy of the The Godfather, Part II"  :D

Collector

October 19th, 2018, 10:51 pm

"DNA Tattoo artists will now be able to embed your favorite movie into your DNA."

I am more interested in plant genetics, growing money on trees could soon be real (bio mining). Explains the war on cash!

katastrofa

October 20th, 2018, 6:40 am

Or a bio-graphy of Viral Ynn with Kevin Spacer. Just kidding, the guy is junk DNA.

I'm thinking that I've seen the Alien and Tolkien series so many times that I probably have them printed in my genes.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On