SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: 2016 olympics: Rio

February 24th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Norwegian Man Skates On Thin Ice, Drinks Vodka, Swims Naked, Uses Chainsaw On Frozen Lake (VIDEO)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/ ... 65794.html
Pretty amusing. The only minor correction is that he does not appear to be naked at any point in the video (just as well). Lake ice like that is pretty rare in Norway since you usually end up with some snow when it's cold enough for the water to build an inch of ice.
Maybe he's Finnish?

bearish

February 24th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Norwegian Man Skates On Thin Ice, Drinks Vodka, Swims Naked, Uses Chainsaw On Frozen Lake (VIDEO)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/ ... 65794.html
Pretty amusing. The only minor correction is that he does not appear to be naked at any point in the video (just as well). Lake ice like that is pretty rare in Norway since you usually end up with some snow when it's cold enough for the water to build an inch of ice.
Maybe he's Finnish?
No, he is definitely Norwegian, and the lake in question is about a half hour's drive from where we would camp out in summer when I was merely cubbish.

Cuchulainn

February 25th, 2018, 11:09 am

I heard a story that the best Norwegian skiers are from Oslo  environs who take the effort to go up to the mountains to train. The locals have hills in abundance so they do other things. True?

In judo I see that the sponsored judokas come from the suburbs there days. In my day they came from the inner city and had to do everything themselves, like our former  trainer Wim Ruska who won 2 gold medals at the Munich olympics without any support.

Conor McGregor is a good latter-day example.

bearish

February 25th, 2018, 3:04 pm

I heard a story that the best Norwegian skiers are from Oslo  environs who take the effort to go up to the mountains to train. The locals have hills in abundance so they do other things. True?

In judo I see that the sponsored judokas come from the suburbs there days. In my day they came from the inner city and had to do everything themselves, like our former  trainer Wim Ruska who won 2 gold medals at the Munich olympics without any support.

Conor McGregor is a good latter-day example.
In the old days of (real) amateur skiers there was a tendency for the best Norwegians to come from farming communities, perhaps driven by year round hard work outdoors and an actual need for regularly traveling long distances on foot or skis. In the modern era, say the last 40-50 years, it’s been a lot more about access to resources; money as well as large numbers of dedicated volunteers. Not surprisingly, resources are more abundant around Oslo than elsewhere in the country, but you have seen pockets of excellence evolve pretty much all over the place. Of the current stars Krüger, Sundby, and Holund are from Oslo; Bjørgen and Klæbu are from the Trondheim area; Østberg, Haga, and Johaug are from more rural parts of Østlandet; and Krogh is from way the heck up north where the sun is entirely absent for a couple of months each year. Notably absent are skiers from the south and west coasts, which can be reasonably ascribed to a lack of reliable snow. The Oslo based skiers will generally train locally, aside from some late fall mountain camps, and most of them have at least as easy access to groomed trails as in your average Norwegian town.

Cuchulainn

February 25th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I have lost count of the number of times I have skied in Norway with Junior .. it's safe and no drunk skiers on the pistas, like in Australasia. Once in 2002 we were in Geilo when the Olympics were raging .. it seemed that Norway was winning everything ("even more than USA") until a Swedish cross-country guy won a gold medal.. No one was amused :D

The Telemark style is cool.

bearish

February 25th, 2018, 4:22 pm

I have lost count of the number of times I have skied in Norway with Junior .. it's safe and no drunk skiers on the pistas, like in Australasia. Once in 2002 we were in Geilo when the Olympics were raging .. it seemed that Norway was winning everything ("even more than USA") until a Swedish cross-country guy won a gold medal.. No one was amused :D

The Telemark style is cool.
Ummm - autocorrect from Austria to Australasia? I can't believe that Per Elofsson's beating out Giorgio di Centa for their lone bronze medal (after two Norwegians tied for gold) would have dampened the local spirits very much. Of course, maybe you had to be there.

bearish

February 25th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I think the real dampener of Norwegian spirits in those games was Johann Mühlegg, the German competing for Spain, who won three races aided by extra hemoglobin. 

Cuchulainn

March 14th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Rio Games report claims Conlan fight was fixed

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2018/03 ... was-fixed/

head coach Zaur Antia, fluent in Russian, was informed by one of the Russian coaches that Conlan’s fight had been decided the day before they entered the ring.He also says that other fights were fixed in Brazil. 

ppauper
Topic Author

March 14th, 2018, 2:27 pm

"Following this we tried on numerous occasions to see (then Olympic Council of Ireland President) Pat Hickey to get him to intervene he was never available.
I'm curious as to the timing of this: was Pat Hickey in prison at the time and hence unavailable?

Cuchulainn

March 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I would say Pat was inconveniencied at the time. For some reason?
I still have fond memories of the judo scrap with Pat. Judokas tend to stick together. When I am in a city I just ring a local dojo to attend a judo session and it's a great way to meet the natives.

Mark my words; he'll be back.

ImageImage

Cuchulainn

July 18th, 2018, 8:24 am

How good was he? Well, like pretty much everything with Hickey, that's a matter of some debate. In 1996, he told The Irish Times that he narrowly missed selection for the montreal Olympics in 1976...
That was news to Matt Folen, the national coach that year, who informed Paul Howard in a profile for The Sunday Tribune that Hickey hadn't even made the shortlist that year.

Pat ousted Matt as president of IJA. 

For the record, I beat Pat when I was a yellow belt (or maybe it was white) and he a black belt.

Cuchulainn

November 9th, 2018, 1:31 pm

IABA reveal which way they voted as Olympic fears grow

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2018/11 ... veal-vote/

You will remember boxing 'irregularities' at Rio 2016
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On