SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

CrashedMint
Topic Author

Help a European understand obama/dems.

January 23rd, 2010, 1:31 am

I really don't understand why back in the day when Bush did not have majorities everywhere he still could kinda do whatever he wanted, even when democrats fiercely were against it, but now that Obama has (no: had) exactly these (super)majorities in the house and in the senate he just won't get shit done. This is a COMPLETE MYSTERY to me.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

January 23rd, 2010, 1:32 am

sorry: could somebody pls move that to the offtopic board... thx!

sunra

January 23rd, 2010, 3:27 am

dude, he's just like you euros (eg. a commie) except, thankfully, really really incompetent at implementing his agenda. it's mysterious to me as well, given his flawless campaign execution. my best explanation is the following: he was put in office as a puppet by wealthy guys like Soros thinking they could use him to enact their goals. however, he has no skills other than reading teleprompters and fitting in with trendy academic leftists. now he has to deal with all the other dems in the house and senate who are bumbling idiots but also way more senior and wily than him. they know he's a joke and he can't round them up. Bush's second term was fairly liberal anyway.they've come close to implementing disaster with this health care garbage and they may succeed with the banking takeover... let's hope the mystery continues.

sunra

January 23rd, 2010, 3:35 am

i should note, following sun tzu, that a trapped animal is most dangerous when there is no option of escape

Traden4Alpha

January 23rd, 2010, 1:51 pm

A few explanatory factors:1. Many Democrats aren't Democrats (the same is true of Republicans). People don't vote on party lines as often as you might think.2. Bush hid behind the "war on terrorism". He and the Republicans used the argument that "if you criticize Bush, you're supporting the terrorists."3. The incentives on politicians mean that they gain more by "having a problem to be fixed" than by having fixed a problem A body like Congress makes it easy to deflect any blame for not getting things done. In the US, polls show that people don't like Congress, but do like their Congress person.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on January 22nd, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

January 23rd, 2010, 2:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaA few explanatory factors:3. The incentives on politicians mean that they gain more by "having a problem to be fixed" than by having fixed a problem A body like Congress makes it easy to deflect any blame for not getting things done. In the US, polls show that people don't like Congress, but do like their Congress person.interesting. never thought of that....

farmer

January 23rd, 2010, 3:13 pm

That damn Barrick YUbamma. Didn't nobody vote for that darn ol healthcare thing...

Marsden

January 23rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

See how much money the insurance and pharmaceutical lobbies gave to some of the Democrats to peel them off of the supposed super-majorities.

scholar

January 23rd, 2010, 11:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: sunrai should note, following sun tzu, that a trapped animal is most dangerous when there is no option of escapeBravo sunra, and I guess we are starting to see that trapped animal. The cool is gone, babe.

scholar

January 23rd, 2010, 11:15 pm

QuoteThe incentives on politicians mean that they gain more by "having a problem to be fixed" than by having fixed a problem A body like Congress makes it easy to deflect any blame for not getting things done. In the US, polls show that people don't like Congress, but do like their Congress person.Akin to the difference between "marking to market" vs "marking to bonus"

CrashedMint
Topic Author

February 6th, 2010, 9:17 am

This pretty much sums it up.

ppauper

February 6th, 2010, 2:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MarsdenSee how much money the insurance and pharmaceutical lobbies gave to some of the Democrats to peel them off of the supposed super-majorities.? The 60-to-39 vote split along strict party lines, with 58 Democrats and two Independents voting for the bill, and all Republicans unanimously voting against it.

Polter

February 6th, 2010, 6:39 pm

CrashedMint,To what Traden4Alpha has already said (esp. 1 & 3) one can add it's not as if GWB could in fact "do whatever he wanted."One of the major goals on his agenda (he also run on it during 2004 presidential campaign) was Social Security (similarly to health care being one of important positions of BHO) -- the administration's achievements in this area could be summed up as "spurring the debate on" it (and that's pretty much it):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Sec ... n_proposal

AlanB

February 8th, 2010, 11:43 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMint.....I really don't understand why back in the day when Bush did not have majorities everywhere he still could kinda do whatever he wanted, to me......Because Bush didn't do shit (don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Obama). Bush was too stupid. Cheney did everything, behind the scenes, (more likely than not) illegally.

LTrain

February 8th, 2010, 3:17 pm

IMHO OBama is - and has always been - an agitator and is trying to run the country like the politicians run the Wards in Chicago.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On