SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

farmer
Topic Author

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 2:14 pm

I hear so often from people who have herpes, or people who are afraid I have herpes, that everyone has herpes. But I know it's not true. I am sure I am not the only person who has to dispute this lie over and over, so here is a quote from a recent news story:Quote About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected, according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.About 21 percent of women were infected with genital herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for whites, the CDC said.That sounds to me like only about 8% of white guys like me have herpes. Except that guys who are really like me, 0% have herpes.But I know about 100% of sluts and hookers, and people who go on sex vacations in Asia, have herpes. It ain't me.So go kiss a urinal, scumface.
Last edited by farmer on March 9th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTrain

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 4:35 pm

[herpes]Wow... startling... I will pass it around to everyone I know!!!Tee Heh...

CactusMan

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 8:16 pm

You have posted a strange post. But, it does bring a thought to my mind.There will always be a myriad of statistics and things to be afraid of.Some of it is useful. But, first and foremost, you need to be the captain of your own ship, and not live by what someone else says.
Last edited by CactusMan on March 9th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerdna

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: farmerI hear so often from people who have herpes, or people who are afraid I have herpes, that everyone has herpes. But I know it's not true. I am sure I am not the only person who has to dispute this lie over and over, so here is a quote from a recent news story:Quote About 16 percent of Americans between the ages of 14 and 49 are infected with genital herpes, making it one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.Black women had the highest rate of infection at 48 percent and women were nearly twice likely as men to be infected, according to an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.About 21 percent of women were infected with genital herpes, compared to only 11.5 percent of men, while 39 percent of blacks were infected compared to about 12 percent for whites, the CDC said.That sounds to me like only about 8% of white guys like me have herpes. Except that guys who are really like me, 0% have herpes.But I know about 100% of sluts and hookers, and people who go on sex vacations in Asia, have herpes. It ain't me.So go kiss a urinal, scumface.all of this strikes me as very suspicious data. I don't know how this study was structured, but it seems very odd to me. What is the reason for humongous assymetry between men and women? Big known factor of high STD occurence in blacks is high percentage incarceration in blacks and high percentage of inmates being infected. But that affects men much more than women -- men should have higher occurence. Why women have twice higher rate? My guess is that young women who are likely to be infected are more likely to go tested because if i remember correctly it affects pregnancy and children. Men who are likely to be infected are less likely to get tested, i think. That could explain test results if they just looked at percentages of voluntarily blood tests coming positive. There are other oddities -- i'd be really interested to know how their data was obtained.
Last edited by zerdna on March 9th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Your information seems pretty wild to me too.Women in the sex industry do take some precautions to protect their health. And not every slutty girl has something. Certainly not.
Last edited by CactusMan on March 9th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer
Topic Author

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 9:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaall of this strikes me as very suspicious data.It makes perfect sense to me. And it is consistent with my anecdotal experience.Black people sleep around more, and use rubbers less. Girls are more likely to get it from a guy during sex, than a guy is likely to get it from a girl.I can instantly recall seeing herpes on six people whose names I knew. Of the six, five were girls. I am sure girls take greater steps to conceal it than a guy would, if only because girls are practiced concealers.The one girl who I know the exact time she got it, she got it from a black guy. The one girl who told me where she got it, she got it from another girl, when a guy screwed them one after the other.Black people in the US also have AIDS at a much higher rate than white people. Are you suspicious of AIDS statistics?QuoteAugust 9, 2005A recent report by Health Canada's Center for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control found that heterosexual women are surpassing gay men in newly acquired HIV infections.QuoteIn 2007, the rate of AIDS diagnoses for black adults/adolescents were 10 times the rate for whites and nearly 3 times the rate for Hispanics. The rate of AIDS diagnoses for black women was 22 times the rate for white women. The rate of AIDS diagnoses for black men was almost 8 times the rate for white men

zerdna

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 10:35 pm

I know that black haves 10 times whites rate of AIDS. However AIDS rate for black men is double of that for black women. It is because of the fact i mentioned before -- most contract it in prison, where black men are disproportionally represented. The asymmetry for herpes is the other way -- rates for women and black women are higher than for men. That is the part that is strange to me.

Fermion

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 10:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaI know that black haves 10 times whites rate of AIDS. However AIDS rate for black men is double of that for black women. It is because of the fact i mentioned before -- most contract it in prison, where black men are disproportionally represented. The asymmetry for herpes is the other way -- rates for women and black women are higher than for men. That is the part that is strange to me.Watching you and farmer trying to have a reason- and fact-based argument is rather fun.

Anthis

not everyone has herpes

March 10th, 2010, 11:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionQuoteOriginally posted by: zerdnaI know that black haves 10 times whites rate of AIDS. However AIDS rate for black men is double of that for black women. It is because of the fact i mentioned before -- most contract it in prison, where black men are disproportionally represented. The asymmetry for herpes is the other way -- rates for women and black women are higher than for men. That is the part that is strange to me.Watching you and farmer trying to have a reason- and fact-based argument is rather fun.I cant wait to read farmer's treatise on chlamydia...

trackstar

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 1:14 am

This research was published recently and has produced some hilarious headlines over the past day or so. I like this one in particular.Men Want Sex Until Almost Dead - AJC March 10What the researchers found, of course, is that many men have a strong libido right through their twilight years.But you can also read it as: "Some boys want to die (or nearly so) with their boots on." ***Since you were talking about questionable data, we should also look at questionable articulation of research findings; here is a good quote:"...the study also uncovered a sexual gender gap. For 30-year-old men, they can expect 35 years more of sexual activity and 45 years more of life. ...That means men will spend 78 percent of life after 30 having sex, compared with just 61 percent for women."But that only leaves 22 percent of life for career, meals, yard work, and sleep...
Last edited by trackstar on March 10th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 1:45 am

And here is a nice list for your next discussion:STDs - Wiki You should all devote yourselves to God.

LTrain

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 1:54 am

trackstar wrote>> Sexually Transmitted DiseasesA noteworthy goal... Must it be in this order??

trackstar

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 1:56 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LTraintrackstar wrote>> Sexually Transmitted DiseasesA noteworthy goal... Must it be in this order?? If you can contract one from each category, we will give you a prize.We will need lab reports signed by your physician.

Marsden

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 2:21 am

"What is the reason for humongous assymetry between men and women?"Sort of like how every heterosexual intercourse involves a man and a woman, but only women get pregnant.Seriously, though, to be "infected" with a disease means it has taken up residence in your physiology. Basically everyone carries around herpes and HPV and all sorts of other nasties with them, but if they're mainly only on the skin and your immune system kills the few that get through, no big deal. It's when they cross the barrier between "outside" your body to "inside" in big numbers that they cause trouble.And sadly for women, that happens more easily for them than for men.

LTrain

not everyone has herpes

March 11th, 2010, 2:37 am

>> "What is the reason for humongous assymetry between men and women?"Im not a biologist, but last time I checked men are usually "upstream" of the problem.. so to say..
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On