SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

dunrewpp
Topic Author

Need Help on Islam

March 11th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I got the following e-flyer and I just felt sick in my stomach. I need to counter the selective portrayal and insincere propaganda with some real hard hitting facts about Islam and the ways of its followers. Please go ahead and tell me some decent and valid criticism both in broad strokes as well as in specific terms relating to the topics that will be discussed in the Maple Branch Library. Thanks!Kids driving you crazy at home? Come down to our local library for a celebration of Muslim culture! Next Saturday at the Maple Branch Library, we will be learning about the lunar calender, the Muslim prophet's birthday, and the holy month of Ramadan. Come make some fun crafts, and taste the delicious way Muslims break the fast. Learn more about this fascinating culture and religion celebrated by one billion people! Social Hour and Story time, Sat. March 20, 4:30-5:30, Maple Branch Library, 2371 W. Edmonton Street.

Fermion

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 5:15 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: dunrewppI got the following e-flyer and I just felt sick in my stomach. I need to counter the selective portrayal and insincere propaganda with some real hard hitting facts about Islam and the ways of its followers. Please go ahead and tell me some decent and valid criticism both in broad strokes as well as in specific terms relating to the topics that will be discussed in the Maple Branch Library. Thanks!Kids driving you crazy at home? Come down to our local library for a celebration of Muslim culture! Next Saturday at the Maple Branch Library, we will be learning about the lunar calender, the Muslim prophet's birthday, and the holy month of Ramadan. Come make some fun crafts, and taste the delicious way Muslims break the fast. Learn more about this fascinating culture and religion celebrated by one billion people! Social Hour and Story time, Sat. March 20, 4:30-5:30, Maple Branch Library, 2371 W. Edmonton Street.By all means slam them. But not in a way that picks on Muslims. They are no worse than any other religion -- they just get worse publicity in the west. "Faith" = dogma. Dissension = apostasy. Morality = "Our way or the highway". "Holy war" = empire building. Slam Judaism and Christianity (and any others you want to throw in the mix) in the same breath.

dunrewpp
Topic Author

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 5:47 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionBy all means slam them. But not in a way that picks on Muslims. They are no worse than any other religion -- they just get worse publicity in the west. "Faith" = dogma. Dissension = apostasy. Morality = "Our way or the highway". "Holy war" = empire building. Slam Judaism and Christianity (and any others you want to throw in the mix) in the same breath.I share with you the same attitude toward all religions, major or minor. My concern is to be fair, accurate and informative when I criticize Islam. What can I say - without sounding off bigoted or prejudiced - in the gathering on the upcoming Saturday so that kids and parents will listen and understand the ugly thing that is Islam?

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 9:35 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionQuoteOriginally posted by: dunrewppI got the following e-flyer and I just felt sick in my stomach. I need to counter the selective portrayal and insincere propaganda with some real hard hitting facts about Islam and the ways of its followers. Please go ahead and tell me some decent and valid criticism both in broad strokes as well as in specific terms relating to the topics that will be discussed in the Maple Branch Library. Thanks!Kids driving you crazy at home? Come down to our local library for a celebration of Muslim culture! Next Saturday at the Maple Branch Library, we will be learning about the lunar calender, the Muslim prophet's birthday, and the holy month of Ramadan. Come make some fun crafts, and taste the delicious way Muslims break the fast. Learn more about this fascinating culture and religion celebrated by one billion people! Social Hour and Story time, Sat. March 20, 4:30-5:30, Maple Branch Library, 2371 W. Edmonton Street.By all means slam them. But not in a way that picks on Muslims. QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionThey are no worse than any other religion -- they just get worse publicity in the west. "Faith" = dogma. Dissension = apostasy.once again, Fermion asserts that "every so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent".No Fermion, Islam is worse than other religions.Can you imagine a library is say Saudi inviting you to come down and celebrate Judaism or Christianity ? They search your luggage for bibles at customs, and even ban Valentine's Day because Valentine was a Christian saint !You mention "apostasy". How many religions other than islam try to kill you if you leave ?"Whoever changes religion – kill him'QuoteSura 40 says that those who reject the scriptures will have iron collars and chains placed around their necks, be dragged into scalding water and burnt in the fire.Presumably the scalding water tenderizes you before the fire.The Islamists seem to be fond of killing folks twice: apostasy is punished by boiling and then burning, while sexual deviance is punished by being thrown off the tallest building then stoningThe golden rule of Islam seems to be "If you see an infidel, kill them"

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 9:44 am

and then there's the whole Aisha thingMohammed married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9 (and he was 56).This is what led one pastor to label Mohammed a "demon-possessed pedophile" (which in turn led to calls from islamists for the pastor to be killed).Perhaps if there are any young girls in the audience, you could ask the 6 year olds if they'd like to be married to a 53 year old man (who has a bunch of other wives) and ask the prepubescent 9 year olds how they'd feel about having sex with a 56 year old man.And maybe you could ask the kids if it's ok to kill folks who disagree with you (like salman rushdie or danish cartoonists).

dunrewpp
Topic Author

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 10:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperand then there's the whole Aisha thingMohammed married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9 (and he was 56).This is what led one pastor to label Mohammed a "demon-possessed pedophile" (which in turn led to calls from islamists for the pastor to be killed).Perhaps if there are any young girls in the audience, you could ask the 6 year olds if they'd like to be married to a 53 year old man (who has a bunch of other wives) and ask the prepubescent 9 year olds how they'd feel about having sex with a 56 year old man.And maybe you could ask the kids if it's ok to kill folks who disagree with you (like salman rushdie or danish cartoonists).I thought that maybe quoting an authority no less than Antony Flew (regardless of what you think of his atheistic softening of late) might shed some light:"Well, one thing I’ll say in this comparison is that, for goodness sake, Jesus is an enormously attractive charismatic figure, which the Prophet of Islam most emphatically is not."You may also want to see THE TERRORS OF ISLAM.

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 1:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dunrewppYou may also want to see THE TERRORS OF ISLAM.indeed, it sounds like the kids are going to have a fun time !

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 1:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: dunrewpp we will be learning about the lunar calenderfor those who don't know, allah was originally the moon god of mecca

Owais

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 2:26 pm

The Holy Quran Will Help you on Islam...

Owais

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 2:29 pm

There are Thousands of books which has been written againts Muslims .Islam..if you Wanna See What is Islam and Who are Muslims you Should Only See The Book that is "The Holy Quran"

Owais

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 2:46 pm

SURAH 96: AL `ALAQ or IQRA' (Read!). In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful1 Proclaim! In the name of your Lord, who created;2 Created man, out of a clot of congealed blood:3 Proclaim! And your Lord is most bountiful,4 He who taught you to write,5 Taught man that which he knew not.6 No, but man transgresses all bounds,7 In that he looks upon himself as self-sufficient.8 Truly, to your Lord is the return.9 Do you see one who forbids10 A votary when he prays?11 Do you see if he is guided?12 Or enjoins righteousness?13 Do you see if he denies and turns away?14 Knows he not that Allah sees?15 Let him beware! If he desist not, we will drag him by the forelock,16 A lying, sinful forelock!17 Then, let him call to his council:18 We will call on the angels of punishment!19 No, heed him not, but bow down in adoration, and bring yourself closer!

Owais

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 2:48 pm

the below one are verses of Holy QuranRead Whole Quran .. you Will Understand IslamGod Bless

Fermion

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 4:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: FermionThey are no worse than any other religion -- they just get worse publicity in the west. "Faith" = dogma. Dissension = apostasy.once again, Fermion asserts that "every so-called lifestyle alternative is morally equivalent".No, just the religious nature of religion.QuoteNo Fermion, Islam is worse than other religions.Can you imagine a library is say Saudi inviting you to come down and celebrate Judaism or Christianity ? They search your luggage for bibles at customs, and even ban Valentine's Day because Valentine was a Christian saint !You mention "apostasy". How many religions other than islam try to kill you if you leave ?Selectivity and mis-representation will get you nowhere. When it comes to killing dissenters, Muslims have nothing on Christians and Judaists. Neither does their "holy" book.

Fermion

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 4:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperand then there's the whole Aisha thingMohammed married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9 (and he was 56).This is what led one pastor to label Mohammed a "demon-possessed pedophile" (which in turn led to calls from islamists for the pastor to be killed).Perhaps if there are any young girls in the audience, you could ask the 6 year olds if they'd like to be married to a 53 year old man (who has a bunch of other wives) and ask the prepubescent 9 year olds how they'd feel about having sex with a 56 year old man.More selectivity. Do you want me to respond with all the atrocities of Christians and Judaists? And try asking young Mormon polygamy-raised girls the same questions. They'll probably answer "yes" because that is what they have been told is their holy destiny.

dunrewpp
Topic Author

Need Help on Islam

March 12th, 2010, 10:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OwaisThe Holy Quran Will Help you on Islam...Owais - you want us (or me) to read the Holy Quran. Why? Why should I spend my precious time reading something you suggest? What if I refused to do so? What if I chose to remain closed-minded against Quran? Of course, that would not help either of us. Would it? I can assure you I have an open mind and I will read the Quran with a clear intent to understand it as it is.Now, you are a muslim and people can tell a lot about a religion by the character of its adherents, like you. So, if you show closed-mindedness (like the vast majority of muslims), then I can tell a lot about you as an adherent of Islam and what it has produced in you. So, the question is: ARE YOU OPEN-MINDED or CLOSED-MINDED? If you are open-minded, then would you please read THE TERRORS OF ISLAM with an open mind and with the intent to understand it as it is? If you don't, then what kind of representation of Islam do you make of yourself? An ugly one! So, prove to us that you are not ugly by reading the article by Antony Flew. Good luck!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On