SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 12:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI notice that neither of you have any sympathy for the victimThe pronoun neither is the subject of the sentence. Neither is singular and requires a singular verb.ergo: 'has'. // Like 'none were injured'.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 22nd, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI notice that neither of you have any sympathy for the victimYou can't know that. Just because someone doesn't publicly express their sympathy doesn't mean they don't have sympathy.

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 2:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI notice that neither of you have any sympathy for the victimYou can't know that. Just because someone doesn't publicly express their sympathy doesn't mean they don't have sympathy.let's find out..Cuch, do you have any sympathy for the victim ? DaveAngel, do you have any sympathy for the victim ?

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 2:42 pm

in the locked thread, professa' wilmott used the term empathy rather than sympathy>>I am not seeing much empathy for the poor man who was chopped up in broad daylight.>>We are locking this thread because it disgusts me.>>Please open two more if you like, one to discuss the events, another to abuse each other.>>Thank you.so let's find that out as well..Cuch, do you have any empathy for the victim ?DaveAngel, do you have any empathy for the victim ?

Traden4Alpha

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 2:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI notice that neither of you have any sympathy for the victimYou can't know that. Just because someone doesn't publicly express their sympathy doesn't mean they don't have sympathy.let's find out..Cuch, do you have any sympathy for the victim ? DaveAngel, do you have any sympathy for the victim ?How much are you betting that they don't? Is your money where your mouth is?

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 2:51 pm

I'm not betting anything, I'm just curious as to the answer

Cuchulainn

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 2:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperand RIP the deceased: a mother and father have lost their son, wife or girlfriend has lost her beau, siblings have lost their brother, and perhaps children have lost their father.I know nothing of the man who died (I'm not sure if he has been named) other than that he was in the UK military.There is no good way to die and this seems to have been a particularly horrid way to die.This poor man was targeted simply because he had enlisted in his countries armed forces and the perpetrators picked a random member of the UK military to die,viewing this murder as a tit-for-tat attack. I've heard reports that there have been at least 2 previous plots (thankfully foiled by the UK authorities) to kill serving military personnel on recent yearsyou mean country's not countries.You forgot the kommaQuotecountry's, not countriesarrgghhhhhhhYeah, those damned kommas.

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 3:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI'm not betting anything, I'm just curious as to the answerstill waiting

daveangel

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 3:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperin the locked thread, professa' wilmott used the term empathy rather than sympathy>>I am not seeing much empathy for the poor man who was chopped up in broad daylight.>>We are locking this thread because it disgusts me.>>Please open two more if you like, one to discuss the events, another to abuse each other.>>Thank you.so let's find that out as well..Cuch, do you have any empathy for the victim ?DaveAngel, do you have any empathy for the victim ?Apologies for keeping you waiting. If you must know, I have tremendous sympathy for the poor soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich on Wednesday 22 May 2013. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are with his family, friends and colleagues.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 3:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperin the locked thread, professa' wilmott used the term empathy rather than sympathy>>I am not seeing much empathy for the poor man who was chopped up in broad daylight.>>We are locking this thread because it disgusts me.>>Please open two more if you like, one to discuss the events, another to abuse each other.>>Thank you.so let's find that out as well..Cuch, do you have any empathy for the victim ?DaveAngel, do you have any empathy for the victim ?Apologies for keeping you waiting. If you must know, I have tremendous sympathy for the poor soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich on Wednesday 22 May 2013. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are with his family, friends and colleagues.I'm pleased to hear that, and I echo your sentimentsCuch, what about you ?

daveangel

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 3:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperin the locked thread, professa' wilmott used the term empathy rather than sympathy>>I am not seeing much empathy for the poor man who was chopped up in broad daylight.>>We are locking this thread because it disgusts me.>>Please open two more if you like, one to discuss the events, another to abuse each other.>>Thank you.so let's find that out as well..Cuch, do you have any empathy for the victim ?DaveAngel, do you have any empathy for the victim ?Apologies for keeping you waiting. If you must know, I have tremendous sympathy for the poor soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich on Wednesday 22 May 2013. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are with his family, friends and colleagues.I'm pleased to hear that, and I echo your sentimentsCuch, what about you ?Are you the empathy vigilante ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 4:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperin the locked thread, professa' wilmott used the term empathy rather than sympathy>>I am not seeing much empathy for the poor man who was chopped up in broad daylight.>>We are locking this thread because it disgusts me.>>Please open two more if you like, one to discuss the events, another to abuse each other.>>Thank you.so let's find that out as well..Cuch, do you have any empathy for the victim ?DaveAngel, do you have any empathy for the victim ?Apologies for keeping you waiting. If you must know, I have tremendous sympathy for the poor soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich on Wednesday 22 May 2013. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are with his family, friends and colleagues.I'm pleased to hear that, and I echo your sentimentsCuch, what about you ?Are you the empathy vigilante ?I'm the sympathy vigilante, Professa' Wilmott would be the empathy vigilante.And DaveAngel, I apologize for suggesting you might lack sympathy for the murdered soldier

Gamal

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 4:27 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelIf you must know, I have tremendous sympathy for the poor soldier who was brutally murdered in Woolwich on Wednesday 22 May 2013. My thoughts, for what they are worth, are with his family, friends and colleagues.And what about empathy/sympathy (English is difficult) to the quite numerous members of my family murdered and kidnapped (without a trace) by muslims? To be honest - it happened before Wilmott forum, even before internet. But you know - they are still dead.

ppauper

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 5:08 pm

I can't speak for Dave or Cuch, but I for one have both sympathy and empathy for Gamal's murdered and kidnapped family members

Gamal

Need Help on Islam

May 23rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

I was sure you would, ppauper.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On