Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

rmax
Topic Author

Great Film Quotes

March 31st, 2010, 3:38 pm

Insipred by the 1st line of books, I offer the following:Funny how?They've cut the power.If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach! I'm hungry. Let's get a taco. I wish you were dead! No I don't, that's silly. I am your father.Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.There can be only one.You sure you're working as hard as I am, 'cause I'm sweating spinal fluid here! Hello?... Uh... Hello D- uh hello Dmitri? Listen uh uh I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little?... Oh-ho, that's much better... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb... The *Bomb*, Dmitri... The *hydrogen* bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... They will *not* reach their targets for at least another hour... I am... I am positive, Dmitri... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your air staff a complete run-down on the targets, the flight plans, and the defensive systems of the planes... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to recall the planes, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy them, Dmitri... I know they're our boys... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... *Who* should we call, Dmitri? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there... The People's Central Air Defense Headquarters... Where is that, Dmitri?... In Omsk... Right... Yes... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Dmitri?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Omsk information... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Dmitri... I'm very sorry... *All right*, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as you are, Dmitri! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right. There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence. That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal. Can you hold it a bit closer? That's Dr. Hunter, isn't it?

Fermion

Great Film Quotes

March 31st, 2010, 3:59 pm

Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with, get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a shit. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the fuckin' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure fuck it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.-- Good Will Hunting

Traden4Alpha

Great Film Quotes

March 31st, 2010, 7:48 pm

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women...women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

trackstar

Great Film Quotes

March 31st, 2010, 7:52 pm

A MAN'S VOICE I'm not a poet. I've never moved anyone with my words. (beat)Maybe that's why they chose me

rmax
Topic Author

Great Film Quotes

April 1st, 2010, 6:35 am

I like cross fertilisationNo point mentioning these bats. I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

rmax
Topic Author

Great Film Quotes

April 1st, 2010, 3:51 pm

You see, in my trade, this is called - what you did - you cracked out of turn. Huh? You see? You crumbed the play. That watch costs more than you car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave. Don't you want to hear my last words?I just did.

Cuchulainn

Great Film Quotes

April 1st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Fabienne: Where's my Honda? Butch: Sorry, baby, but I had to crash that Honda.

Alan

Great Film Quotes

April 1st, 2010, 6:33 pm

I have done that... killed womenand children... I have killed mosteverything that walks or crawlsan' now I have come to kill you,Little Bill, for what you done to Ned.There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, "Klaatu barada nikto", please repeat that.
Last edited by Alan on March 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Great Film Quotes

April 1st, 2010, 7:30 pm

"You know what they call a - a - a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?"- "They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?"- "No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f--k a Quarter Pounder is."- "Then what do they call it?"- "They call it a 'Royale' with cheese."- "A 'Royale' with cheese!...What do they call a Big Mac?"- "A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it 'Le Big Mac.'"- "'Le Big Mac!' What do they call a 'Whopper'?"- "I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King." ..Don't you just love it when you come back from the bathroom and find your food waiting for you? We're lucky we got anything at all. I don't think Buddy Holly's much of a waiter.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 31st, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

Great Film Quotes

April 2nd, 2010, 6:01 pm

"Morbius was too close to the problem. The Krell had completed their project. That big machine. No instrumentalities. True creation. " "Doc, let's have it." "But the Krell forgot one thing"."Yes, what?" "Monsters, John. Monsters from the Id."

Cuchulainn

Great Film Quotes

April 2nd, 2010, 6:18 pm

"Hearts and kidneys are tinker toys! I am talking about the central nervous system!"

Alan

Great Film Quotes

April 3rd, 2010, 10:03 pm

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain. Time to die...Deckard (voice-over): I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe inthose last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Notjust his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the sameanswers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going?How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.
Last edited by Alan on April 3rd, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

Great Film Quotes

April 4th, 2010, 7:22 am

I feel you will have to deal with this matter in the harshest possible way, Mr. Torrance. There's nothing I look forward to with greater pleasure, Mr. Grady.

Wilfrid

Great Film Quotes

April 4th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Weren't you a blonde when I came in? Could be. I tend to notice little things like that - whether a girl is a blonde or a brunette. Which do you prefer? Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match!!!
I learned two things at drama school. First, that I couldn't act; second, that it didn't matter.