SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Gamal

Re: Nouvelles de France

April 16th, 2019, 11:23 am

Burning churches is never good although I do care much more about little Coptic churches. Burnt by brothers muslims without any promotion from tv.

Cuchulainn

April 16th, 2019, 11:58 am

A nice view of NotreImage Dame could be had from the 1st-floor library of Shakespeare and Company.

Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tw

April 16th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Who owns cathedrals? Is it the country in which they are or the church they represent? 

ISTR there was some debate about the Catholic church in the US as having local assets (and local, legal, liabilities)
but that wasn't necessarily true elsewhere.

katastrofa

April 16th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Burning churches is never good although I do care much more about little Coptic churches. Burnt by brothers muslims without any promotion from tv.
Our brothers Muslims care for arts and culture just as much as we do, and some even more: Khaled al-Asaad.

Gamal

April 17th, 2019, 7:11 am

Who owns cathedrals? Is it the country in which they are or the church they represent? 
It depends where, in France it's the state. You know, they had a revolution.

Cuchulainn

April 17th, 2019, 12:16 pm

ISTR there was some debate about the Catholic church in the US as having local assets (and local, legal, liabilities)
And who owns the ground? e.g. in NYC.

tw

April 17th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Kinda weird that the secular French state picks up the tab (in general) for providing places of worship, when the Catholic church 
has  huge revenue and net worth.

Money would seem to count for a lot in church politics (twas ever thus I am sure). The immense legal liabilities to the sex abuse scandals
would seem to favour a disparate financial structure but that must encourage theological debates to have a bias towards those dioceses with the largest
market cap!  Does that lead to a pope/antipope split based around who as the most cash in the bank and with the least liability to abuse?
Party like it is 1378!

And who owns the ground? e.g. in NYC.

Cuchulainn

April 17th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Yeah, I thought France was the exemple supreme of separation of church and state. 

bearish

April 18th, 2019, 12:09 am

Freedom from religion is exceedingly hard to come by! And while I'm as sad as the next guy for the loss of a genuine world heritage treasure, it's not entirely clear to me that the pope can't just write the check for however many billions of Euros it will cost to do a reasonable restoration. Unless he was planning to use those same moneys to compensate victims of his priests...

ISayMoo

April 18th, 2019, 12:46 pm

US protects the church from the state, but not the other way round.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On