Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

frenchX

I wish I hadn't said that

January 20th, 2012, 1:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXI told to my boss 3 years ago : "I think there will be a revolution in finance after the 2008 crisis, people will be more responsible, there would be a better risk management, traders would lose this golden dangerous money culture and more important they will gain a higher ethic on the governance of the world".By having a look nowadays: NOTHING changed ... How naive I was at this time LOL !Did you really say that? Yes I was young. My boss (75 years old, head of research) laughed at me when I said that. Today I'm more cynical and wiser I would say. And when you hear some people like the CEOs of the biggest US bank then I'm sure that nothing would change from their will. But regulation and political power come into play.

Traden4Alpha

January 20th, 2012, 2:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Few emerge unscratched from the fray.Hayes is a better man than me.--scathed T4A EDIT: I will say that writing some of those 76% help me think through some things so those posts aren't a total loss.
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on January 19th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermion

January 20th, 2012, 4:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Only 76%? As a numbers guy, are you sure it wasn't 77%?BTW you are advised not to reply to this post. (Although a submission is acceptable.)

Fermion

January 20th, 2012, 4:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.If getting the last word was your objective, it's no wonder you you ended up walking away. I've always preferred to focus on what the words mean myself.

Fermion

January 20th, 2012, 6:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Few emerge unscratched from the fray.Yeah, those who see it as a battle usually end up defeated. When people go into fight mode they tend to stop thinking.QuoteEDIT: I will say that writing some of those 76% help me think through some things so those posts aren't a total loss.Glad to have been of assistance. Perhaps you gave up on those other 24% too soon.
Last edited by Fermion on January 19th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

January 20th, 2012, 6:59 pm

To be honest, all attempts to deflect Fermion have been unsuccessful. May read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Otherwise it's just Bronson V Mifune...
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 19th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope; They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Fermion

January 20th, 2012, 7:49 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXI told to my boss 3 years ago : "I think there will be a revolution in finance after the 2008 crisis, people will be more responsible, there would be a better risk management, traders would lose this golden dangerous money culture and more important they will gain a higher ethic on the governance of the world".By having a look nowadays: NOTHING changed ... How naive I was at this time LOL !Did you really say that? Yes I was young. My boss (75 years old, head of research) laughed at me when I said that. Today I'm more cynical and wiser I would say. And when you hear some people like the CEOs of the biggest US bank then I'm sure that nothing would change from their will. But regulation and political power come into play.I once suggested that the USA might end slavery. I'm still hoping, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 21st, 2012, 3:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Another technique might be to ambush Fermion by hiding behind a frankincense tree and jumping out at him with a big Shtick, figuratively speaking.
edit: hth
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 20th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope; They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Traden4Alpha

January 21st, 2012, 4:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Another technique might be to ambush Fermion by hiding behind a frankincense tree and jumping out at him with a big Shtick, figuratively speaking.
edit: hthIndeed! Perhaps we can find him lurking at a "U.S. Out of the America" or "Occupy Utopia" protest.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 22nd, 2012, 9:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Another technique might be to ambush Fermion by hiding behind a frankincense tree and jumping out at him with a big Shtick, figuratively speaking.
edit: hthIndeed! Perhaps we can find him lurking at a "U.S. Out of the America" or "Occupy Utopia" protest.Do you wish you hadn't said that?

farmer

January 22nd, 2012, 10:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Cuchulainnall attempts to deflect Fermion have been unsuccessful.Maybe this will work for him:QuoteFive unemployed Moroccan men set themselves on fire in the capital Rabat as part of widespread demonstrations in the country over the lack of jobs, especially for university graduates, a rights activist said Thursday.

Traden4Alpha

January 22nd, 2012, 12:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: hayesQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha76% of my replies to Fermion. Interesting point. I have never regretted walking away and giving him the last word.Another technique might be to ambush Fermion by hiding behind a frankincense tree and jumping out at him with a big Shtick, figuratively speaking.
edit: hthIndeed! Perhaps we can find him lurking at a "U.S. Out of the America" or "Occupy Utopia" protest.Do you wish you hadn't said that? I don't regret it yet but should I? Only time will tell.***It makes me wonder if Regret(t) is polynomial in t and, if so, what order polynomial it is. Some things one regrets immediately and forever (0th order polynomial). Some things one might increasingly regret as the impact of the statement spreads (1st order). Some things one might think are great initially, then regret for a while, and then come to look fondly back at the event with nostalgia (2nd order).Or perhaps Regret(t) is an exponential???

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 22nd, 2012, 2:25 pm

QuoteIt makes me wonder if Regret(t) is polynomial in t and, if so, what order polynomial it is. Some things one regrets immediately and forever (0th order polynomial). Some things one might increasingly regret as the impact of the statement spreads (1st order). Some things one might think are great initially, then regret for a while, and then come to look fondly back at the event with nostalgia (2nd order).Nostalgia is regret(t) for large t.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan

August 8th, 2015, 9:18 pm

The Donald TrumpQuote...
°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: I wish I hadn't said that

December 4th, 2022, 8:14 pm

“Follow the Science is a meaningless term.”

Anon very famous Classics "Scholar"
Not