Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 10:18 am

A list for your consideration...Top 100 Beers on Planet Earth - Beer AdvocateTop ten sampling:Top Beers on Planet Earth Score / WR Reviews 1 Trappist Westvleteren 12Quadrupel (Quad) / 10.20% ABVBrouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) A+ / 4.63 902 2 Pliny The YoungerAmerican Double / Imperial IPA / 11.00% ABVRussian River Brewing Company A+ / 4.63 491 3 Vanilla Bean Aged Dark LordRussian Imperial Stout / 13.00% ABVThree Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub A+ / 4.57 109 4 The AbyssAmerican Double / Imperial Stout / 11.00% ABVDeschutes Brewery A+ / 4.56 834 5 Canadian Breakfast StoutAmerican Double / Imperial Stout / 9.40% ABVFounders Brewing Company A+ / 4.56 210 6 Pliny The ElderAmerican Double / Imperial IPA / 8.00% ABVRussian River Brewing Company A+ / 4.54 1508 7 Portsmouth Kate The Great - Russian Imperial StoutRussian Imperial Stout / 9.50% ABVPortsmouth Brewery A+ / 4.53 299 8 Bourbon County Brand Coffee StoutAmerican Double / Imperial Stout / 13.00% ABVGoose Island A+ / 4.53 196 9 Cantillon Blåbær LambikLambic - Fruit / 5.00% ABVBrasserie Cantillon A+ / 4.52 89 10 Founders Kentucky Breakfast StoutAmerican Double / Imperial Stout / 11.20% ABVFounders Brewing Company A+ / 4.51 1223
Last edited by trackstar on June 29th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 10:21 am

Their methodology:How was this list calculated? This Best of BeerAdvocate (BA) list is generated using statisical formulas that pull data from hundreds of thousands of user reviews; they are not hand-picked. The general formula uses a Bayesian estimate: weighted rank (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C where: R = review average for the beer v = number of reviews for the beer m = minimum reviews required to be listed (currently 10) C = the mean across the list (currently 3.65) The formula normalizes scores, that is pulls (R) to the mean (C) if the number of reviews is not well above (m). So if a beer has only a few reviews above (m), its (WR) is decreased a little if it is above the mean (C), or increased a little if it is below the mean (C) in accordance with the normal distribution rule of statistics. Currently, a beer must have 10 or > reviews to be included in any calculations. And (m) is calculated by averaging the number of reviews for beers that have 10 or > reviews within the list being viewed, while (C) is the mean (average) overall score for all beers that have or > reviews within the list. Example 1: (a beer with a 4.35 review average and 105 reviews) (105 ÷ (105+10)) × 4.35 + (10 ÷ (105+10)) × 3.65 = 4.29 = WR Example 2: (a beer with a 3.1 review average and 11 reviews) (11 ÷ (11+10)) × 3.1 + (10 ÷ (11+10)) × 3.65 = 3.36 = WR

frenchX

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 10:49 am

The best beer is a belgian trappist one. I agree !

Traden4Alpha

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 11:20 am

It's interesting that 8 of the top 10 are from US microbreweries. The US does have a very nice thriving microbrew culture in many cities (my town has one microbrewery per 10,000 residents) so one can get extremely good and varied beer if one looks for it. Unfortunately, much the US is a beer wasteland. The US seems to brew both the best and worst beers in the world.The harder test is to rank countries on their mainstream beers -- the beers found in nearly 100% of pubs and small stores. By that method, the US ranks poorly because there's too many US pubs that only carry Bud/Miller swill. By this measure, Belgium wins because virtually every pub has interesting beers. Germany places favorably because they take good basic beer so seriously. The Czech Republic ranks highly simply because their beer is so drinkable and very inexpensive. England would rank highly (certainly, E(English Beer) >> E(American Beer) ) , but I'd knock England down a few notches due to the soda-pop abomination that is Newcastle Brown.

Cuchulainn

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 2:16 pm

This beer - fuelled with spaetzle - is what you need for cross country skiing. ttp://leshumas.insa-lyon.fr/langues/allemand/page_allemande/culture/allemagne/all_gastronomie/_img_all_gastronomie/sante_rothaus.gif
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 29th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Quote but I'd knock England down a few notches due to the soda-pop abomination that is Newcastle Brown. that is a little unfair. England (or more accurately Cornwall) produces Doom Bar beer. Great name, great beer.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Traden4Alpha

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote but I'd knock England down a few notches due to the soda-pop abomination that is Newcastle Brown. that is a little unfair. England (or more accurately Cornwall) produces Doom Bar beer. Great name, great beer.Please don't misunderstand, England does produce some great beers. I adore Fullers ESB, Old Peculier, and Old Speckled Hen among others. But if we are to judge a country by it's mediocre mode rather than it's positive tail, then Newcastle Brown looms large (sweet and unnaturally coloured) in the sample of most-common English beers.

Cuchulainn

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 6:28 pm

QuoteIt's interesting that 8 of the top 10 are from US microbreweries. The US does have a very nice thriving microbrew culture in many cities (my town has one microbrewery per 10,000 residents) so I was only once in a MB near UMD once. Some things I noticed were the beer was very fresh so it had not achieved a real taste yet, very many young business people with iphones, and no snug where one can talk private business with a cool Dublin Guinness. And no smoking. I must be getting old
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 29th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 6:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteIt's interesting that 8 of the top 10 are from US microbreweries. The US does have a very nice thriving microbrew culture in many cities (my town has one microbrewery per 10,000 residents) so I was only once in a MB near UMD once. Some things I noticed were the beer was very fresh so it had not achieved a real taste yet, very many young business people with iphones, and no snug where one can talk private business with a cool Dublin Guinness. And no smoking. I must be getting old Part of the "taste" issue might have been due to temperature. The US believes in cold beer (because that's the only way one can drink some of the mass-market brews). The result is that US microbreweries and US patrons don't understand that many types of good beer can and should be served at higher temperatures and that those temperatures help bring out all the flavours.You are also right about the difference between US vs. Irish pubs with Irish ones being far more cozy.

daveangel

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Quote You are also right about the difference between US vs. Irish pubs with Irish ones being far more cozy. there are very few good pubs in the US...

trackstar
Topic Author

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 9:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelthere are very few good pubs in the US...This is a good drinking establishment.
Last edited by trackstar on June 30th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 10:09 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote You are also right about the difference between US vs. Irish pubs with Irish ones being far more cozy. there are very few good pubs in the US...Yes, and that's England's fault! You guys kicked out the Puritans, they came here, decided that drinking was a sin, and created a society where only young louts and confirmed alcoholics visit pubs. And because pubs are not part of the normal social culture of American society, US pubs don't need to be nice, cozy, friendly or serve good beer (young louts and confirmed alcoholics willingly drink bad beer).

farmer

The Best Beer on Earth

June 30th, 2010, 10:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alphathe soda-pop abomination that is Newcastle Brown.You like bitter hoppy crap. It is a matter of taste. What is that one, John Bull? Awful tasting, but some like it. There is nothing wrong with Newcastle Brown. I hate hops, I but do not measure the wealth of nations by them.

daveangel

The Best Beer on Earth

July 1st, 2010, 6:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelthere are very few good pubs in the US...This is a good drinking establishment. drinking by oneself is a sure sign of being over-reliant on alcohol

daveangel

The Best Beer on Earth

July 1st, 2010, 6:32 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuote You are also right about the difference between US vs. Irish pubs with Irish ones being far more cozy. there are very few good pubs in the US...Yes, and that's England's fault! You guys kicked out the Puritans, they came here, decided that drinking was a sin, and created a society where only young louts and confirmed alcoholics visit pubs. And because pubs are not part of the normal social culture of American society, US pubs don't need to be nice, cozy, friendly or serve good beer (young louts and confirmed alcoholics willingly drink bad beer). Apologies for this ... But the Irish went over but they don't seem to made matters better. its all clear now - first we sent the Puritans then the Irish ... no wonder.
Last edited by daveangel on June 30th, 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.