SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar
Topic Author

Art as Subversion

July 1st, 2010, 1:45 pm

A spin-off from farmer's terrorists are always leftists. Here's why thread.

Originally posted by: trackstar
This is also quite interesting alongside the so-called Anarchist Terrorist vein:

Non-violent direct action

Greenpeace
Wild Greens
The Living Theater

On The Living Theater:

"The Living Theatre is an American theatre company founded in 1947 and based in New York City. It is the oldest experimental theatre group still existing in the U.S. For most of its history it was led by its founders, actor Judith Malina and painter/poet Julian Beck; after Beck's death in 1985, company member Hanon Reznikov became co-director with Malina.

From its conception, The Living Theatre was dedicated to transforming the organization of power within society from a competitive, hierarchical structure to cooperative and communal expression. The troupe attempts to do so by counteracting complacency in the audience through direct spectacle. They oppose the commercial orientation of Broadway productions and have contributed to the off-Broadway theater movement in New York City, staging poetic dramas.

The primordial text for The Living Theatre is The Theater and Its Double, an anthology of essays written by Antonin Artaud, the French playwright. It was published in France in 1937 and by the Grove Press in the U.S. in 1958. This work deeply influenced Julian Beck, a bisexual painter of abstract expressionist works. The troupe reflects Artaud's influence by staging multimedia plays designed to exhibit his metaphysical Theatre of Cruelty. In these performances, the actors attempt to dissolve the fourth wall between themselves and the spectators."

Generally, I do not want to kill people or harm public or private property, but I am interested in extremely subversive, not to say terrorist, Art.

Scene from The Cenci, a play by Antonin Artaud

"Director, playwright, actor and outcast surrealist Antonin Artaud is perhaps best known for the manifestos set forth in his book Theater and Its Double, which envisioned a new form of radical performance he dubbed "The Theater of Cruelty." Artaud intended to shock audiences out of complacency by replacing the familiar comforts of naturalistic psycho-drama with a surreal, sensually graphic theatricality, one that traded escapism for confrontation and - Artaud theorized - would rock the bourgeois establishment with "humor as destruction.""

See also The Attack of the Kraken, here this morning.

Last edited by trackstar on June 30th, 2010, 10:00 pm
I do not seek; I find.
- Pablo Picasso

frenchX

Art as Subversion

July 2nd, 2010, 12:51 pm

Moliere, an activist actor

katastrofa

Re: Art as Subversion

December 16th, 2016, 12:44 am

Interesting exhibition: Animality

trackstar
Topic Author

December 16th, 2016, 2:40 am

One of my favorite artists is Joseph Beuys and you may know about his "Action": spending three days in a gallery room with a coyote.

Tate Description, including I Like America... (1974)

"Beuys’s felt blankets, walking stick and gloves became sculptural props throughout the Action. In addition, fifty new copies of the Wall Street Journal were introduced each day, which the coyote acknowledged by urinating on them. Beuys regularly performed the same series of actions with his eyes continuously fixed on the coyote. At other times he would rest or gather the felt around him to suggest the figure of a shepherd with his crook. The coyote’s behaviour shifted throughout the three days, becoming cautious, detached, aggressive and sometimes companionable..."

Some might start talking about animal cruelty, I suppose, but to me this shows the possibilities of communication and learning with an open mind.  
Maybe leading to deeper empathy for all creatures.
I do not seek; I find.
- Pablo Picasso

katastrofa

December 16th, 2016, 5:37 am

I guess being open-minded means different things to different persons. Still, Beuys's reality shows were not the most drastic displays of how German avant-garde continued the great tradition of exploring inter-racial/special differences.

ppauper

April 24th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Cuchulainn

April 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

http://www.datasimfinancial.com

“Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” Samuel Langhorne Clemens

ppauper

May 7th, 2017, 8:27 am

anyone ever heard of New York artist Christopher Wool.?
one of his paintings got vandalized in aspen
CCTV catches bizarre attack on $5.7 million painting in US gallery

or is $5.7M chump change in the art world these days?

ppauper

May 19th, 2017, 7:34 am

Traden4Alpha

May 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

ppauper wrote:
I'd bet it was bought by a high-priced psychotherapist for their waiting room. That painting will surely give all the patients nightmares and thus ensure a steady stream of revenues for the shrink.

ppauper

May 20th, 2017, 6:36 am

Traden4Alpha wrote:
ppauper wrote:

I'd bet it was bought by a high-priced psychotherapist for their waiting room.  That painting will surely give all the patients nightmares and thus ensure a steady stream of revenues for the shrink.

would any of the art aficionados care to explain the rich symbolism in this masterpiece?
to me, it looks like someone has scribbled over it in a black crayon and someone else has played tic tac toe on it

Paul

May 20th, 2017, 6:57 am

At least it probably won't be hung the wrong way up.

trackstar
Topic Author

May 20th, 2017, 12:08 pm

ppauper wrote:
would any of the art aficionados care to explain the rich symbolism in this masterpiece?
to me, it looks like someone has scribbled over it in a black crayon and someone else has played tic tac toe on it

I will tell you what I see, but it's purely subjective.

The skull: black, white, red

Violence, either state sponsored or tribal - think of some of the hot spots of the 70s and 80s - Central America, Africa, "Mothers of the Disappeared".

The tic tac toe:

The arbitrary chance of being a victim of that violence or avoiding it

X you lose
O you survive

The yellow:

Some might try to see the sun or a hopeful sign, but I see sickness. Though maybe also an effort to make a path away from the darker imagery.

The blue and white:

The purity and beauty of sky and clouds

All of human atrocities take place under the seeing but unmoved dome of the natural world.

God is not out there and does not intervene.

I have not read any art history or criticism about this painting. So just a naive look.

I did see the movie Basquiat when it came out. Possibly at a film festival; I don't remember.

If you are interested in the spring sales, Sotheby's had the second day of the contemporary art auction in NY yesterday - some Warhols, Motherwells, other things...
Last edited by trackstar on May 20th, 2017, 12:17 pm
I do not seek; I find.
- Pablo Picasso

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Don't forget Amsterdam 1980s. the street where Mrs Cuchulainn used to live and where my Italian teacher lives.
I lived around the corner and I can tell you it was not a dawdle in the Vondel park..

Very refined, what?

“Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Cuchulainn

May 20th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Paul wrote:
At least it probably won't be hung the wrong way up.

Unless it was a yoga school.

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...