Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

I have an awesome web 2.0 idea

January 16th, 2011, 4:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.

Traden4Alpha

January 16th, 2011, 4:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxTime to don the singlet and shorts and get out the rowing boat.i'm just a humble spectator now, kept my virtual % though. It's quite amusing to see people put all their energy into stupid fights like this, not doing actual work on the project...Sorry to hear this!People who squabble over dividing a future pie seldom ever get any pie.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

January 16th, 2011, 8:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.Japanese cooking is different: Many of the best sushi places have only a few counter seats and most of the time you order "Omakase" meaning that the chef freestyles today's best ingredients. One of my favorite places is a small shop south of Ginza that refused (!) Michelin stars.Troisgros is more like a production line. An absolutely stunning production line.

frenchX

January 16th, 2011, 8:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.Japanese cooking is different: Many of the best sushi places have only a few counter seats and most of the time you order "Omakase" meaning that the chef freestyles today's best ingredients. One of my favorite places is a small shop south of Ginza that refused (!) Michelin stars.Troisgros is more like a production line. An absolutely stunning production line.Lucky you that you can have real sushi in Japan ! I'm strongly addicted to the japanese food but in France the food is of uneven quality (from very good to very bad). If you come in Paris I strongly advise you to to Rue Saint Anne (sub station Pyramide between the Opéra Garnier and the Louvres/rivoli street). There are a lot of very good japanese food there. Eating at troisgros in Roanne would be my dream ! (one day maybe ...)

CrashedMint
Topic Author

January 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.Japanese cooking is different: Many of the best sushi places have only a few counter seats and most of the time you order "Omakase" meaning that the chef freestyles today's best ingredients. One of my favorite places is a small shop south of Ginza that refused (!) Michelin stars.Troisgros is more like a production line. An absolutely stunning production line.Lucky you that you can have real sushi in Japan ! I'm strongly addicted to the japanese food but in France the food is of uneven quality (from very good to very bad). If you come in Paris I strongly advise you to to Rue Saint Anne (sub station Pyramide between the Opéra Garnier and the Louvres/rivoli street). There are a lot of very good japanese food there. Eating at troisgros in Roanne would be my dream ! (one day maybe ...)nah, i'd rather eat french in france =)however i also love french in japan, as the french in france tend to hate me and the french in japan tend to love. or maybe they hate me too, but have adapted to japanese service standards. then again, i'm quite good at japanese while my spoken french sucks a lot, so it's probably my fault.

frenchX

January 16th, 2011, 8:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.Japanese cooking is different: Many of the best sushi places have only a few counter seats and most of the time you order "Omakase" meaning that the chef freestyles today's best ingredients. One of my favorite places is a small shop south of Ginza that refused (!) Michelin stars.Troisgros is more like a production line. An absolutely stunning production line.Lucky you that you can have real sushi in Japan ! I'm strongly addicted to the japanese food but in France the food is of uneven quality (from very good to very bad). If you come in Paris I strongly advise you to to Rue Saint Anne (sub station Pyramide between the Opéra Garnier and the Louvres/rivoli street). There are a lot of very good japanese food there. Eating at troisgros in Roanne would be my dream ! (one day maybe ...)nah, i'd rather eat french in france =)however i also love french in japan, as the french in france tend to hate me and the french in japan tend to love. or maybe they hate me too, but have adapted to japanese service standards. then again, i'm quite good at japanese while my spoken french sucks a lot, so it's probably my fault.the french in Paris are (how can I say that) SPECIAL ! That's not your fault if french is not your native language. But don't worry we are not all assholes here
Last edited by frenchX on January 15th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

January 16th, 2011, 8:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXQuoteOriginally posted by: CrashedMintQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXCooking is more an art than a science and here it's almost a religion The "Meilleur Ouvrier de France" competition is HIGHLY selective. I have to say that eating in a restaurant is one of my favourite pleasure.I'd say that cooking (at restaurants with multiple Michelin stars) is more like the finest in high-quality, high-speed choreographed manufacturing. An artist can only make one one copy of one piece of art given weeks/months/years of toil and inspiration. In contrast, a top chef in a top restaurant kitchen can make 250 identically great appetizers, entrees, and desserts every single night with each dish taking no more than 10-40 minutes and while making sure all dishes to any one table come out together and at the right time. Generating exquisite quality on command, on deadline, and in the chaos of a restaurant is organizational magic.Japanese cooking is different: Many of the best sushi places have only a few counter seats and most of the time you order "Omakase" meaning that the chef freestyles today's best ingredients. One of my favorite places is a small shop south of Ginza that refused (!) Michelin stars.Troisgros is more like a production line. An absolutely stunning production line.Lucky you that you can have real sushi in Japan ! I'm strongly addicted to the japanese food but in France the food is of uneven quality (from very good to very bad). If you come in Paris I strongly advise you to to Rue Saint Anne (sub station Pyramide between the Opéra Garnier and the Louvres/rivoli street). There are a lot of very good japanese food there. Eating at troisgros in Roanne would be my dream ! (one day maybe ...)nah, i'd rather eat french in france =)however i also love french in japan, as the french in france tend to hate me and the french in japan tend to love. or maybe they hate me too, but have adapted to japanese service standards. then again, i'm quite good at japanese while my spoken french sucks a lot, so it's probably my fault.the french in Paris are (how can I say that) SPECIAL ! That's not your fault if french is not your native language. But don't worry we are not all assholes here well, the germans are "special" too AND their food sucks. so my money is on france =)

CrashedMint
Topic Author

September 13th, 2011, 10:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunnow *this* is useful !If This Then That Recipessomeone's reading gruber

farmer

December 3rd, 2011, 10:39 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunAn app that allows me to take pictures, parses the text out like word lense can, of and makes the text searchable.You could make this in three hours. There are a lot of open-source OCR libraries. And probably some implementations also kicking around the freelance captcha-cracker community you could get for $50.Hmm, actually you could make it in 40 minutes.