SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tagoma

World ranking (quite surprising)

June 19th, 2015, 10:57 am

MiloRambaldi

June 25th, 2015, 5:29 pm

From here:QuoteAnd you're waiting for me to tell you which one comes top. And I'm going to tell you, but first of all I want to tell you precisely what I mean when I say a good country. I do not mean morally good. When I say that Country X is the goodest country on Earth, and I mean goodest, I don't mean best. Best is something different. When you're talking about a good country, you can be good, gooder and goodest. It's not the same thing as good, better and best. This is a country which simply gives more to humanity than any other country. I don't talk about how they behave at home because that's measured elsewhere. And the winner is Ireland. From The Good Country Index:1. Ireland7. UK12. Canada21. USA30. Greece37. Israel95. Russia107. China

Cuchulainn

June 25th, 2015, 7:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiFrom here:QuoteAnd you're waiting for me to tell you which one comes top. And I'm going to tell you, but first of all I want to tell you precisely what I mean when I say a good country. I do not mean morally good. When I say that Country X is the goodest country on Earth, and I mean goodest, I don't mean best. Best is something different. When you're talking about a good country, you can be good, gooder and goodest. It's not the same thing as good, better and best. This is a country which simply gives more to humanity than any other country. I don't talk about how they behave at home because that's measured elsewhere. And the winner is Ireland. From The Good Country Index:1. Ireland7. UK12. Canada21. USA30. Greece37. Israel95. Russia107. ChinaQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.But Ireland gives more aid per capita to developing countries than any other. So maybe that's it. Who cooks up these numbers?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 24th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

ppauper

June 25th, 2015, 7:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiFrom here:QuoteAnd you're waiting for me to tell you which one comes top. And I'm going to tell you, but first of all I want to tell you precisely what I mean when I say a good country. I do not mean morally good. When I say that Country X is the goodest country on Earth, and I mean goodest, I don't mean best. Best is something different. When you're talking about a good country, you can be good, gooder and goodest. It's not the same thing as good, better and best. This is a country which simply gives more to humanity than any other country. I don't talk about how they behave at home because that's measured elsewhere. And the winner is Ireland. From The Good Country Index:1. Ireland7. UK12. Canada21. USA30. Greece37. Israel95. Russia107. ChinaQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true. Who cooks up these numbers?the metrics they use are f*cked up and can be used to produce any result you wish>> Quite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.they've just become the 1st country in the world to vote that sodomites should be allowed to marry one another, which probably scores high on an "equality" metric if not a prosperity metric

Cuchulainn

June 25th, 2015, 7:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: MiloRambaldiFrom here:QuoteAnd you're waiting for me to tell you which one comes top. And I'm going to tell you, but first of all I want to tell you precisely what I mean when I say a good country. I do not mean morally good. When I say that Country X is the goodest country on Earth, and I mean goodest, I don't mean best. Best is something different. When you're talking about a good country, you can be good, gooder and goodest. It's not the same thing as good, better and best. This is a country which simply gives more to humanity than any other country. I don't talk about how they behave at home because that's measured elsewhere. And the winner is Ireland. From The Good Country Index:1. Ireland7. UK12. Canada21. USA30. Greece37. Israel95. Russia107. ChinaQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true. Who cooks up these numbers?the metrics they use are f*cked up and can be used to produce any result you wish>> Quite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.they've just become the 1st country in the world to vote that sodomites should be allowed to marry one another, which probably scores high on an "equality" metric if not a prosperity metricYou don't say. The religious right lost, so now shut the fcuk up as you promised to do.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 24th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 25th, 2015, 7:36 pm

QuoteHow does the U.S. move up in the rankings? We can start with increasing foreign aid, which is less than 1 percent of the federal budget. Per capita, the United States spends $80.37 towards development aid. The average American spends more per year on candy, alone. Ireland contributes 6.8 percent of income per individual, certainly a larger amount than the average Americans candy budget. This is what makes Ireland ?good? and creates an image admired by other countries. In order to do well, America needs to do more good.

rmax

June 26th, 2015, 6:50 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper... sodomites ...You are obsessed

ppauper

June 26th, 2015, 8:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper... sodomites ...You are obsessedlet's put the quote in contextQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>> Quite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.they've just become the 1st country in the world to vote that sodomites should be allowed to marry one another, which probably scores high on an "equality" metric if not a prosperity metric

Cuchulainn

June 26th, 2015, 8:20 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper... sodomites ...You are obsessedlet's put the quote in contextQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>> Quite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.they've just become the 1st country in the world to vote that sodomites should be allowed to marry one another, which probably scores high on an "equality" metric if not a prosperity metricAnd that sticks in your craw. On the other hand, in NI there is still a ban on gay marriage.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 25th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

June 26th, 2015, 8:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteHow does the U.S. move up in the rankings? We can start with increasing foreign aid, which is less than 1 percent of the federal budget. Per capita, the United States spends $80.37 towards development aid. The average American spends more per year on candy, alone. Ireland contributes 6.8 percent of income per individual, certainly a larger amount than the average Americans candy budget. This is what makes Ireland ?good? and creates an image admired by other countries. In order to do well, America needs to do more good.I don't know where they got >> Ireland contributes 6.8 percent of income per individualfrom (or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what they're saying)Official development assistance by country as a percentage of Gross National Income in 201310 Ireland ? 0.45%20 United States ? 0.19%the total amount1 United States ? $31.55 billion19 Ireland ? $0.82 billionthat doesn't look like 6.8% of income to me

ppauper

June 26th, 2015, 8:29 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper... sodomites ...You are obsessedlet's put the quote in contextQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauper>> Quite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.they've just become the 1st country in the world to vote that sodomites should be allowed to marry one another, which probably scores high on an "equality" metric if not a prosperity metricAnd that sticks in your craw. On the other hand, in NI there is still a ban on gay marriage.No, I was responding to a question YOU askedQuoteQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.Who cooks up these numbers?

Cuchulainn

June 26th, 2015, 8:37 am

QuoteNo, I was responding to a question YOU askedNo, you were not. I mentioned prosperity and equality. You were looking for a chance to air your pet obsession.Now... if you ask me what I meant by 'prosperity and equality'. Your interpretation of my text is skewed. Open your mind.And which country does most evil?

ppauper

June 26th, 2015, 9:05 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteNo, I was responding to a question YOU askedNo, you were not. I mentioned prosperity and equality. here's the question you askedQuoteQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.Who cooks up these numbers?
Last edited by ppauper on June 25th, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

June 26th, 2015, 9:07 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteNo, I was responding to a question YOU askedNo, you were not. I mentioned prosperity and equality. here's the question you askedQuoteQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.Who cooks up these numbers?There you go again; copying and pasting all over the place. How are your interviewing skills? here's a hint THE TEN EQUALITIES

ppauper

June 26th, 2015, 9:20 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteNo, I was responding to a question YOU askedNo, you were not. I mentioned prosperity and equality. here's the question you askedQuoteQuite surprising; Ireland gets '1' for prosperity and equality which is certainly NOT true.Who cooks up these numbers?There you go again; copying and pasting all over the place. lol, so we agree that you asked the question
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On