SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

trackstar
Topic Author

Platonic Ideals - A Symposium on Truth, Beauty, Love and Math

November 27th, 2010, 11:05 am

Let no one enter here who is ignorant of mathematics.- Plato**Everything is becoming, nothing is.- Plato ***The Myth of the Cave (later)
Last edited by trackstar on November 26th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

November 27th, 2010, 2:51 pm

you trying to tempt Professor Hamilton to stay ?

trackstar
Topic Author

November 27th, 2010, 11:04 pm

When old age shall this generation waste,Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woeThan ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,--that is allYe know on earth, and all ye need to know.'-John Keats, "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

trackstar
Topic Author

April 24th, 2011, 1:03 am

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. Plato

Hamilton

December 6th, 2011, 4:51 am

ppauper

December 6th, 2011, 8:54 am

nice to see a familiar face

trackstar
Topic Author

December 6th, 2011, 10:17 am

Theory of Forms"...These Forms are the essences of various objects: they are that without which a thing would not be the kind of thing it is. Plato held that the world of Forms is transcendent to our own world (the world of substances) and also is the essential basis of reality. Furthermore, he believed that true knowledge and intelligence underlie the ability to grasp the world of Forms with one's mind.A Form is aspatial (transcendent to space) and atemporal (transcendent to time). Atemporal means that it does not exist within any time period, rather it provides the formal basis for time. It grounds the concepts of beginning, persistance, and ending. Forms are neither eternal and existing forever, nor mortal, and of limited duration. They exist in a state that transcends time altogether. Seen on an aesthetic level, a Form is an objective "blueprint" of perfection. The Forms are perfect in and of themselves because they are unchanging."Lightly adapted by trackstar**And if you had a Form like that, clearly you would maintain it, but there is no need to change it! Discus Thrower (Discobolus)Roman, 2nd century
Last edited by trackstar on December 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

December 6th, 2011, 10:21 am

So, Hamilton, should Form always follow Function, or does Function follow Form in certain circumstances?Please provide some thoughtful original commentary.

Hamilton

December 6th, 2011, 5:58 pm

That depends.In what sense are you referring to Form, and what are the circumstances?

Hamilton

December 6th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Also, why is this thread quoting from Wikipedia and not the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy?Standards have really fallen in my absence.Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

quantmeh

December 6th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Plato's junk. that's what i've learn from three grad level courses on Philosophy

Hamilton

December 6th, 2011, 6:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehPlato's junk. that's what i've learn from three grad level courses on PhilosophyYour omniscience is most impressive. Perhaps you could enlighten our tiny minds.

quantmeh

December 6th, 2011, 6:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonQuoteOriginally posted by: quantmehPlato's junk. that's what i've learn from three grad level courses on PhilosophyYour omniscience is most impressive. Perhaps you could enlighten our tiny minds.you have to read his b/s books, really. like "world of forms". it's such a nonsense it made my head ache. ideal world of forms, which comes from nowhere. people tend to know Plato on high school/undergrad level, where idiocy of his views is not really evident. once you start digging deeper, you see all this junk beneath obvious common sense, which is on everyone's Plato index cardsif you want intelligent conversation on Plato, you should step aside from wikipedia quotes, and bring one of "his" books up, get the concrete subject and explain how it makes a sense or help you in any way. it also helps to take a couple of vodka shots before starting to type.
Last edited by quantmeh on December 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

December 6th, 2011, 6:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HamiltonAlso, why is this thread quoting from Wikipedia and not the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy?Standards have really fallen in my absence.Stanford Encyclopedia of PhilosophyActually my choice of quotation was deliberate - I used a rough cut from Wikipedia to ascertain where *your* standards are these days.As was evident in the past, the Stanford Encyclopedia is apparently still good enough for you.For me, quoting directly from the source is the preferred and, in fact, the only way to discuss philosophical concepts legitimately.Even your words about Plato's words are a derivative, perhaps a blunt and clumsy one at that.
Last edited by trackstar on December 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

December 6th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I see that quantmeh has similar views on the use of primary sources.So,, Hamilton, here is your assignment for the evening.Please read these three works by Plato and construct an essay for us, comparing and contrasting the views expressed by the various interlocutors on Form, Function, and Ideal. If you would like to extend your intertextual analysis, you may also touch on Truth, Beauty and Love, through use of these or other Platonic works.ParmenidesPhaedoThe RepublicThese links are courtesy of The Internet Classics Archive at MIT
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On