Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

outrun

Re: is elon musk for real?

February 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

BTW, where does that smoke/dust come from?
On the video it looks like it is some matter on the landing area which disperses as the rockets get closer.

That's the burning remains from the container that kept the last remaining malaria mosquito in the world.
LOL
BTW I thought maybe it is some chemicals intendedly spread over the landing area to cool down the rocket and/or prevent fire.
Strange indeed. One theory I found is that it's simply dust. Another theory that it's the paint burning: 

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/871228411494014976

outrun

February 8th, 2018, 5:42 pm

400 years from now

tags

February 23rd, 2018, 8:38 pm

This vid is really worth.
EDIT: Put your headset on
Last edited by tags on March 13th, 2018, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

March 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm

rmax

March 13th, 2018, 12:46 pm

BTW, where does that smoke/dust come from?
On the video it looks like it is some matter on the landing area which disperses as the rockets get closer.

That's the burning remains from the container that kept the last remaining malaria mosquito in the world.
LOL
BTW I thought maybe it is some chemicals intendedly spread over the landing area to cool down the rocket and/or prevent fire.
By guess is landing pad debris burning.
As point of interest after the first Apollo went up, they realised that the amount of noise it generated created a shock wave reflected off the launch pad and the reflected energy might damage the launch vehicle. Hence every Apollo launch post the first one would mean that they would spray the pad in water to dampen the noise.

ppauper

March 14th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Traden4Alpha

March 18th, 2018, 10:44 am

LOL
As point of interest after the first Apollo went up, they realised that the amount of noise it generated created a shock wave reflected off the launch pad and the reflected energy might damage the launch vehicle. Hence every Apollo launch post the first one would mean that they would spray the pad in water to dampen the noise.
Yes, the sound level was something like 220 dB.  On some large rocket launches you can see the sound waves ripplling out in spherical shells in the clouds of billowing exhaust.

rmax

March 21st, 2018, 6:04 pm

LOL
Yes, the sound level was something like 220 dB.  On some large rocket launches you can see the sound waves ripplling out in spherical shells in the clouds of billowing exhaust.
Come on America and do some really interesting stuff again. 

tags

March 21st, 2018, 6:39 pm

You sound like you were one of those who just deleted their FB account.

Collector

March 21st, 2018, 7:41 pm

You sound like you were one of those who just deleted their FB account.
yes I remember what surprised me the most when watching the old space shuttle taking off from other side of the lake was the enormous sound, like thunder. I did not think about it conscious, but guess this must have been where my brain must have understood what a waste of energy, and then my brain started working on the Planck Photon Rocket! 

Next day visited the outdoor rocket museum: I am the Rocket Man!!!
The rockets at the museum where not so big, I almost felt I could lift them! 

tags

April 2nd, 2018, 8:44 pm

CRS-14 mission

ppauper

May 6th, 2018, 5:30 am

NASA advisers say SpaceX rocket technology could put lives at risk
When Elon Musk and his team at SpaceX were looking to make their Falcon 9 rocket even more powerful, they came up with a creative idea — keep the propellant at super-cold temperatures to shrink its size, allowing them to pack more of it into the tanks.
But the approach comes with a major risk, according to some safety experts. At those extreme temperatures, the propellant would need to be loaded just before takeoff — while astronauts are aboard. An accident, or a spark, during this maneuver, known as "load-and-go," could set off an explosion.

katastrofa

May 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Маск хотів купити домен Української правди

Apparently, Musk tried to buy the domain pravda.com *from Russia*, but they didn't want to sell it. Someone enlightened him that Pravda is Ukrainian, so he bought Pravduh.com - duh!

ppauper

June 15th, 2018, 5:51 am

Fast lane to the future: Entrepreneur Elon Musk announces plans for futuristic Chicago transit system

this one is underground electric vehicles traveling at 150mph taking you from O'Hare to downtown in 12 minutes

I've been through Midway dozens of times but I've only ever been to O'Hare once and that was to connect to a flight to Hong Kong
Last edited by ppauper on June 15th, 2018, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

June 15th, 2018, 3:13 pm

[url=https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/f ... sit-system]Fast lane to the future: Entrepreneur Elon Musk announces plans for futuristic Chicago transit system [/url

this one is underground electric vehicles traveling at 150mph taking you from O'Hare to downtown in 12 minutes

I've been through Midway dozens of times but I've only ever been to O'Hare once and that was to connect to a flight to Hong Kong
I've made that trip (downtown to O'Hare) many times. It's pretty consistently 45 minutes by car in the morning commute. There's a train in the median, but it's not non-stop. I hope he can pull it off, although one wonders what X years of construction will do to the 45 minutes?