Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Facebook

February 16th, 2021, 7:46 pm

One has to login to one's deleted account in order to ask.
Why not try Linkedin aka FB 2.0?

We could do with your help against Remoaners who say not nice things about B***IT.

bearish

February 16th, 2021, 7:51 pm

No doubt you have thought of this, but it doesn't seem like people are making these delete decisions - AI/machines are.

And maybe you were deleted because there is another Paul Wilmott who has been banned for whatever activities (fair or not) - and by some stretch of the imagination, if there even is a quality control check, maybe you look enough like him that the machine decided you were indeed that Paul Wilmott.

I'm not justifying such banning in any case, but I've heard some other FB and TW stories and they are weird - irrational deletions/bans

I've never done much with FaceBook myself, I just have an account because a few friends from high school and college are there.

However, I'd be happy to try some experiments.  Please feel free to suggest things that might result in a ban but that aren't truly offensive. For example, I can start posting about the card game bridge and mention Trump cards frequently or whatever.

I also have quite a few email addresses and separate phone numbers and could set up a couple of accounts that way as well.

“I got three passports, a couple of visas,
You don’t even know my real name”

trackstar

February 16th, 2021, 8:08 pm

bearish:

Haha - Talking Heads - nice.

I've posted this one before - my kayak is named  "Sugaree."
Also, deletion against one's will is not good, but what about if you want to disappear and can't?

From a practical standpoint, I can't delete myself here.  Even the "Right to be Forgotten" in the EU doesn't quite work on the Forum and going manually post by post would take...years? : D  So, for better or worse, I am trapped in cyber-amber.
amber.jpg

Paul

February 16th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Why not try Linkedin aka FB 2.0?

We could do with your help against Remoaners who say not nice things about B***IT.
Invite Tony Blair, even he has started to realise how useless the EU is (Article 16). Oh, and all those continentals who can't get the vaccine.

Paul

February 16th, 2021, 8:30 pm

No doubt you have thought of this, but it doesn't seem like people are making these delete decisions - AI/machines are.

And maybe you were deleted because there is another Paul Wilmott who has been banned for whatever activities (fair or not) - and by some stretch of the imagination, if there even is a quality control check, maybe you look enough like him that the machine decided you were indeed that Paul Wilmott.

I'm not justifying such banning in any case, but I've heard some other FB and TW stories and they are weird - irrational deletions/bans

I've never done much with FaceBook myself, I just have an account because a few friends from high school and college are there.

However, I'd be happy to try some experiments.  Please feel free to suggest things that might result in a ban but that aren't truly offensive. For example, I can start posting about the card game bridge and mention Trump cards frequently or whatever.

I also have quite a few email addresses and separate phone numbers and could set up a couple of accounts that way as well.

I've given FB one passport and two driving licences to prove who I am. I guess they've got all they need from me and I am disposable.

Paul

February 16th, 2021, 8:32 pm

From a practical standpoint, I can't delete myself here.  Even the "Right to be Forgotten" in the EU doesn't quite work on the Forum and going manually post by post would take...years? : D  So, for better or worse, I am trapped in cyber-amber.
Your wish... It just takes a few clicks and it will be as if you never existed. We get such requests from time to time. Usually from people who've never posted!!!

trackstar

February 16th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Your wish... It just takes a few clicks and it will be as if you never existed. We get such requests from time to time. Usually from people who've never posted!!!
That would be amazing, as long as it would not mess up other people's posts or crash the Forum somehow.

Fingers crossed it can work and if so, goodbye everyone!  It was lots of fun and good luck to all of you!

Paul

February 16th, 2021, 8:58 pm

I'll give you a few days to think about it!

trackstar

February 16th, 2021, 9:17 pm

It would be a very nice way to start the Year of the Metal Ox. 

But naturally only if other people's posts can be preserved (I think it should be possible, but otherwise, it's not fair to the other contributors to the OT).

So, we can let it roll a while longer, but great to know it's an option!  Happy New Year!

katastrofa

February 16th, 2021, 11:56 pm

@going manually post by post would take...years?

A simple script could do this for you, but it there enough energy in the universe to turn chaos into entropy? :shock:

Paul, I think fb is just verifying (stealing) your identity. You'll be back in the game in a couple of days.

Last year, when advertising my vegan moulded cheeses, I got reported and suspended for 24 hours after posting my photo with Penicillium Roqueforti. I'm wondering what someone thought it was?
Last edited by katastrofa on February 17th, 2021, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearish

February 17th, 2021, 1:11 am

It probably didn’t pass the smell test

trackstar

February 17th, 2021, 11:47 am

Lovely! What a pleasant way to start the day!

On the Laws of Thermodynamics, a little refresher:

- The first law, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system.
- The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of any isolated system always increases.
- The third law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a system approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

So, with regard to W Forum, you can see how it all applies. (Or we can discuss, if necessary).

The first and second laws get a lot of glory, but the third law is perhaps the most mysterious in its apparent tension with the second law and also its line in the sand. |0|

On that question from yesterday - an exciting and liberating thought, to be sure, but we can leave the post-tome as it is here.

How else will I be able to compete with Paul for the Nobel Prize in Literature (and maybe Economics too!)?  : D

Pink skies out there and I'm off for an early morning hike with my Yak Trax on.  Vale, Forum!

katastrofa

February 18th, 2021, 6:53 am

You are pretty relevant here. I was a glitch in the system and should use the script :-)

The anti-entropy instincts in living beings are fascinating against so many laws in favour of disorder*, aren't they? It requires a massive disordering force or a very smart script to overcome them.

*I know it's not right to associate entropy with disorder. I'm a post-physicist, so I don't care :-P

trackstar

February 18th, 2021, 9:15 am

Haha. No way - there is enough room on the Forum for two women. Imagine if there were even more! My sister used to visit sometimes (dressed as me - hehe) and we had some good laughs years ago. I think yours did too - I won’t disclose the avatar name, but hope she is doing well in the outback.

My impulse to “get free” is about cyberspace in general, but that thought comes and goes. People I know IRL who are on FaceBook or a Twitter go through similar cycles. It’s a Hotel California problem.

Enjoy your day - more snow coming to New England this week and always good to share the forest adventures with you and everyone else here!

Cuchulainn

February 18th, 2021, 1:33 pm

[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Fergal Scahill's fiddle tune a day 2017 - Day 359 - “If there weren’t any women in the world...”[/color]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUjuh0LxLpg