SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

tagoma

Stupid question of the day

January 23rd, 2016, 5:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaSay I saw quite cheap Ray Ban sunglasses on some website.Is there a way to be sure these are genuine RB (before buying)?Nothing the cheap website tells you or sends you can be trusted. Even the serial number could be faked (the website could copy a valid a serial number and you'd never know if 2 to ∞ pairs of glasses share the same serial number). But you could ask Ray Ban if that website is among their authorized outlets.Is Ray Ban 'hip'? Isn't a bit like Heineken, Rolex and Peter Stuyvesant? i.e. stuff your parents used. I suppose you want the Ray Bane name etched on the sunglasses, what?If the sunglasses from the cheap website say "Ray Bane" then they will go perfectly with that inexpensive Bolex watch.I found out B&G sunglasses while swimming in the Mediteraneam sea in Barcelona (some 10 m from the shore and 1.50 deep in the sea. I wore them 6 years or so.What's that? Bolsa & Gabana? Bang & Golufsen? Must have been cast iron if they lasted 6 years. My sunglasses half life is a couple of days.B&G must be quite cheap, indeed! :DDo you wear edible sunglasses?I finally got for free Ray-Ban sunglasses with my Air-France vouchers.=
Last edited by tagoma on January 22nd, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

January 29th, 2016, 7:12 pm

What does this graph represent?
Last edited by tagoma on January 28th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

February 7th, 2016, 3:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaWhat does this graph represent?No clue?

tagoma

February 7th, 2016, 3:59 pm

How can founders of online brokerage/trading platform companies come up with commercial names such as "Ninja Trader", "Think or Swim", "Warrior Trading"? I mean what is the mental process behind?
Last edited by tagoma on February 6th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppauper

February 7th, 2016, 10:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaHow can founders of online brokerage/trading platform companies come up with commercial names such as "Ninja Trader", "Think or Swim", "Warrior Trading"? I mean what is the mental process behind?many years ago, ninja loans meant no income, no job, no assetsdoes ninja trader mean the same?

CrashedMint
Topic Author

February 7th, 2016, 10:42 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaWhat does this graph represent?No clue?Seems like a coding example with some badly labeled numbers. Most likely some weird biological feature of some animal: "It" never is longer than 1 millimeter.

CrashedMint
Topic Author

February 7th, 2016, 10:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaHow can founders of online brokerage/trading platform companies come up with commercial names such as "Ninja Trader", "Think or Swim", "Warrior Trading"? I mean what is the mental process behind?It's smart. There is a whole group of idiots out there who believe they should be traders and will eat this up. Not smart people. Will probably work a cellphone salesman during the day.

katastrofa

February 8th, 2016, 12:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaQuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaWhat does this graph represent?No clue?Off the top of my head: biology/genetics? Birds or other species with or without sexual dimorphism?

katastrofa

February 8th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Don't you think they should have changed the name of Pacific Ocean after WW2?

Traden4Alpha

February 8th, 2016, 5:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDon't you think they should have changed the name of Pacific Ocean after WW2?Indeed!And shouldn't there be a phase-out of "New" after some number of centuries? Is New York really still new?

daveangel

February 8th, 2016, 5:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDon't you think they should have changed the name of Pacific Ocean after WW2?Indeed!And shouldn't there be a phase-out of "New" after some number of centuries? Is New York really still new?yeah the other York is quite old
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Traden4Alpha

February 8th, 2016, 5:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaDon't you think they should have changed the name of Pacific Ocean after WW2?Indeed!And shouldn't there be a phase-out of "New" after some number of centuries? Is New York really still new?yeah the other York is quite oldExactly!And what if some third place wants to be an even newer York?Thus, "York" -> "Old York" and "New York" -> "York".Of course, if Old York does a complete remodel, then it should be able to steal the "New (and Improved) York" title.

katastrofa

February 8th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Newer York

Traden4Alpha

February 8th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Newest York

somor

February 8th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Novel York...novel yorker(s)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On