SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Stupid question of the day

June 19th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Paul wrote:
When is the optimal time to join a mob?

I prefer you just the way you are, Don't get embwoilded with the wabble.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

katastrofa

June 27th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
What is wrong with the Germans? (It's not a rethorical question this time.) I often meet German trips or tourists in supermarkets in my area. They seem not to understand a word in English (I used to speak German and still can understand their collaborative effort to understand what's happening around them). They can never figure out self-service checkouts either. I stayed in Hamburg and Berlin several months, and - if you don't count starving over the first weekend - i managed to survive; the checkouts' left was left and right was right. How did they build the strong economy?

German speak excellent English in general. After the Swedes the best on the mainland. The Dutch as well but the grammar needs improving. In the souith English is less common and people are less comfortable.

On the other side, those whose first language is English tend to be mono-lingual. This is cultural anaemia.

And absprache ist absprache, no U-turns.

Did you know Monte was obsessed with Ernst Rommel?

You were on the outside looking in, maybe?

From what I've experienced, if a German speaks English, their accent is terrible (the, nomen omen, noble example I can boastfully give is Klaus von Klitzing - when he spoke, it always took me a while to figure out whether it was in German or English). Besides, they simplify the grammar to the verge of correctness and use very basic vocabulary (no sophisticated words or idioms). They are fluent though... and still much better than the Dutch :-) Italians simply don't speak and don't understand English. I must have the sense of my life written all-over my face, because most of Piedmontese whom I asked about the way (I've just come back from Turin) answered "gianduja". Still, I'd trade all my passports and sell my soul to be born Italian.

Best English speakers, imho: Belgians, Austrians, Poles (probably most shop assistants in Warsaw speak better English than I), Palestinians. Ukrainians are decent too.

Cuchulainn

June 27th, 2017, 6:36 pm

piemontesi

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

Cuchulainn

June 29th, 2017, 11:15 am

How do you know the summer is here?

The rain is warmer..

Mark Twain

katastrofa

July 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking about running off home, to Italy...

What's the strange network name?
Attachments
IMG_9812.PNG

Traden4Alpha

July 2nd, 2017, 1:49 am

katastrofa wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about running off home, to Italy...

What's the strange network name?
Either someone has a bizarre name for their phone's hotspot or it's a special WiFi network for the 9th car back from the engine.

katastrofa

July 9th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Has anyone of you ever tried to build a water demineralisation plant? The tap water ruins my filter coffee, while buying plastic bottles of low mineral-content water ruins my eco-Nazi image.

ppauper

July 9th, 2017, 9:50 pm

would a brita filter jug (or generic equivalent) do the task?

Traden4Alpha

July 9th, 2017, 10:51 pm

I use a 10-stage canister filter system (about the size of a 1.5 liter bottle) that T's into the faucet. The replaceable filters are good for 1500 gallons or about a year. It claims to remove all sorts of things (chlorine, heavy metals, organic crap, etc.) although not minerals.

katastrofa

July 10th, 2017, 1:33 am

I use Brita and it is usually enough for me when it comes to naturally processed beans (all such beans have a very similar flavour to  me). I can taste more notes in washed coffees, but the Brita filtered water seems to extract mostly the acidic ones.
I've been told by several barristas that the minerals in tap water somehow impede the extraction of sugars and other flavours from the beans, but now that I'm reading about it, it seems more complicated: some minerals are actually helpful (eg. magnesium). I need to experiment with it a bit more...

ppauper

July 10th, 2017, 5:52 am

I believe the brita jugs claim amongst other things to soften the water, so they're pulling at least some minerals out

if you're at the point where you want this mineral gone and that one to stay, it may be easier to use distilled water to which you add the minerals you want

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2017, 8:09 am

katastrofa wrote:
Has anyone of you ever tried to build a water demineralisation plant? The tap water ruins my filter coffee, while buying plastic bottles of low mineral-content water ruins my eco-Nazi image.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11193/7 ... again.html

we bought some bottled water in Reykavik few weeks ago. It's exactly the same as tap water as we were later told..

Mark Twain

Traden4Alpha

July 10th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I'd think that pH would have a significant effect on what's extracted from the grounds followed by the effects of specific cations (e.g., Mg++, Na+, etc.) and specific anions (e.g., Cl-, CO3--) which might bind to various chemicals in coffee and either enhance solubility to induce precipitation.

Which chemical species ones are "good" is another matter (and subject to personal preference). Unless you find good double-blind studies, I'd not trust internet or barista lore about There's a lot speculative garbage on the internet (such as this post) that's passed off as science.

Perhaps you and spouse can do your own double-blind testing. He could randomize the treated water going into two identical coffee makers (and you do the tasting) and then you randomize two cups (and he does a tasting).

Cuchulainn

July 10th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Question for Dutch speakers!

Is "plaatdrachtvinden"  a real word or is a term used by (18th century) jurists?

Mark Twain

tagoma

August 10th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Will word clouds ever relief pain in this World?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...