SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

frolloos

Re: Stupid question of the day

August 13th, 2017, 12:36 pm

The Irish have managed pretty well so far. E.g "Eoiffe" is apparently "Eve".

Paul

August 13th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Paul wrote:
Those are American names anyway, so really just random syllables thrown together and put on a birth certificate.
Yes, they run the name through a password strength checker these days.

What's funny is that the kid will be hobbled for life when every voice recognition and auto-correct system on their devices, apps, customer service systems, government systems, etc. are unable to recognize and spell their name.

Worse than that, you have to spell out to Americans perfectly simple classical names, P-A-U-L.

katastrofa

August 13th, 2017, 7:02 pm

ppauper wrote:
14 Names Nobody Wants to Call Their Kids Anymore

Krista is a name that definitely surprised us. Really? Not a single Krista? Yep. Turns out the name has fallen in popularity by more than 1,200 percent over the last year, according to BabyCenter user data.

what does that mean?
If it fell in popularity by 100%, that would mean that if 10,000 babies were called Krista last year, then 0 would be called Krista this year.
But falling by more than 1,200%...does that mean people who already had the name changed it to something else?

Continuously compounded decrease rate? I thought finance is the field in which such concepts are believed to make sense.

Cuchulainn

August 14th, 2017, 12:23 pm

frolloos wrote:
The Irish have managed pretty well so far. E.g "Eoiffe" is apparently "Eve".

She was my girl friend once.
Means "beauty" from the Gaelic word aoibh. In Irish legend Aoife was a warrior princess. In war against her sister Scathach, she was defeated in single combat by the hero Cúchulainn. Eventually she was reconciled with her sister and became the lover of Cúchulainn. This name is sometimes used as a Gaelic form of EVE or EVA.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

frolloos

August 14th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I have several Irish colleagues. They are almost all very knowledgeable, and without exception modest. Is modesty an Irish thing? The world needs more modesty!

katastrofa

August 14th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Is sycophancy a ... where are you from?

frolloos

August 14th, 2017, 2:33 pm

katastrofa wrote:

Certainly I don't have your brains, afterall you have a Ph.D and I don't, and you know how to spell Eliz/sabeth and I don't, and you know difficult words, like synchopathetic, that's just so awesome, you even know how to be witty, I really don't know how you do that - because I just don't get it, like I don't think you're witty at all. Sorry, I'm just a simpleton that gets along with simple people, and  I've had a few glasses of wine but I really am curious where you are from, not the country (I know a lot of very friendly and modest Polish and Spanish people), but the state? 

Cuchulainn

August 14th, 2017, 4:07 pm

frolloos wrote:
I have several Irish colleagues. They are almost all very knowledgeable, and without exception modest. Is modesty an Irish thing? The world needs more modesty!

Just like me, what? :D

Which part of Ireland are they from? Do they speak Dutch yet? Do they like Bono?

frolloos

August 14th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
frolloos wrote:

Just like me, what? :D

Which part of Ireland are they from? Do they speak Dutch yet? Do they like Bono?

You don't work for Aegon, so by definition you can't be modest :-D
Do they like Bono? As the best worst Irish movie tells us ("The Stag"), every Irishman likes Bono, and everyone wants to be like The Machine

Cuchulainn

August 14th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Excuse me while I get sick. Andrea Corr has a name for it.
Junior writes all his own  music.

katastrofa

August 15th, 2017, 4:36 am

frolloos wrote:
katastrofa wrote:

Certainly I don't have your brains, afterall you have a Ph.D and I don't, and you know how to spell Eliz/sabeth and I don't, and you know difficult words, like synchopathetic, that's just so awesome, you even know how to be witty, I really don't know how you do that - because I just don't get it, like I don't think you're witty at all. Sorry, I'm just a simpleton that gets along with simple people, and  I've had a few glasses of wine but I really am curious where you are from, not the country (I know a lot of very friendly and modest Polish and Spanish people), but the state? 

The fact that I pointed out some embarrassing errors in your posts doesn't make me a brainiac (the spelling was right, the queen was wrong). Still, I like how you remember every single dig I took at you.

frolloos

August 15th, 2017, 2:22 pm

katastrofa wrote:
frolloos wrote:
katastrofa wrote:

The fact that I pointed out some embarrassing errors in your posts doesn't make me a brainiac (the spelling was right, the queen was wrong). Still, I like how you remember every single dig I took at you.

I'm glad you like it, in addition to liking yourself and the world around you. One big and happy difference between you and me is that I don't need or want to take stabs at innocent people. I hope you're seeing someone. Cheerio.

outrun

August 15th, 2017, 2:41 pm

The risk of any of you two being a bot is substantial soon with all this AI. Think about the implications of you spending your time quarreling with a bot! Having internal emotional responses, a bad day, craving for snacks afterwards ... it's not worth it.

frolloos

August 15th, 2017, 2:50 pm

No bad days for me Outrun - I am leaving the firm, you know what a relief that is! :-D

outrun

August 15th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Really??? Congrats! Very curious about what your going to do next!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...