SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Stupid question of the day

November 9th, 2017, 10:15 am

katastrofa wrote:
Collector is a university researcher, isn't he?

Collector was the first Wilmotter in space. It's on his web site. See the movie! He discovered relativistic compound interest. 

He is also the only Wilmotter to have met Albert Einstein.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

katastrofa

November 9th, 2017, 10:49 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
That's why I come to this forum - to bask in the glow of your geniuses (some of you obtained a PhD before I was born).

1980 for me. 
I taught myself calculus at 14. I reckoned if Einstein could do it then it can't be all that difficult.

And (Paul will like) Ulysses at 16.

Would you believe it that Ulysses was on the extended list of reading texts in Polish primary schools (age < 15)? I didn't go to school much, but read them all :-)

Where did the smartest people go in your times? Science?

Collector

November 9th, 2017, 11:40 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Collector is a university researcher, isn't he?

Collector was the first Wilmotter in space. It's on his web site. See the movie! He discovered relativistic compound interest. 

He is also the only Wilmotter to have met Albert Einstein.

Krugman was the first to look into relativistic compound interest I think 1978, but he was hiding it in his drawers and published it first after my 2004 article.. (I guess it was political incorrect to talk about relativistic rates for some years). I was the first with relativistic volatility and relativistic option pricing.
Krugman also predicted massive Trump fall in stocks, he commented on it the other day, quite humble I would say!

ppauper

November 16th, 2017, 6:40 am

what kind of person works in a psychiatric hospital?

Caught: Escaped Hawaiian necrophiliac killer who flew to San Jose arrested in Stockton

at least 3 employees of the hospital had sex with him

katastrofa

November 16th, 2017, 1:26 pm

What does one wear for a business lunch with some big shots in a strategic industry? Informal, business-casual, smart-casual?

Traden4Alpha

November 16th, 2017, 1:53 pm

It depends on the industry. Are they bankers, academics, technology executives, government agency people, or what?

If you know where they work, you could scout the place at lunch time, see what employees wear, and pick something in top decile of that style (i.e., look like a well-dressed co-worker but not better dressed than they are).

The other question is: how do they expect you to dress? Do they see you as the professional consultant or as the techno-savant or ....?

Good luck!

Cuchulainn

November 16th, 2017, 1:56 pm

is croquet involved?

“Sir Walter Scott created rank & caste in the South and also reverence for and pride and pleasure in them"

Mark Twain

trackstar

November 16th, 2017, 2:10 pm

katastrofa wrote:
What does one wear for a business lunch with some big shots in a strategic industry? Informal, business-casual, smart-casual?

I tend to dress conservatively for conferences and lunch meetings. A high quality dark suit (navy, charcoal gray) with a good clean fit. I wear pants here, but if outside the US I might wear a skirt at or just below the knee. A single strand of medium-sized pearls, tasteful earrings (diamonds or white sapphires), and a good watch - then men see the business side first and foremost, and yet you have not sacrificed your feminine side completely.  My hair is quite long now, so I tie it back.  Makeup in a soft neutral palette. Complimentary shade to fit your natural tone for lipstick - not too pale, but not hot pink, screaming red, or goth purple-black...
I have never found that this is "overdressed" for these occasions and as a uniform it is like a fortress. 

Of course, there is a cultural bias here that responds well to this kind of "language", but it might seem much too formal and masculine for your context.
I do not seek; I find.
- Pablo Picasso

katastrofa

November 20th, 2017, 4:20 am

Thanks for the advice. I chose a modest and plain set in the end. The VIPs were a positive surprise: intelligent, interesting and eloquent. But is it just me or lawyers are the dumbest and most boring creatures in the universe?

Paul

December 7th, 2017, 9:02 am

Don’t you love it when the radio and the sat nav are in time?!

“City of stars, are you shining just for me?
In 400 yards turn right.”

Traden4Alpha

December 7th, 2017, 1:02 pm

That's a great idea for a new AI audio system.  The AI would injest the stream of music, satnav prompts, text messages, reminders, etc.  It would translate the text into verse consistent with the music and synthesize that additional text in the voice of the singer.

Paul

December 7th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Or during news bulletins. When Corbyn is being interviewed the sat nav would say “Make a hard left, driving over the cliff, you will be entering Oblivion.”

Cuchulainn

December 7th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
That's a great idea for a new AI audio system.  The AI would injest the stream of music, satnav prompts, text messages, reminders, etc.  It would translate the text into verse consistent with the music and synthesize that additional text in the voice of the singer.

A cheaper solution is just to manually turn off the radio at newstime. Especially in the coming month when you know hu will be interviewed every day.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 7th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Mark Twain

katastrofa

December 7th, 2017, 3:33 pm

The couple from La La La could perform in Guantanamo. They completely can't sing.

Paul

December 7th, 2017, 3:34 pm

katastrofa wrote:
The couple from La La La could perform in Guantanamo. They completely can't sing.

You have no soul!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...