SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Re: Stupid question of the day

January 12th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Yes that was an irritating UX issue!

Fortunately the new iPhones don't do this.  They use the haptic vibrator to do a litle double-clunk that can be felt, not heard.

katastrofa

January 12th, 2018, 10:18 pm

outrun wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
I actually sort of did exactly that :-D That's what happens to people who just apply and aren't trained in the field, right?

No! The best training is to be applied: have to deal with solving real world problems, ..and if you want good training on programming then there is so much high quality resources you can locate with quick google (and they are really worthwhile to study,.. if you are into that sort of thing).

Mrs outrun and I used to play computer games against each other on our LAN (Red Alert was one of out favourite, but Duke Nuke 'm, Half Life were a lot of fun too). Whenever there was a new game she would start clicking as a maniac all over the screen and before you know it she would get semi-organised and release endless mayhem on me. Like a piranha.. My survival strategy was to try and find a manual somewhere, or else iterate every key combination and make notes, pre-compute probability tables of optimal strategies when applicable (e.g. in Risk: attack or defend?).. and then slooowly we would even out. I would have my occasional laugh with a special hidden feature, but I could only use it once. 
..both methods of learning new games/skills worked really well, but I now know Mrs Outrun was doing applied Reinforcement Learning, and that's the way to go!

What I meant is rather that even though I've probably written more lines of code and big projects in C++ in my life than most people at least in this section of the forum - and I probably had an opportunity to use most available features - without proper education and research experience like Cuchulainn's, I'm doomed to keep wondering about basic stuff and asking silly questions. I like to think that I'm better than some self-proclaimed Internet experts and often cringe at errors and misconceptions in online manuals, but I can see that my knowledge is still not in a small part as in-depth and systematised as that in physics or statistics, in which I have solid training. I needed someone like Cuchulainn to put the label "anonymous object" on it - basic C++ stuff, but at a non-standard angle it still can look strange to my lame eye :-)

BTW, Cuchlainn is officially the first person in my life to whom I suck up. I was sometimes disgusted at how some of you suck up to Paul, but it actually doesn't feel that bad. Excuse me for a moment, I need to go and wash my nose...

PS. If Mrs outrun was American, I would vote for her for POTUS.

Paul

January 13th, 2018, 6:56 am

katastrofa wrote:
I was sometimes disgusted at how some of you suck up to Paul, but it actually doesn't feel that bad. Excuse me for a moment, I need to go and wash my nose...

It’s in the T&Cs, rigidly enforced.

Paul

January 13th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Who invented and/or popularized the flashback in books and/or movies?

outrun

January 13th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Peter Falk?

ppauper

January 13th, 2018, 9:26 pm

outrun

January 13th, 2018, 9:29 pm

ppauper wrote:

I had this vision you were going to post that, look at the last word on that page before the references section starts.

Cuchulainn

January 13th, 2018, 9:30 pm

Paul wrote:

James Joyce, of course.See 'Eveline'. But he did much more such as allusion,.stream of consciousness. Time is circular, as proved by Vico.

And in Ulysses, there are parallel worlds happening at the same time, each of which is full of flashbacks.

And JJ was the founder of the Volta cinema that I frequented as an undergrad.  It were Eisenstein who make the link between the novel and early cinema. I bet someone in USA somewhere has done a PhD on this topic.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=5o92Cg ... ta&f=false

Paul

January 13th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Paul wrote:

James Joyce, of course.See 'Eveline'. But he did much more such as allusion,.stream of consciousness. Time is circular, as proved by Vico.

And in Ulysses, there are parallel worlds happening at the same time, each of which is full of flashbacks.

And JJ was the founder of the Volta cinema 

Joyce didn’t do anything useful, other than parting some pretentious suckers from their money.

Cuchulainn

January 13th, 2018, 9:47 pm

ppauper wrote:

AKA ANALEPSIS (internal or external).
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/analepsis

Paul

January 13th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Google! Why didn’t I think of that?

Cuchulainn

January 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Or Evelyn Waugh? Brideshead revisited?

outrun

January 13th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Paul wrote:

hahahaha!

Cuchulainn

January 13th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Paul wrote:

"then there is so much high quality resources you can locate with quick google (and they are really worthwhile to study,.. if you are into that sort of thing)."

//
F. Zecca QED

Gamal

January 13th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Paul wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Paul wrote:

And JJ was the founder of the Volta cinema 

Joyce didn’t do anything useful, other than parting some pretentious suckers from their money.

Is that not enough?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...