SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Stupid question of the day

May 26th, 2018, 5:26 am

can someone explain this chalkboard to me

Antibiotics in Meat Could Be Damaging Our Guts
It has long been common knowledge in farming that antibiotics can help cause animals to grow fatter faster. Time is money, particularly in the food industry, and for many years ranchers used antibiotics not just for treating diseases but also for promoting growth so that animals would be ready for the slaughterhouse sooner.
I get all that, but where do black holes come in, and what is [$]\Delta[$]?

katastrofa

May 26th, 2018, 10:54 am

Delta might denote the physical scales investigated by physics and biology. The right side is living matter: microbiome with bacteria, which influence our immune system, which influence our offspring immunity. I'm guessing that he's showing the far reaching consequences of disturbing this system (even with something inconspicuous, like using antibiotics in farming), because it's interconnected like non-living matter in physics. I guess there are still people who need to be taught about it.

BTW, I chose the fibreglass & silk nail system.

outrun

May 29th, 2018, 10:01 am

I was just reading that a lot of people have strong feelings about other people drinking a glass of milk with icecubes in them (the combination of the two). Is that so? Why?

ppauper

May 29th, 2018, 10:15 am

I was just reading that a lot of people have strong feelings about other people drinking a glass of milk with icecubes in them (the combination of the two). Is that so? Why?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink that, but I can't imagine that someone else drinking it would have any effect on me either way

outrun

May 29th, 2018, 10:28 am

I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink that, but I can't imagine that someone else drinking it would have any effect on me either way
I've read that old folks do that. I'm with you, I also can't imagine having any problem with it, ..but I'm  also someone who expect that unexpected things will sometimes happen.

katastrofa

May 29th, 2018, 11:47 am

Maybe because it looks a bit like gargle liquid (spit up). I have the same thing about milk in tea.

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2018, 11:52 am

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

Traden4Alpha

May 29th, 2018, 11:53 am

I've never seen ice-in-milk either but can see how it might upset some people who are very conservative. I have seen similar non-standard practices of putting ice-cubes in white wine or beer that evoke strong feelings.

outrun

May 29th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I've never seen ice-in-milk either but can see how it might upset some people who are very conservative. I have seen similar non-standard practices of putting ice-cubes in white wine or beer that evoke strong feelings.
Very good.
The conservatism postulate would explains why both ppauper and I have no issue with it!

katastrofa

May 29th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Iced latte?

Collector

May 29th, 2018, 12:15 pm

"I've never seen ice-in-milk "  so I guess also you never had to cut up a frozen-dead cow? Harsh winters in  Norway! It happens!

but  I agree with you Traden4Alpha " it might upset some people who are very conservative. "

Not related to frozen cows, but actually a wolf took down a deer behind my neighbors barn this winter, and now another farmer around here found wolf foot prints. My mother talked about wolfs here in old times, then not here for 40 years or more, now they are back.  Wolf's possibly like milk with ice also.

Cuchulainn

May 29th, 2018, 12:48 pm

can someone explain this chalkboard to me

Antibiotics in Meat Could Be Damaging Our Guts
It has long been common knowledge in farming that antibiotics can help cause animals to grow fatter faster. Time is money, particularly in the food industry, and for many years ranchers used antibiotics not just for treating diseases but also for promoting growth so that animals would be ready for the slaughterhouse sooner.
I get all that, but where do black holes come in, and what is [$]\Delta[$]?
The best ideas are begotten at the kitchen sink.
Besides, you can use blackboard for the shopping list.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Every Time We Teach a Child Something, We Keep Him from Inventing It Himself
Jean Piaget

outrun

May 29th, 2018, 2:21 pm

If you woke up tomorrow morning a billionaire, what's the most extravagantly lavish thing you'd waste some money on?
I'd go to generic restaurants, give my waiter/waitress 100 dollars to send a glass of milk with ice in it to a specific table. The 100 dollars would be to keep quiet about who sent the milk.

I would do this several more times to the same table until they got visibly upset. No waiter in the world would stop sending ice milks, especially after I raise the offer to 500 dollars.

If I were a waiter I would gladly keep putting glasses of milk with ice in on someone's table even if they were screaming in my face if I made 500 bucks each time.

So yeah, I would do ice milk, instant classic.

Collector

May 29th, 2018, 2:39 pm

If you woke up tomorrow morning a billionaire, what's the most extravagantly lavish thing you'd waste some money on?
I'd go to generic restaurants, give my waiter/waitress 100 dollars to send a glass of milk with ice in it to a specific table. The 100 dollars would be to keep quiet about who sent the milk.

I would do this several more times to the same table until they got visibly upset. No waiter in the world would stop sending ice milks, especially after I raise the offer to 500 dollars.

If I were a waiter I would gladly keep putting glasses of milk with ice in on someone's table even if they were screaming in my face if I made 500 bucks each time.

eccentric milk billionaire 

outrun

May 29th, 2018, 2:58 pm

eccentric milk billionaire 
What was *that*??! Kraftwerk? Joaquin Phoenix or leonardo di Caprisun playing Howard Hughes?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On