Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Re: Stupid question of the day

June 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm

tt is a weeping willow. It is suffering from watermark sickness. It is rust in peace.
It was planted by the previous owner to the memory of his daughter who fell into the adjoining waterway and drowned.
That's so sad!

But on the literal bright side, the recommended treatment is felling and burning of the tree. Bonfire time!

outrun

June 5th, 2018, 3:59 pm

tt is a weeping willow. It is suffering from watermark sickness. It is rust in peace.
It was planted by the previous owner to the memory of his daughter who fell into the adjoining waterway and drowned.
That's so sad!

But on the literal bright side, the recommended treatment is felling and burning of the tree. Bonfire time!
Really sad. Can you cut a little branch, grow roots, and give it the previous owner so that he can plant it again somewhere else? Keep the memorial going?

ppauper

June 5th, 2018, 4:15 pm

That's so sad!

But on the literal bright side, the recommended treatment is felling and burning of the tree.  Bonfire time!
Really sad. Can you cut a little branch, grow roots, and give it the previous owner so that he can plant it again somewhere else? Keep the memorial going?
That's terrible about the daughter.

I'd be careful with cuttings. Watermark Disease is caused by a bacterium, and you don't want to spread it
How the bacterium spreads
11. There is strong circumstantial evidence in the case of Cricket bat willow that the bacterium can be introduced to new sites on propagation material cut from diseased stools. It can remain latent in the wood for many years before the symptoms of the disease are expressed.
I presume that's why the tree doctor asked cuch to burn it

Cuchulainn

June 5th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Here it is

ppauper

June 5th, 2018, 8:08 pm

it looks like global cooling has arrived in the netherlands

outrun

June 5th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Looks spoiled, almost full MC.. that's pretty far from minimal spanning.  You can still save it, but it'll cost you log log log n time.

Traden4Alpha

June 5th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Looks spoiled, almost full MC.. that's pretty far from minimal spanning.  You can still save it, but it'll cost you log log log n time.
The only rational thing to do is make some Dedekind cuts.

bearish

June 5th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Wait, I'm reminded of Mike Curran's willow tree (patented, I'm sure). Willow Tree.

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2018, 10:44 am

You should see it outside today.

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2018, 10:55 am

Wait, I'm reminded of Mike Curran's willow tree (patented, I'm sure). Willow Tree.
I vaguely someone extolling the virtues of this method but you don't seem to see it in mainstream?

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2018, 10:55 am

The only rational thing to do is make some Dedekind cuts.
More seriously, negative probabilities, 

bearish

June 6th, 2018, 10:57 am

You should see it outside today.
Having spent last week in Northen Europe I can testify that the delusions of global cooling were not supported by empirical observation. Warmest May in record in Oslo, for example. That is, of course, weather rather than climate, but a pretty extreme case of such.

bearish

June 6th, 2018, 10:59 am

I vaguely someone extolling the virtues of this method but you don't seem to see it in mainstream?
I looked at it at the time and, if memory serves me right, it worked well for simple cases (i.e. when you don’t really need it) and got messy in a hurry with time varying parameters or other such complications.

katastrofa

June 6th, 2018, 11:03 am

Bacterial diseases are nasty. For many agricultural plants the only way to get rid of the infection is to utilise the whole plantation and not to cultivate any susceptible species in the same soil for several years.

katastrofa

June 6th, 2018, 6:10 pm

I've just found a pigeon with a bleeding wing. Do you think I can keep him, possibly forever if he cannot fly again? Do you think there's any disease threat to my cats?