SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Stupid question of the day

July 5th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
ppauper wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
I know many -otherwise phlegmatic people- here who have gone to Anthony Robbins's shows for 600 bucks a shot. ..
Most of these books are trying to turn peoples' heads.

is that how much it costs? A woman I went out on a date with a long time ago told me she'd been to one of those shows
The other business model is let them in free for a teaser and sell them a dvd for $$$

In a room of 5000 people (i.e. 5000 X 600).  

BTW do people become better people. I know someone who jumped off a cliff into a pool of water to toughen himself up. 

I only knew her after she'd been, so no idea what she was like before

tagoma

July 14th, 2018, 8:51 pm

There is a giant sticker (WTF?) next to the keyboard of my new laptop that reads "Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8Ghz with Turbo Boost up to 4.0Ghz". Is that a chip technology derived from Michael Knight's KITT?

tagoma

July 20th, 2018, 7:28 pm

It looks like many people clean their car using washing soap. Do they really expect to get its fur soft and glossy? 

katastrofa

July 20th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Apropos Tagoma's question, I had to have a tooth removed (it broke at the roots, and they practically separated - the tooth died for mysterious reasons ca 20 years ago and it was apparently a miracle that it held together so long). Anyway, I plan to have an implant done in its place. Since people in finance have bad teeth (long working hours don't promote oral hygiene) and enough money to get implants, I thought it was a good place to ask for opinions. Do you have any experience with implants (grinders, not aesthetic implants for front teeth)? I've read a few bone-chilling or rather teeth-chattering stories in the Internet :-O

Paul

July 21st, 2018, 3:39 am

And it doesn't have to last beyond age 41?

katastrofa

July 21st, 2018, 11:51 am

It's hard to say. My suicide plans change depending on my cats' behaviour. So the implants won't last forever? Only ca 10 years? Some of them have lifetime warranty...

Paul

July 21st, 2018, 3:50 pm

I found late thirties early forties to be particularly exhilarating. 

tagoma

July 21st, 2018, 4:44 pm

Paul wrote:
I found late thirties early forties to be particularly exhilarating. 

Playing the part of Crockett in Miami Vice surrounded by bikinis probably came with many benefits.

Paul

July 21st, 2018, 5:27 pm

That was Buenos Aires. Much cooler.

That photo was on the back of Derivatives. I met some very interesting people thanks to that photo.

Paul

July 27th, 2018, 6:42 pm

If you like that photo you'll love some of these: https://www.wilmott.com/paul-wilmott/paul-wilmott-gallery/

Cuchulainn

July 27th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Paul wrote:
If you like that photo you'll love some of these: https://www.wilmott.com/paul-wilmott/paul-wilmott-gallery/

I like the one which looks like a group of PhD students.

The one in the hotel room with the drawn (purple!) curtains is a bit more sinister. BTW was the lamp functioning?

katastrofa

July 28th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I like all the photos, except the butch cut. It's definitely not for Paul - unless he was in the army. If you're balding I can recommend some simple remedies, but that horseshoe hairline looks quite natural.

Paul

July 28th, 2018, 11:53 pm

It’s been the same hairline for ever.

I have had it even shorter. I’ve got a great photo of me with a Mohican. Am deliberating whether the world is ready to see that.

Collector

July 29th, 2018, 7:21 am

from too much hairline in the soup to equations: 

\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}&=&-\frac{ z}{ v}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}&=&-\frac{ 1}{ vz}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} \nonumber \\
\end{eqnarray}

any insight? v velocity, t time etc. Similar to Maxwell?

ppauper

July 29th, 2018, 8:27 am

Collector wrote:
from too much hairline in the soup to equations: 

\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}&=&-\frac{ z}{ v}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x}&=&-\frac{ 1}{ vz}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} \nonumber \\
\end{eqnarray}

any insight? v velocity, t time etc. Similar to Maxwell?

there's no [$]z[$] derivatives? incorporate [$]z[$] into either [$]T[$] or [$]\rho[$], [$]\hat{\rho}=z\rho[$]

\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial \hat{\rho}}{\partial t}+v\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}&=&0 \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} +v\frac{\partial\hat{\rho}}{\partial x}&=&0\nonumber \\
\end{eqnarray}

one solution would be [$]T=\hat{\rho}[$] with [$]\frac{\partial \hat{\rho}}{\partial t}+v\frac{\partial\hat{\rho}}{\partial x}=0[$] which is a convective derivative, [$]\hat{\rho}[$] (and [$]T[$]) are constant on a blob of material as it moves

For more general solutions,
if [$]v[$] depends on either [$]x[$] or [$]t[$], you need more information (3 unknowns, 2 equations)
if [$]v[$] is independent of both [$]x[$] and [$]t[$], eliminate [$]\hat{\rho}[$] or [$]T[$]

\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial^2 \hat{\rho}}{\partial t^2}+v\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x\partial t}&=&0 \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial t\partial x} +v\frac{\partial^2 \hat{\rho}}{\partial x^2}&=&0\nonumber \\
\end{eqnarray}

\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial^2 \hat{\rho}}{\partial t^2}-v^2\frac{\partial^2 \hat{\rho}}{\partial x^2}&=&0 \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial t^2} -v^2 \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}&=&0\nonumber \\
\end{eqnarray}
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...