SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Stupid question of the day

October 21st, 2018, 7:56 am

Thanks!
We apparently don't have rabies on this island. Some time ago I asked my GP whether I should get a tetanus booster before travelling and she said it didn't make sense. Another reason to close the NHS...
My finger seems fine, but the emotional damage will last for a while. I fed him and he bit me! So human. When I was leaving the park, my finger bleeding, another, adult squirrel ambushed me. He or she was so large she could bite off my hand. I dropped a handful of nuts and run.

It looks like I cannot accept Paul's invitation to Collector's wood. There's a high risk the squirrels would eat me :-(

ppauper

October 21st, 2018, 10:12 am

Leave it to ppauper to challenge the fake science of the CDC
that's not what happened.
The CDC said "almost never" which you changed to an absolute.

Paul

October 21st, 2018, 8:56 pm

The slow loris has toxic sweat, it licks its armpits so that the toxin gets onto its teeth and then bites. How did that evolve?!

bearish

October 21st, 2018, 9:13 pm

That's not a stupid question - that is deep and profound. Of course, I first thought you had some issues with slow lorries... 

Paul

October 22nd, 2018, 6:50 am

Lorry drivers licking their armpits, there’s an image!

katastrofa

October 22nd, 2018, 7:03 am

Still better than my level of personal hygiene today in the morning. I just sniffed myself here and there :-D

I'm not sure if this is going to answer your question about slow loris, as a large part of the story is a sweet secret (sweat secrete?) of Nature's underpants gnomes.

The venom production is due to a convergent evolution (whatever the word "evolution" means today). The same genes encode venoms in snakes, lizards, sea creatures and even the few venomous mammals (platypuses). After all, there's a narrow group of proteins, which are venoms, so trying out different configurations of genes, different animals can eventually achieve one which encodes them.

When it comes to slow loris, I've found an article which says that it's more likely a strong allergen rather than venom, and it's similar to that from a cat's saliva and skin glands: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/chemistry/gr ... lergen.pdf
Both creatures lick their glands during grooming.

The slow loris will hide their head and neck between their arms to protect the vulnerable parts when attacked. They must have somehow figured out the rest, with a little help of natural selection (lick your glands before you bite, or you'll be eaten - or something similar they could teach their children or each other via social learning).

BTW, convergence is a fascinating mechanism. While it's quite obvious that e.g. whales look similar to fish, some doppelgängers surprise, e.g. African crested porcupine and New World porcupine:

They look strikingly similar, but the only thing they have in common is a hairdresser - they evolved independently on different continents and from different ancestors. BTW, there's a so-called cobra hypothesis about loris, which assumes the convergence mechanism:
(https://news.mongabay.com/2014/09/did-t ... the-cobra/)

I like looking at people and their pets. They often look and act very similar.
Last edited by katastrofa on October 22nd, 2018, 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

October 22nd, 2018, 7:51 am

That's fascinating, thanks!

katastrofa

October 22nd, 2018, 10:41 am

De nada.

Do you think that fluctuations of market patterns are purely stochastic or that there's deterministic chaos underlying them?

katastrofa

November 1st, 2018, 1:02 pm

Last edited by katastrofa on November 10th, 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

November 10th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Are there any fans of Ennio Morricone in the forum? I have a spare ticket to his last UK concert on 26 Nov (he's 90). The downside is the seat is next to mine.

Great movie and Morricone's soundtrack.

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2018, 11:04 pm

The downside is the seat is next to mine.
Left or right side?

katastrofa

November 10th, 2018, 11:05 pm

You can choose. I have symmetric profiles :-)

Cuchulainn

November 10th, 2018, 11:09 pm

You can choose. I have symmetric profiles :-)
SO(3)?

katastrofa

November 10th, 2018, 11:27 pm

In all its degeneracy.

katastrofa

November 11th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I had no idea I was so unpopular! I can understand some responses I got, that someone doesn't like  Morricone's music, that it's kitsch - but ME, the seat is next to ME!

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On