SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Stupid question of the day

May 12th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Weed and slug in biodynamic tomatoes? You don't know much about farming in reality, do you ;-)
City folk have wunderful ideas. So hard to find a shrubber these days.

Чтобы скачать этот файл зарегистрируйтесь и/или войдите на сайт используя форму сверху.
I think your copy&paste Google translator skills have gone wrong.

BTW, I wiped out the whole population of mealybugs with neem oil. I feel terrible.

bearish

May 12th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Without going deep and philosophical, I occasionally find the vegan argument a little light in terms of which living things it is OK to kill. I don’t pretend to have any high ground here. If it tastes good or is likely to hurt me, I’m OK with killing it. I’m not big on fox hunts, bull fighting, and similar spectacles of gratuitous killing. Bugs, meh!

Paul

May 13th, 2019, 9:02 am

How do you pronounce “impasse”? It’s being used w.r.t. Brexit a lot. There’s the English way and the foreign way. I prefer “imp,” rather than “amp.” Does that give me away as a Brexiteer?
Tom Watson, Labour, says "omp."

Cuchulainn

May 13th, 2019, 10:29 am

#include <omp.h>
Labour into headers?

katastrofa

May 13th, 2019, 11:52 am

Without going deep and philosophical, I occasionally find the vegan argument a little light in terms of which living things it is OK to kill. I don’t pretend to have any high ground here. If it tastes good or is likely to hurt me, I’m OK with killing it. I’m not big on fox hunts, bull fighting, and similar spectacles of gratuitous killing. Bugs, meh!
That's why I prefer to refer to my veganism as an ideology rather than a philosophy. It's individual, and I don't think I ever shared with anyone my personal reasons. The only philosophy I can extract from this is that killing is never OK and I can't imagine any categorisation (species, intelligence level, etc.) which could justify it. I try to consider and minimise harm I incur on the natural world and non-human beings. Most animal-derived products are replaceable or prodigal, but I still have to feed my cats with meat (but I will research and potentially switch to in-vitro meat when available), visit the dentist (even if stomatology tests on animals) and I murdered the mealybugs.
I would prefer to invite ants or ladybirds to do the dirty job for me. Back at home they moved in every summer encouraged by some sugar treats - sugar and nettles are a good way of letting them know where they are and aren't welcome.

katastrofa

June 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I saw a squadron of Red Arrows going back from D-Day celebrations today. Then I heard them. Were they flying at a supersonic velocity?

bearish

June 8th, 2019, 8:38 pm

I am so not the one to teach anybody around here physics, but I think a subsonic (one might even say pedestrian) explanation for the phenomenon you describe is that the speed of light is considerably greater than the speed of sound. Incidentally, I have traveled at supersonic speeds on a couple of occasions, and nothing noticeable happens inside the plane as you pass through Mach 1.  

katastrofa

June 8th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They seemed to pass the sky in front of me almost before I heard their sound. I guess I would need to estimate the distances and tell if they were sub- or supersonic.

bearish

June 8th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Given that the Red Arrows supposedly fly Hawk T1s, it's a pretty good guess they were flying subsonic, since their max speed is 622 mph. 

katastrofa

June 9th, 2019, 12:15 am

ImageHawks T1 (max 0.88 Mach in level flight, according to wikipedia) in a photo from today's show. Thanks!

Gamal

June 9th, 2019, 4:16 pm

The only philosophy I can extract from this is that killing is never OK 
As far as I remember your views on abortion were different.

katastrofa

June 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Abortion is not killing. I think that both women and men should be legally able to give up parental duties in the period in which the abortion can be performed on a woman without risk. If the potential father withdraws, but the woman decides to keep the pregnancy, she's on her own. If women's freedom is to be respected, also men should not be forced to live their mistakes - or being tricked into it. (That should make legally possible to get rid of the daddy once they father a nice child - now there's only the mantis option...)
Not to mention cases of pregnancy from rape (also no justification for abortion in Alabama), or its direct threat to the woman's health.
Last edited by katastrofa on June 9th, 2019, 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gamal

June 9th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Abortion is not killing. 
Fair enough.

Cuchulainn

June 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Which part of 'Backstop' do you not understand? 

Paul

July 2nd, 2019, 11:27 am

You are typing into a document on your PC or into a box on a website etc. You look down at the keyboard, or out of the window at the sheep. When you look back at the screen the text you had written has not appeared. And it’s not in any other window you have open. Where did the text go?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On