Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Marsden

Re: Stupid question of the day

May 10th, 2022, 5:40 pm

A series of related stupid questions for the day:

1. What was the document kat used to draw her diagram on?
2. What is the first word in the text from that document that appears partially in the pic? Ends in "mental."
2a. If "mental" is the entire word, was "sustainability" just a misspelling of (... or code word for) "stability?"
2b. If the conjectures of (2a) are both correct, I ask again: What was the document kat used to draw her diagram on?!
3. Is "sociodemographics" really a word? (Spellcheck: NO!)
4. Are there missing words between "They have very distinct" and "sociodemographics?" What are they?
5. What is shown in "figure 2?" Is it suitable for display at work?

tagoma

May 18th, 2022, 9:08 am

What would you do if you had only 1 day left before the next CQF Insitute's Quant Insights Conference?

Paul

May 18th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Charge laptop, pen, headset,... Plan where to put the children while lecturing. Hope internet is stable. Don't drink too many cups of tea.

Which reminds me...

tagoma

May 20th, 2022, 9:13 pm

And iron legendary Hawaian shirt, of course

Paul

May 24th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Would abortion performed by gun make all Americans happy?

bearish

May 25th, 2022, 2:14 am

No, I don’t think so. Those who are “pro life/guns” are only comfortable with kids being shot after they are born. Those of us in favor of reproductive health care for women also tend to think that there is not much of a legitimate role for guns in modern society.

Marsden

May 25th, 2022, 12:50 pm

The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) Leadership Forum in Houston, Texas on Friday should be interesting.

Will they call for elementary school students to be armed in order to stop school shootings?

That might be the only thing left for them to propose in their usual line of ideas about how gun violence can be prevented.

tagoma

May 25th, 2022, 1:45 pm

close down schools

Marsden

May 25th, 2022, 2:01 pm

close down schools
Could be: they're already sure education is seriously over-rated.

bearish

May 26th, 2022, 3:57 am

I think you are on the right track. If you are totally uneducated or, equivalently, have only received religious training, you are likely to be in favor of all the people who look and sound like you having guns so that they can kill everybody who they feel like killing. Because, like god! God be in favor of killing them black and brown kids.

Paul

May 28th, 2022, 7:21 pm

America worships the Constitution and Bill of Rights like the Middle East worships the Quran. How long before the US ends up in a similar mess? (I don’t think it’s quite there yet!)

(Say what you like about Russia and China but they manage a nice job of cognitive dissonance with Marx and Mao’s Little Red Book.)

Marsden

May 28th, 2022, 7:58 pm

America worships the Constitution and Bill of Rights like the Middle East worships the Quran.
I think the Constitution and the Bill of Rights have a different dynamic than religious texts; the real danger in America is that a lot of Americans worship a much-adapted version of the Bible.

The core belief of American government philosophy (at least my version of it; many Americans very clearly do not believe this) comes from the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
The main things here are (1) equality and (2) the notion that governments exist to serve the interests of the people, contra to the general notion of religious government philosophy that the role of government is to force people to behave however the religious doctrine says they should.

Paul

May 28th, 2022, 8:54 pm

I think the word “dynamic,” is interesting since that is exactly the problem. The Constitution and Bill of Rights aren’t dynamic, just like the Quran. And unthinking adherence to them is counterproductive in the long run. At least the Quran is supposed to be the word of some all-knowing, fairy godfather.

Marsden

May 28th, 2022, 11:44 pm

There is an immense amount of hagiography in America about our system of government, and the Constitution and Bill of Rights ... as though we should defer to the attitudes of a bunch of privileged 18th century people, most of them slave owners.

But that's pretty obviously sophomoric, designed to keep the great unwashed masses who don't think very much from causing trouble -- maybe like Brits being schooled to be willing to die for the Queen -- ? (Hopefully they don't do that any longer ... but you do still have a Queen.)

And we actually do change the Constitution, though I doubt it will happen again in my lifetime.

And interpretation is even dynamic: even the Supreme Court Justices who pretend to want to go by the "original intent" of the drafters of the Constitution have managed to decide that the Second Amendment guarantees an inviolable right for individuals to bear arms (apparently even arms that were undreamed of in the 18th century), never mind that that was never how it was implemented during the lives of the drafters nor for two hundred years afterward.

(The Quran, just to be clear, is technically regarded as the absolute final word of God, and any effort to add to it or modify it is blasphemy: apparently after writing down his thoughts, the fairy godfather abandoned us.) (Come to think of it, I'm not sure any contemporary religion holds that there are current day prophets; Mormonism might.)

Paul

May 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm

I think I missed the "Dying for the Queen" lessons. There are so many pea-souper fogs in the UK that going to school after a day up the chimneys can be problematic. Yes, we still have a Queen (for a few months more, maybe.) And we also have non-stick frying pans. 

Yes, interpretation is key. Abortion is allowed because of something waffly in various amendments about privacy. But the same privacy doesn't extend to allowing people to not use seat belts in cars. It's a funny country!