Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Stupid question of the day

April 23rd, 2022, 6:50 pm

I must admit that I’ve never heard the -gate construct used in this context, but “operation ill wind-hole” has a certain ring to it.

Paul

April 25th, 2022, 6:37 am

Well, this week we would have had: Poophole (Amber Heard and/or dog). Then there could have been Nipplehole. I'm sure there are others.

Marsden

April 25th, 2022, 12:36 pm

It would have the potential to raise not-quite-scandals into being scandals, just because the name would be ... well, scandalous.

Sort of like the people who are counted as celebrities only if they die within a few days after a pair of real celebrities, in order to verify the notion that deaths of celebrities come in threes.

Paul

April 27th, 2022, 2:55 am

Could Captchas be made useful? 

Idea 1: Include pictures of missing children and FBI most wanted. (Like on milk cartons in olden days.)

Paul

April 29th, 2022, 11:45 pm

Do you think that, after a sleepless night, Oscar Hammerstein II got up and said, "Sod it, we're going with 'La, a note to follow So.'"?

Marsden

April 30th, 2022, 3:29 pm

I think "La, some Frenchy word for 'there'" was the original version, but the French ambassador walked out of the premier.

Paul

May 7th, 2022, 8:44 pm

Why is it only the front lights on a car that oxidize and go yellow, and not the rear?

Marsden

May 9th, 2022, 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Doppler Effect.

ExSan

May 9th, 2022, 3:27 pm

IMO is The Carbonaro Effect
°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°

Paul

May 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm

No. It's still there when I reverse.

Mercadian

May 9th, 2022, 4:43 pm

Why is it only the front lights on a car that oxidize and go yellow, and not the rear?
I suspect a number of factors:

- Sun and Headwind exposure
- Heat from usage
- Clear Polycarbonate with lower UV filtering
- Lamp Geometry

Paul

May 9th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Sun: Yes. But same for front and rear, see below
Headwind: I like it!
Heat: Another good one. From light bulb or engine?
Clear poly: I am comparing clear front and clear rear. But I don’t know what they are made of
Geometry: This will affect sun exposure and wind. But I have upper and lower front lights, totally different geometry and same oxidation

Mercadian

May 9th, 2022, 6:53 pm

Sun: Yes. But same for front and rear, see below
Headwind: I like it!
Heat: Another good one. From light bulb or engine?
Clear poly: I am comparing clear front and clear rear. But I don’t know what they are made of
Geometry: This will affect sun exposure and wind. But I have upper and lower front lights, totally different geometry and same oxidation
- Most lamps are made of Polycarbonate due to its durability wrt to impact, along with ease to manufacture smooth surfaces 
- Heat I would say mostly from light bulb, I see the engine heat as a second order effect (given diffusers away from the front of the lamp).
- Bulb Wattage would be another factor, which is implicit in the Heat, as the low-high is usually 55W-75W for front whereas idle-break is 10W-22W for rear
- I think condensation/humidity within the casing would also have an impact

But I'd put my money on Heat and UV degradation as the likely culprits here.

M

katastrofa

May 10th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Nonsense. It's obviously relativistic mechanics. In your frame of reference, you can see that light travels a shorter way to the front lamp than to the tail lamp, because the cat is moving forward with velocity v. However in the reference frame of the car, the car doesn't move, and hence light travels the same way from both sides. In order to keep the speed of light c constant in all reference frames (as required by the axioms of Einstein's special relativity theory) and to let it reach the car from both sides in the same moment, time has to run faster for the light travelling to the front lamp! That's why it goes yellow faster - but only in your frame of reference!
Attachments
8169599B-54A5-487D-BAC6-B6223E36C214.jpeg

Alan

May 10th, 2022, 3:24 pm

I like it. And don't forget the famous Schrodinger broken headlight paradox. If the lamp breaks while the car is parked, can it really be said to be broken? Or, is it just in a broke-not broke quantum superposition, awaiting the turn of the ignition?