SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: Stupid question of the day

August 19th, 2018, 9:28 pm

i have met both of them, and they're not completely alien. Originals? Yes!
I met one of them; what's the other one like?
I also met only one of them. How is the other? 

How you could meet yourself. Part of our brain has the bizarre power to make us believe that a double of ourselves exists. Raj Persaud explains

I am shocked every time I hear my voice from recorded, that is not how I sound....but then also digital music is not the same as analog! 

katastrofa

August 19th, 2018, 10:56 pm

i have met both of them, and they're not completely alien. Originals? Yes!
I met one of them; what's the other one like?
I also met only one of them. How is the other? 

How you could meet yourself. Part of our brain has the bizarre power to make us believe that a double of ourselves exists. Raj Persaud explains

I am shocked every time I hear my voice from recorded, that is not how I sound....but then also digital music is not the same as analog! 
The recording is much closer to how you really sound to other people. I hate my "true" voice too, BTW.
@Cuchulainn, they are similar in that sense that they both aspire to become something: a physicist (Collector) and a political advisor (Paul), and they do this solely for prestige and money.

bearish

August 20th, 2018, 12:59 am

I can think of far worse motivations than prestige and money. And let's not invite AlexEro into this discussion by changing the focus to digital music!

katastrofa

August 20th, 2018, 1:26 am

True dat. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

trackstar

August 20th, 2018, 3:15 am

How a recording sounds, even if just spoken word, depends quite a bit on the settings and the engineer, if there is one.

I sound fine to myself when lecturing, although maybe too soothing, so I am told, putting everyone to sleep ;). But the trick in general is always to let the microphone come to you.  No need to shout - you are being amplified already.

Three cheers for digital sound, for sure!
Last edited by trackstar on August 20th, 2018, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

August 20th, 2018, 4:09 am

I can think of far worse motivations than prestige and money. And let's not invite AlexEro into this discussion by changing the focus to digital music!
Definitely for money. But variety instead of prestige (in that I will do stupid things simply because I have not done them before). 

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 6:24 am

Definitely for money. But variety instead of prestige (in that I will do stupid things simply because I have not done them before). 
Money yes, mostly to spend money (mostly on books). Physics is the road to burn money (and ruin). There is typically deeper motivations behind the surface motivation. Books are one of the few goods without sales tax in Norway, so the deeper motivation is naturally tax-free shopping (and to irritate physicists taking themselves to seriously).  

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 8:33 am

And those who wanna be a paperback writer.

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 9:03 am

Money yes, mostly to spend money (mostly on books). Physics is the road to burn money (and ruin). There is typically deeper motivations behind the surface motivation. Books are one of the few goods without sales tax in Norway, so the deeper motivation is naturally tax-free shopping (and to irritate physicists taking themselves to seriously).  
The problem with physics is that it is only an approximation to reality. Mathematics and Theology don't have these issues ... you define axioms and books of Canon Law and off you go.

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 9:15 am

How a recording sounds, even if just spoken word, depends quite a bit on the settings and the engineer, if there is one.

I sound fine to myself when lecturing, although maybe too soothing, so I am told, putting everyone to sleep ;). But the trick in general is always to let the microphone come to you.  No need to shout - you are being amplified already.

Three cheers for digital sound, for sure!
I turn off the microphone always.
Was once in a very noisy pub (Palace) in Dublin. Mrs, Cuchulainn could hear my voice from the rest room on a lower floor.
In public lecture rooms I always close the door... Other speakers can become a bit annoyed..

I am immune to AlexPro Syndrome.

ppauper

August 20th, 2018, 9:40 am

I turn off the microphone always.
Was once in a very noisy pub (Palace) in Dublin. Mrs, Cuchulainn could hear my voice from the rest room on a lower floor.
In public lecture rooms I always close the door... Other speakers can become a bit annoyed..
There was a story about a prof at MIT who shouted when he lectured. Some guy came into class late, the prof said, "you missed the first half of my lecture," the guy said, "no I didn't, I was only 3 floors down"

I was told that story by someone who had been wilhelm malkus's student

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 9:46 am

I was in Lisbon few years ago. Bruno Dupire was having difficulties with the microphone etc. Up steps A.N. Shiryaev to fix it for him. 

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 10:10 am

I was in Lisbon few years ago. Bruno Dupire was having difficulties with the microphone etc. Up steps A.N. Shiryaev to fix it for him. 
Prof. Shiryaev himself ?  he is used to work under pressure!

katastrofa

August 20th, 2018, 10:22 am

If it's not about prestige for you two, then why so much showing off with it? People have crazier hobbies than playing ukulele and juggling, but keep them for themselves. I'm not trying to judge you, just explaining why it looks to me as if you're trying to garner prestige. Unless we are mincing words about something obvious.

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

"juggling,"  Prestige and magic goes hand in hand especially when R

The Prestige and its twist and turns:
Soon Second Act? Juggling was his first act (the Pledge), what will he do second act? 

Prestige is the third act! 
Last edited by Collector on August 20th, 2018, 11:17 am, edited 7 times in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On