SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Stupid question of the day

August 20th, 2018, 10:40 am

Cuchulainn wrote:
trackstar wrote:
How a recording sounds, even if just spoken word, depends quite a bit on the settings and the engineer, if there is one.

I sound fine to myself when lecturing, although maybe too soothing, so I am told, putting everyone to sleep ;). But the trick in general is always to let the microphone come to you.  No need to shout - you are being amplified already.

Three cheers for digital sound, for sure!

I turn off the microphone always.
Was once in a very noisy pub (Palace) in Dublin. Mrs, Cuchulainn could hear my voice from the rest room on a lower floor.
In public lecture rooms I always close the door... Other speakers can become a bit annoyed..

I am immune to AlexPro Syndrome.

I've already learnt: "much slower and a bit lauder". My public voice is very airy and child-like, I'm practically whispering the endings of words (it's better when I speak very loud, but they equip speakers with a mic on suitable occasions). It's because I have a naturally low voice, which makes me sound serious and cold (according to my husband) and I developed an instinct to raise its pitch.

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 11:22 am

I like Allen Downey's style His slides are also nice and parsimonius.

Paul

August 20th, 2018, 11:28 am

katastrofa wrote:
Paul wrote:
bearish wrote:
I can think of far worse motivations than prestige and money. And let's not invite AlexEro into this discussion by changing the focus to digital music!

Definitely for money. But variety instead of prestige (in that I will do stupid things simply because I have not done them before). 

If it's not about prestige for you two, then why so much showing off with it? People have crazier hobbies than playing ukulele and juggling, but keep them for themselves. I'm not trying to judge you, just explaining why it looks to me as if you're trying to garner prestige. Unless we are mincing words about something obvious.

It's called "conversation"! "Human beings" do it as part of "social interaction." It's quite common, and has all sorts of benefits to the individual and the group, I agree it will send a message but not necessarily about hierarchy/prestige.
Unless my ukulele playing and juggling are waaaaay better than I thought!
kat, in your books you would write something like "X lives in Y with her cats." There's a message right there! ;)

katastrofa

August 20th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Paul wrote:
katastrofa wrote:
Paul wrote:
Definitely for money. But variety instead of prestige (in that I will do stupid things simply because I have not done them before). 

If it's not about prestige for you two, then why so much showing off with it? People have crazier hobbies than playing ukulele and juggling, but keep them for themselves. I'm not trying to judge you, just explaining why it looks to me as if you're trying to garner prestige. Unless we are mincing words about something obvious.

It's called "conversation"! "Human beings" do it as part of "social interaction." It's quite common, and has all sorts of benefits to the individual and the group, I agree it will send a message but not necessarily about hierarchy/prestige.
Unless my ukulele playing and juggling are waaaaay better than I thought!
kat, in your books you would write something like "X lives in Y with her cats." There's a message right there! ;)

Fair enough, I just sometimes suspect that people who show off with this kind of stuff (which they claim they do for personal pleasure) want to stand out from the group - overshadow their competition. I've noticed it's typical of the lesser ones. The greatest ones don't have to advertise themselves. I take it you have other reasons.
I simply like to keep most things to people with whom I share them, e.g. my husband was recently the first to discover my lifelong interest in the history of philosophy of science, which I know quite in detail, but only now that he works in research (and not brain-etching finance) we can share it. I often use my cats to divert people's curiosity from myself or gently refuse answering some of their question. Some chapters in my book are designated with need-to-know restrictions.
As for social interactions, if they don't flow naturally, one can always talk about the weather. We had a plumber in the morning. He had a Dutch accent but turned out to be a former surfer from South Africa. He stayed for my killer espresso and we talked about the current situation of Afrikaners, which affects also his family. I mentioned similar incidents in Eastern Europe's history. Nice and interesting person for some social interaction.

Paul

August 20th, 2018, 2:28 pm

That's too heavy for me! I'd rather talk about cheese!

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Cheese in Bergen this year (November), more than 3000 cheeses from around the world. There will both be prestigious and cheesy people there. mostly in the later category I think...

Cuchulainn

August 20th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Gamalost 

"was once a staple of the Norwegian diet. Like many traditional Norwegian foods, such as flat bread, dry salted meats and stockfish, Gamalost could be stored for long periods without refrigeration. The brownish-yellow cheese is firm, moist, coarse and often granular. Gamalost is rich in protein with low fat content, measuring 1% fat and 50% protein."

"it is rare to find the cheese outside Norway"

eco-friendly (stored for long periods without refrigeration), excellent for travel.  (basically nothing will eat it due to the smell, so it last even without refrigerator)

Paul

August 20th, 2018, 3:48 pm

That link doesn't explain how the making of that cheese is different from making any other cheese.

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 3:53 pm

trade secret!  (how to not wash hands before hand rubbing in the mold ?)...I can promise this cheese tast special....either people love it or they can't even stand being close to it.

Mostly old people like it, the strong taste and smell makes it beneficial if your taste organs are strongly reduced! and I think some store it for very long time...

Go to the Gamalostfestivalen and find out, early summer.

katastrofa

August 20th, 2018, 4:40 pm

If that's what you fancy, go and try Stinking Bishop from Borough Market :-)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I know how the cheese is made. Ukrainian yokels know the secrets of Norwegian yokels :-D

Collector

August 20th, 2018, 6:18 pm

not a big surprise a few Babushkas partly now this cheese recipe, after all we used to travel up their rivers and exchange goods.

and people in exile tend to give away too many country secrets:

"Thus, the court of Volodymyr the Great in Kyiv hosted legendary Norwegian king Olav Trygvasson who spent many years in Kyiv during his exile. The future King of Norway Magnus the Good (1035 - 1047) also spent some years in Kyiv for military training education."

katastrofa

August 21st, 2018, 12:55 am

Yeah, I know. Just for the record, I don't have a droplet of Nordic blood. My ancestors on my grandfather's side ate your ancestors for breakfast - literally.

katastrofa

September 9th, 2018, 1:49 am

Do you know what's the name of the equivalent of Tinder for vegans?

Cuchulainn

September 9th, 2018, 11:43 am

katastrofa wrote:
Yeah, I know. Just for the record, I don't have a droplet of Nordic blood. My ancestors on my grandfather's side ate your ancestors for breakfast - literally.

But your ancestors did have Nordic blood on their hands.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...