SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Stupid question of the day

January 4th, 2019, 3:53 pm

I don't think anyone here on OT is being serious. Except myself, and possibly ppauper.

katastrofa

January 4th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Norwegian and Ukrainian sense of humour is a heady cocktail :-)

Forum karma sounds like good excuse for some perverts, but there's a difference between a bunch of forum friends cracking jokes and a professional conversation which someone stubbornly tries to turn sexual despite the lack of interest and response from the other side.
I'm actually curious how a man would react to that...

Cuchulainn

January 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm

As with Germans, humour is not a joking matter. 

trackstar

January 4th, 2019, 4:54 pm

a long time ago the cartoonist B. Kliban had a picture - quite funny:

Bad Cat Karma.
Last edited by trackstar on January 11th, 2019, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

January 4th, 2019, 5:33 pm

As with Germans, humour is not a joking matter. 
You’ve got a lot out of that children’s joke book I got you for Xmas five years ago. I’ll get you volume 2 for your birthday.

katastrofa

January 4th, 2019, 6:11 pm

I don't think anyone here on OT is being serious. Except myself, and possibly ppauper.
I'm never being serious here, maybe except for my BDSM fantasies about Collector.

Alan

January 4th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Forum karma sounds like good excuse for some perverts, but there's a difference between a bunch of forum friends cracking jokes and a professional conversation which someone stubbornly tries to turn sexual despite the lack of interest and response from the other side.
Most men would be flattered unless the other side is their boss. In that case, a classic is 'Disclosure' if you haven't seen it.

katastrofa

January 4th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Just to be clear - I meant someone from outside this community (a lurker) looking in. "Karma" is not given as an excuse, but what goes around can come around for sure.

[...]
I know. I'm just expressing my displeasure with the state of things. BTW, lurking into such places to read strangers' silly conversations might already indicate a deviation. Well, I also sometimes do this... What bothers me is that an adult person should have developed a theory of mind complex enough to understand that relationships are not transferable. And psychopaths are particularly good at that - that's why they can be so sly and manipulative.
Do you think we should hide this forum from visitors?

ppauper

January 4th, 2019, 8:35 pm

I'm never being serious here, maybe except for my BDSM fantasies about Collector.
Boycott, Divest, Sanctions Movement

trackstar

January 4th, 2019, 8:48 pm

No, I don't think hiding the forum is the solution.

Many of us probably lurked a little while before joining and how would you even get new members if it were closed?  By invitation only?

Bottom line: Have fun, but stay safe, as they say! As you pointed out on another thread recently, it's a big world out there. : )
Last edited by trackstar on January 11th, 2019, 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cuchulainn

January 4th, 2019, 9:15 pm

It was great. For vol II a box of crayons would be good.

katastrofa

January 5th, 2019, 12:23 am

Most men would be flattered unless the other side is their boss. In that case, a classic is 'Disclosure' if you haven't seen it.
I'd assume most men would feel the same I did, but I wondered if they would react differently - more aggressively?

katastrofa

January 5th, 2019, 1:03 am

No, I don't think hiding the forum is the solution.

Many of us probably lurked a little while before joining and how would you even get new members if it were closed?  By invitation only?

It may come down more to our individual decisions - so with regard to the Off Topic (and Off Off, as it sometimes gets to be...!) ;)

What is funny to me?  A lot of stuff! 

Is it funny and entertaining for others? Mmmm - not necessarily. 

Is anyone truly offended or made to feel uncomfortable? 

Should we do whatever we want without regard for others at all, in name of self expression/free speech/drama?  

And finally, is this having an impact on each of us outside this sphere, or could it in the future?  Positive, negative, no way to know for sure.

In particular, does it open a door to really bad/unwanted behavior here or outside the forum?  (The intersection can be hard to gauge and could become pretty complicated.)

<<Long boring section of post deleted>> ; )

The other thing is, can extracurricular activities affect work prospects, whether you are running your own business, or working for a firm?

Unfortunately, the world has turned quite PC these days in that regard, and one's free time is not necessarily off limits.

So the two problems are: unwanted passes within or outside of a work context, and potential impact on opportunities with legitimate employers.

That's the Cliff Notes version. 

Have fun, but stay safe, as they say! As you pointed out on another thread recently, it's a big world out there. : )
From what I remember, I came to this forum after reading a celebrated article in math-fin - which I considered stupid, and I commented on a post about it here :-) That's indeed sad though how work takes one's life these days. In the past I would be off for a city break or visiting some exhibition, and today I couldn't wait to collapse on the sofa with cats. But before that I made a really delicious raw salad from this book! (I will post a photo from my phone in a minute... and raw lemon bars, which are way more delicious than you'd think a raw lemon bar could be).
38F5B12D-2087-41BA-A5C5-BA85B310DF74.jpeg
EB09A3D8-5F45-4528-AB8B-AE87919816FD.jpeg
I doubt the guy I've talked about is lurking here (he's too "serious"). For the record, I don't work with/for finance people - I don't think I would find a common language with them. They just think about their salary, bonus, position - no interest in doing something interesting and well.

trackstar

January 5th, 2019, 1:31 am

Those look delicious!

I am expanding my range of vegetables these days and this weekend will cook potato and leek soup - an old favorite that I haven’t made in a long time and also roasted Fennel soup - have not made it myself before but had it at an inn recently and it was excellent.

I haven’t gotten onto the raw train yet. But organic, mainly veg or vegan yes, whole grains etc and all is well with that.

Enjoy the lemon bars - I also have some pomegranates - maybe for muffins on Sunday.

katastrofa

January 5th, 2019, 1:45 am

It's a pity that you're not my neighbour - i didn't notice the recipe serves 8 persons (!)
Leek and potato is a great combination! I remember soup they had in Green Welly Inn in Tyndrum, Scotland (on West Highland Way). Enjoy your healthy goodies!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On