SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Stupid question of the day

July 2nd, 2019, 1:49 pm

You are typing into a document on your PC or into a box on a website etc. You look down at the keyboard, or out of the window at the sheep. When you look back at the screen the text you had written has not appeared. And it’s not in any other window you have open. Where did the text go?
To NSA ;-)
A virus can log all keystrokes on your computer. You've got a 25% chance of having a virus, based on what I know about your OS and user habits (i.e. nothing).

Cuchulainn

July 6th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Why do posh people never become engineers?
Somehow I can't visualise The Right Honourable Jacob RM changing a spark plug on a Moto Guzzi.

katastrofa

July 6th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Why do posh people never become engineers?
Somehow I can't visualise The Right Honourable Jacob RM changing a spark plug on a Moto Guzzi.
JRM posh? He looks like a cross between a funeral director and a quaker. And he's indeed an accomplished money- and children-maker. Not that I have anything against him (though, I wouldn't trust him much).
I knew one great architekt-engineer with aristocratic roots, but he wasn't British.

bearish

July 6th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I think something is lost in translation here. While I can't imagine much good to be said about the Rees Mogg, and firmly believe that you can be a funeral director and quaker at the same time, I don't make much of a connection between being an engineer and changing a spark plug (if that is even still a thing?). That sounds more like an auto mechanic, which is conservatively separated from engineers by at least 6 years of education. Having taken a small handful of graduate level engineering classes I would still need guidance to locate spark plugs, let alone know what to do with them. So, I very much appreciate the service of a qualified auto mechanic...

Cuchulainn

July 7th, 2019, 10:26 am

I think you don't know many Quakers, kata. These people are very hands-on and enlightened in the last centuries. I learned real/complex analysis and probability  from one member of the Religious Society of Friends (he was a student of William Feller) . Very accessible man and head of maths department.

BTW JRM is a devout Catholic.

Put a few Quakers on your team and BREXIT will be solved in a week.

And funeral directors have a sense of humour.

katastrofa

July 7th, 2019, 12:38 pm

@berish "firmly believe that you can be a funeral director and quaker at the same time"

I though quakers ate their dead!

@Cuchulainn

Devout <put anything here> - el mismo perro con distinto collar.

And indeed, all my friends believe in evolution ;-) (BTW, I'm not exactly pro-Brexit. I just don't want more Poles to come here. I lived in Poland and interacted with many of them - not everyone, but most were primitive and racist. Women were the worst.)

katastrofa

July 11th, 2019, 11:24 pm

A question to Cuchulainn: what apart from the IRA makes you proud to be British?

Cuchulainn

July 12th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Yeah, that's a stupid question.

katastrofa

July 12th, 2019, 6:02 pm

From Steward Lee' show :-)

Cuchulainn

July 12th, 2019, 9:01 pm

From Steward Lee' show :-)
Is he proud to be British?

katastrofa

July 12th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Aren't we all? I'm watching his Comedy Vehicle series in the evenings and they are painfully hilarious (especially after ABS exercises).

Cuchulainn

July 12th, 2019, 9:31 pm

What's ABS?
We have an analog TV here in the mountains but they changed to digital. It means I can't get BBC from Norn Iron even tho' the mast overlooks my house.
British comedy has gone to the dogs, The 70s were great, 

We border people knew what was going on in the North during the 60s and 70s while the Southies neither knew nor cared. Just like UK.

Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 12th, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

July 12th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Aren't we all? I'm watching his Comedy Vehicle series in the evenings and they are painfully hilarious (especially after ABS exercises).
Mrs, Cuchulain watches detectives in the evenings. Mostly in Swedish, Dansk and Norwegian. Oh, and Finish.
The Finns do the best detectives, in the snow.

katastrofa

July 12th, 2019, 10:07 pm

ABS = abdominal muscles

I don't stomach the most celebrated productions like Killing Eve, Luther, Fleabag (total crap!), euphuistic Black Mirror, etc. Line of Duty and Upstart Crow from the newer BBC productions were quite good, though. Whatever puts me to sleep.

Paul

July 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm

And I thought you had a sense of humour. 

I once slept in the bed of his comedy partner (Richard Herring). (Am trying to outdo Cuch!)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On