SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Stupid question of the day

July 16th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Some very rough statistics (though I will soon know all the Viking numbers!)
The beast seats in Norske Operahus are Kr750. In London (the best seats at ENO are central stalls, imho) it's £100-120 (I have discounts as a club member). In both houses there's a selection of seats at affordable prices (down to Kr100/£15).
Average income In Oslo is Kr500k - in London it's merely half of that!
Based on my observations the demographics of ENO are mainly middle-age or older couples, sometimes accompanied by their grown-up children. This group in Oslo is the richest (double the average income). There are also many guys like I (in their 30s) in ENO - those Norwegian beggars still earn more than the London average. BTW, I asked about the seats my colleague from Oslo, who belongs to the first group, and he wrote that they've never been to the opera!
Judging from the beer prices, the basic living expenses cost is similar in both cities.

The conclusion is Vikings don't like opera!

(That was in response to Cuchulainn's post, which has disappeared.)

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Very few alcoholics in Oslo.

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Some very rough statistics (though I will soon know all the Viking numbers!)
The beast seats in Norske Operahus are Kr750. In London (the best seats at ENO are central stalls, imho) it's £100-120 (I have discounts as a club member). In both houses there's a selection of seats at affordable prices (down to Kr100/£15).
Average income In Oslo is Kr500k - in London it's merely half of that!
Based on my observations the demographics of ENO are mainly middle-age or older couples, sometimes accompanied by their grown-up children. This group in Oslo is the richest (double the average income). There are also many guys like I (in their 30s) in ENO - those Norwegian beggars still earn more than the London average. BTW, I asked about the seats my colleague from Oslo, who belongs to the first group, and he wrote that they've never been to the opera!
Judging from the beer prices, the basic living expenses cost is similar in both cities.

The conclusion is Vikings don't like opera!

(That was in response to Cuchulainn's post, which has disappeared.)
not sure about that
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhoHnKuf-HI

Metal music is one big opera
Metal boys are Vikings

Ergo, Vikings love opera.

katastrofa

July 16th, 2019, 3:12 pm

The video just proves my point. BTW, in London I have to buy opera tickets one year ahead to get decent seats. In Oslo it's about a month to the show and more than a half of tickets is still available (the whole first row in stalls is full though! why?! acoustics and vision are pretty bad so close to the orchestra and stage!)
I think it's connected to what several Norwegians told me about themselves. They prefer to take a pepper spray, a little bell and go to the hut in the mountains.

bearish

July 16th, 2019, 8:21 pm

The video just proves my point. BTW, in London I have to buy opera tickets one year ahead to get decent seats. In Oslo it's about a month to the show and more than a half of tickets is still available (the whole first row in stalls is full though! why?! acoustics and vision are pretty bad so close to the orchestra and stage!)
I think it's connected to what several Norwegians told me about themselves. They prefer to take a pepper spray, a little bell and go to the hut in the mountains.
And the moonshine. Let’s not forget the moonshine!

bearish

July 16th, 2019, 8:22 pm

In fact, given the choice between opera and pepper spray, you’d find a surprising number of Norwegians who’d prefer to be on the receiving end of the latter.

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm

What about VAT? Moonshine causes blindness.

Up in Skeikampen a bottle of French plonk costs Euro 300 in the hotels. Iceland is worse. 

bearish

July 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Up in Skeikampen a bottle of French plonk costs Euro 300 in the hotels. Iceland is worse. 
You have moonshine confused with methanol. The head may contain a small amount of it (methanol, that is), but using modern equipment this does not constitute much of a danger.

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2019, 10:14 pm

You have moonshine confused with methanol. The head may contain a small amount of it (methanol, that is), but using modern equipment this does not constitute much of a danger.
The big danger is smoke and razzias.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4UivC-f6M

Do you have your own stil in the basement? Or a preferred supplier?

katastrofa

July 16th, 2019, 11:53 pm

If Millennial Falcon landed in Eastern Poland:

d in

bearish

July 17th, 2019, 1:53 am

The big danger is smoke and razzias.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4UivC-f6M

Do you have your own stil in the basement? Or a preferred supplier?
In the time and place where I grew up, a still in the basement was de rigueur. In my current circumstances, it is a bit more complicated. Like, we don't actually have a basement. But, on the other hand, Amazon will happily ship you a small state-of-the-art still for a very modest price. Seeing as it is still Prime Day, there may even be a discount!

Paul

July 17th, 2019, 5:03 am

What’s the strangest thing you’ve found left in a hotel room? It’ll probably be similar to things left on the London Underground: wooden legs, sex aids, unfinished novels. Unfinished sandwiches. Unfinished novels about unfinished sandwiches.

I’ve just found a pair of false eyelashes in the bathroom cabinet. Not earth shattering, but somehow sweet, and easy to conjure up stories about their wearer and what they were up to.

I shall leave them for the next occupant.

Cuchulainn

July 17th, 2019, 9:42 am

It is not permitted to import potatoes to Norway without special permission.

bearish

July 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

In the US it is not allowed to trade onion futures: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Futures_Act

bearish

July 17th, 2019, 10:27 am

It is not permitted to import potatoes to Norway without special permission.

While probably overkill, there is actually good reason behind this rule. Potatoes are quite susceptible to various communicable diseases, typically referred to as blights or rots. By requiring certification of the health of imported potatoes, Norway has largely managed to remain free of these.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On