Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Ultraviolet

We love farmer

January 10th, 2013, 11:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxThought it seemed quiet. Farmer does sometimes go OTT on OT but sometimes his analysis is penetrating and correct sweeping all the other crap out the way. He is kind of an arrogant aggressive and less well rounded T4A.I still prefer farmer :-) I've been wondering for quite a while what happened with him (I was just too shy to ask).

Traden4Alpha

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I, too, sincerely miss farmer. His stories and examples always seemed superficially orthogonal to the topic but were almost always 100% on-target at a deeper level.

tagoma

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 7:10 pm

I like very much is self-mockery.

LTrain

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 7:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarHe's having too much fun as "Ultraviolet" to bother being "farmer" any more. Bah.. farmer and trackstar are the same person...Can you say "MPD??"

Cuchulainn

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 7:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: LTrainQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarHe's having too much fun as "Ultraviolet" to bother being "farmer" any more. Bah.. farmer and trackstar are the same person...Can you say "MPD??"Shut the hatches and duck for cover

trackstar

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 9:26 pm

It is quite good as W rumors go, but not true.If you need proof, look at some of the extended arguments between farmer and trackstar.It would have taken an awful lot of time, energy and ingenuity to keep those going in a convincing way.We do know that farmer was MobPsycho in an earlier period, and also something that sounded Middle Eastern Abu Mazen or something like that.
Last edited by trackstar on January 10th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Just had a look back and yes, abumazen.Here is an example:"Unbelievable, Pete, just like that I am sold on the idea of a Monarchy and wish the US had a King.It's kind of like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - the Castle of the Person Who Can't Do Jack. It's a symbolic warning to those would would tell me I can't smoke cigarettes or something. You're not the King, and even if you were, you couldn't tell me what to do! A daily proof by example of freedom...It's like the story of Yertle the Turtle, let's people know that being a micromanaging busybody is a dead-end pursuit from the get-go. But instead, here in the US we have a President, which teaches every little kid the lesson that yes, you too can aspire to one day manage the economy or something.If I were to write a new Constitution, I'd require that we have a national clown who live in the "Clown House" and be an eternal object of doom and ridicule for meddling in everyone's business. You know, like those statues of Saddam Hussein or Kim Jong Il, except with a clown nose and orange wig.We need to have the precedent and example of impotence reenacted every day of every week, lest people forget and think the idea of a king is something novel. Kind of like a perpetual fire drill, teach people how to react to an overlord so that no spark of one can ever take hold.I know the metaphor I'm looking for: A vaccination against royalty. Or, kind of like a rattle you give a baby, lest it should be wanting to stick something more dangerous in its mouth, or how you pressurize a hazmat suit with clean air, lest the vacuum serve as an invitation to something else...MP Edited: Mon Nov 10, 03 at 09:09 AM by abumazen"on royalsIt's hard to know for sure, but Mob Psycho is pretty clear and abumazen often signed off as "MP". Writing style too is very similar... Kerouac did Benzedrine too.
Last edited by trackstar on January 10th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Here is a simple example of MobPsycho, who did indeed sign off as "MP"."Okay, I deleted my post.Because I am in love with one of the girls in this thread, and I ought to watch the sorts of pictures I post in her presence.MP Edited: Fri Sep 05, 03 at 02:07 PM by MobPsycho"On Quant and womenI think he meant Mela - she had a Piglet avatar and one of the big guns around here at the time was also pursuing her. That is a great thread actually, because it includes a number of early W brigands and also a long sequence where Private Messages of a torturous romantic nature are posted for public ridicule and entertainment. A word to the wise, if you would not post it, don't PM it!

trackstar

We love farmer

January 11th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Another example from MobPsycho:"Geez, are there only like five winning science fair projects in the whole world?When I was in third grade, I heated and cooled a goldfish, and counted how many times his gills pulsed per minute at different temperatures. Second place.In fourth grade, I filmed a ping-pong ball dropped from different heights, bouncing off a surface of different angles, projected it onto graph paper, and learned the meaning of the word "coefficient." First place.A more interesting project would explore why, in fifth grade, I didn't heat and cool a ping-pong ball, and graph how high it bounced and its resulting frequency. I could have been a star!But more than that, your mention in another post of how old you were when you were sneaking into an historic New-York area bar, suggests your competitor may have been not just a dullard, but a plagiarer.And off a third-grader no less MP Edited: Fri Oct 18, 02 at 02:14 PM by MobPsycho"From Black Hole Is ProvedIt should be "Proven", but anyway, there is little doubt that MP and farmer are the same person.And even if we think he might be gone now, I think he will be back. Keep your eyes peeled!**Maybe Mela is Ultraviolet....she liked dark haired men too!
Last edited by trackstar on January 11th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTrain

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 12:34 am

Thou dost protest too much!

LTrain

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 12:35 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarIf you need proof, look at some of the extended arguments between farmer and trackstar.The best argumenets I have are between me and myself!(best anything Ive had is between me and myself ) edit: muffed the quote .
Last edited by LTrain on January 11th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 12:46 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LTrainThou dost protest too much!No. If you do a side by side comparison of my posts and farmer's, you will find that the styles and interests are quite different.There are similarities between farmer, MobPsycho and abumazen which I thought might intrigue people who do not know some of the history here.
Last edited by trackstar on February 7th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polter

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 1:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: LTrainThe best argumenets I have are between me and myself!(best anything Ive had is between me and myself ) I hear ya!

LTrain

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 1:18 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarNo. If you do a side by side comparison of my posts and farmer's, you will find that the styles and interests are quite different.There are similarities between farmer, MobPsycho and abumazen which I thought might intrigue people who do not know some of the history here.The bottom line: farmer is a technology-literate populist raver with a huge chip on his shoulder, who rides motorcycles and smokes Marlboros.I am an artistic elitist with a cold mind (in reality) and a warm heart who enjoys a beer with the boys every now and then.There was deep animosity from farmer when I arrived here and maybe you could say it settled into an uneasy truce over the years, but it didn't really. I still do not understand why some people predicted romance between us; that was irrational.TEXTBOOK MPD

LTrain

We love farmer

January 12th, 2013, 1:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Polter[Mac Davis Hard to be Humble]Awesome!