Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Meta / recursive topics

April 16th, 2011, 9:37 pm

farmer

Meta / recursive topics

April 16th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Each individual impulse or group of impulses on its occurrence evokes other impulses which correspond to stimuli which in the past have usually accompanied its occurrence. The primary impulse through its acquired connexions will set up a bundle of secondary impulses, a 'following' of the primary impulse.

trackstar

Meta / recursive topics

April 16th, 2011, 10:30 pm

"I want to teach the idea that gives many the right to erase themselves - the great cultivating idea...Everything becomes and recurs eternally - escape is impossible! - Supposing we could judge value, what follows? The idea of recurrence as a selective principle, in the service of strength (and barbarism)...To endure the idea of the recurrence one needs: freedom from morality; new means against the fact of pain (pain conceived as a tool, as the father of pleasure); the enjoyment of all kinds of uncertainty, experimentalism, as a counterweight to this extreme fatalism; abolition of the concept of necessity; abolition of the "will"; abolition of "knowledge-in-itself."(This is) the greatest elevation of the consciousness of strength in man, as he creates the Overman."Friedrich Nietzsche, The Will to Powerand also"The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!"Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or how well-disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?"F. Nietzsche, The Gay Science
Last edited by trackstar on April 16th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmer

Meta / recursive topics

April 16th, 2011, 10:39 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstar"The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!"Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or how well-disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?"That sounds like a buy-one-get-infinite-free special on Double Checkerburgers with Cheese. I'll take it! I would kill myself today, knowing it would hasten the return to that first Checkerburger. My only regret would be that I had not eaten them more often and killed myself sooner!

trackstar

Meta / recursive topics

April 16th, 2011, 10:46 pm

It sounds like a pretty good deal to me too. I will live the second half of my life a little bit differently than I lived the first half, but it's kind of like dropping acid before a Dead show - you don't want to peak too soon. How would this strategy work for you? Eat lots of those Double Checkerburgers with Cheese from now until your expiration at time T. Then your last years will be your best, each and every time.
Last edited by trackstar on April 16th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

Meta / recursive topics

April 23rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

It's a quiet (and snowy!) saturday morning

Cuchulainn

Meta / recursive topics

April 23rd, 2011, 1:15 pm

Snow???Here the sun is splitting the trees and I see

Traden4Alpha

Meta / recursive topics

April 23rd, 2011, 1:25 pm

It's only a few cm of snow but it's a rude shock to the system (and to the apple blossoms and local tulips).

Traden4Alpha

Meta / recursive topics

June 28th, 2011, 12:21 am