Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

frenchX

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 7:38 pm

Now don't worry Outrun, it's still me but in pissed mode I'm just contemplating the evolution of my country. 40 years ago the country developped special center for mentally disabled children and adults (not psychiatric hospital it's more an adapted homing center) and now each of these centers are closing the one after one. If you have a mentally disabled person in your family then you are just fucked now. The waiting list before acceptance is between 5 to 10 years. It's not complicated, there is a new free place when one of the adult pensionned inside dies ... The problem is that such person are not independent, they need constant attention and care. So you have to sacrifice your life because your country for which you pay huge taxes prefer to invest the money in a new Airforce one rather than in specialized centers.It may sound stupid to you, but spend ten years without being able to take real holidays or even going outside to the cinema and you would understand how it could be for such person ...Well cheers up, I will leave this thread I think that's not good for my moral

Traden4Alpha

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 7:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThis is someone in need of help, I read about it today..Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-faceAppeals like this seem to say something very strange about humanity -- that some people would rather take heroic measures to improve one identifiable person's life than take ordinary measures that save the lives of N people who aren't specifically named.

Cuchulainn

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 8:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThis is someone in need of help, I read about it today..Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-faceAppeals like this seem to say something very strange about humanity -- that some people would rather take heroic measures to improve one identifiable person's life than take ordinary measures that save the lives of N people who aren't specifically named.It's a kind of mass hysteria that kicks in, instigated by the popular media.The BBC news tends not to report on Ukranian kids playing on a Donegal beach.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 20th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 8:13 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThis is someone in need of help, I read about it today..Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-faceAppeals like this seem to say something very strange about humanity -- that some people would rather take heroic measures to improve one identifiable person's life than take ordinary measures that save the lives of N people who aren't specifically named.It's a kind of mass hysteria that kicks in, instigated by the popular media.The BBC news tends not to report on Ukranian kids playing on a Donegal beach.It's deeper than that, methinks. The human mind's social leanings and the episodic structure of human memory means that some anecdote about a particular suffering person is more compelling than hard data that shows $X will save N lives.And it certainly affects the media because they know what will attract viewers. Stories beat data.The problem is that it doesn't scale well. One can only have on the order of one story like this per day so the system can save only 365 people per year.

CrashedMint

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 8:22 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: outrunThis is someone in need of help, I read about it today..Raising money for surgery for Ghanian man with half-a-faceAppeals like this seem to say something very strange about humanity -- that some people would rather take heroic measures to improve one identifiable person's life than take ordinary measures that save the lives of N people who aren't specifically named.true. for the money that one insanely-complicated facial reconstruction surgery costs you can probably vaccinate thousands of children which will save more lives. in my book that's better spent money. we need to realize that money is limited. there are always trade-offs.Then again this guy's face is paid for with "extra money" that is introduced into the system simply because of the visible and identifiable nature of the cause. I would bet that the people that give $5 via paypal here would not have spent the same money on something else. Instead they watched that guy on the tv/online and then donated.

farmer
Topic Author

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 8:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: frenchXIf you have a mentally disabled person in your family then you are just fucked now.Gee, working to take care of a family member must really cramp your style of being on permanent vacation.Honestly, why should someone else have to take care of your family member? And how is spending a life taking care of someone - particularly a family member - defined as "fucked?" That is not "fucked" that is life.I remember when it was hot and all the old people in France died. It really must be a burden to get off your ass at the salon and bring your mother a perrier.

farmer
Topic Author

cool charities?

April 21st, 2011, 8:36 pm

Why would you want your family member, whom you have known all your life, to be taken care of by someone who sees it as a job? Over at the retard house, they probably tilt your brother side-to-side and make fun of him all day while he pisses on himself. Meanwhile, you could hustle some job 16 hours a day with the sense of purpose that you are paying for him to sit in a nice garden at your house, with a nice babysitter you chose yourself, drinking his favorite orange soda.What is the purpose of life anyway?

Cuchulainn

cool charities?

April 26th, 2011, 4:09 pm

cool charity

Marsden

cool charities?

April 26th, 2011, 4:27 pm

A big problem with most charities, and with charities in general, is that they tend to have monstrous expense ratios. If you can stomach their religiosity, the Salvation Army tends to be among the most efficient of charities.Partners in Health, which has focused a lot on Haiti and which is non-denominational (I'm pretty sure ...), is also very good.