SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul

eurovision results are out

May 15th, 2016, 6:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: ISayMooQuoteThe United Kingdom and France would historically exchange points (an average of 6.5 points per contest), and the UK has also had such a relationship with Ireland. "Exchange points"? "Relationship"? Those words are suggestive of a conspiracy! We saw this year that any biases were among the public not the juries.Maybe all the EE ex pats are missing the salt mines. And vote for godawful songs out of nostalgia, rather than poor gamesmanship.I might be biased in this since I voted for Australia. P

Cuchulainn

May 15th, 2016, 6:09 pm

I liked the Belgian entry (Ireland gave them 12).

Paul

May 15th, 2016, 6:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaOr that the British aren't cheating on taxes!Very few "cheat." Some try to "avoid" taxes, e.g. bank choosing the optimal tax year in which to pay bonuses. Very few "evade." I personally try to avoid paying as much tax as possible. Unfortunately not very successfully.Am looking forward to Albania joining the EU!P

katastrofa

May 15th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Have you been to Albania in the last 5 years, Paul?

Paul

May 16th, 2016, 3:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaHave you been to Albania in the last 5 years, Paul?Should I deduce from that question that it has changed recently? If so from what? To what? And is that statistically significant?I have been to several Eastern European countries. Not Albania, and not for many years. And I keep being invited for various events and business matters. I always refuse. However, as we are always being told about every country, except England, the food is heavenly, the scenery magnificent and the people are delightful, charming and hospitable. P

daveangel

May 16th, 2016, 4:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: katastrofaHave you been to Albania in the last 5 years, Paul?Should I deduce from that question that it has changed recently? If so from what? To what? And is that statistically significant?I have been to several Eastern European countries. Not Albania, and not for many years. And I keep being invited for various events and business matters. I always refuse. However, as we are always being told about every country, except England, the food is heavenly, the scenery magnificent and the people are delightful, charming and hospitable. PI was in Corfu not so long ago and my telephone would latch on to Albania Telecom regularly. Scary.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

trackstar

May 16th, 2016, 4:56 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulHowever, as we are always being told about every country, except England, the food is heavenly, the scenery magnificent and the people are delightful, charming and hospitable. PWho needs haute cuisine?
Last edited by trackstar on May 15th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 16th, 2016, 9:43 am

Back to topic.QuoteHowever her win has gone down badly in Russia. Several Russian politicians said a music contest, which is supposed to be free of politics had been hijacked by political considerations and anti-Russian stereotypes. How to resolve? Just don't vote!!QuoteFans also noted that the Irish jury failed to award any points to the top three songs from Ukraine, Australia and Russia and instead awarded top marks to Belgium's upbeat disco number, What's the Pressure.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on May 15th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 16th, 2016, 10:02 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ISayMooSee, first Cromwell, then this! Incredibly vicious.They've never forgiven us for Riverdance.

ppauper

May 16th, 2016, 1:07 pm

congrats to the Ukraine for winningnot sure how Australia can be in a European contest

trackstar

May 16th, 2016, 3:24 pm

We should have a virtual talent show here.Juggling flaming torches while reciting Pi?Deriving black scholes while riding a unicycle?Singing every national anthem in the world backwards?

ppauper

May 17th, 2016, 11:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarWe should have a virtual talent show here.Juggling flaming torches while reciting Pi?Deriving black scholes while riding a unicycle?Singing every national anthem in the world backwards?you go first...

trackstar

May 18th, 2016, 10:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperyou go first...OK, for my first act:Roman Riding - CavaliaYou're next!

ppauper

May 18th, 2016, 2:01 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperyou go first...OK, for my first act:Roman Riding - CavaliaYou're next!antipodean pugilist

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On