SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Random photo's

January 22nd, 2018, 5:36 pm

He's a pure mathematician dressing like that, he's probably got Asperger's, give him a break.
I think he is more applied than pure. But he is a PDE guy. Like PL Lions who also got a Fields medal, Both are from Paris VI which is a top university. I met PLL a few times at IRIA (now INRIA) when  he was about 21 because his dad was the legendary JL Lions and founder of numerical analysis in France.
BTW PLL was the inventor of the viscosity method that is used for nonlinear PDEs in finance, e.g. the UVM model.

Politics will be the ruin of him. It's like brilliant academics wanting to become Provost.

edit: on Mathematical Geneaology, I see PLL and CV had the same supervisor.

katastrofa

January 22nd, 2018, 9:23 pm

Those d(x1, x2) thingies look like metrics? (or similarity measures in AI). That (x1 - x2)^2 looks suspicious.

He an evangelist for some technology? He is very flambuoyant, what?

.// Flipovers suck.
I just don't know what he's teaching. But there is so much to comment about this picture e.g. the guy is Fields medal Cédric Villani but look at that tiny white board! Why is there a camel in the background? Why that big spider as lapel badge? LOL

What's he like off-stage? Any craic?

'Bhi craic agus ceol againn' 
Big-headed and boring, like every Frenchman.

ppauper

February 28th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Cuchulainn

February 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Something Crocodile Dundee should have known.

tagoma

February 28th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Chilly weather in GVA these days!

outrun

March 5th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Traden4Alpha

March 5th, 2018, 7:40 pm

outrun

March 5th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Cool! That's a fly-eye.

katastrofa

March 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm

tw

March 31st, 2018, 8:59 pm

tagoma

March 31st, 2018, 9:50 pm

We had Villani has a guest at a datascience event organized by the company I am working with, last summer. Villani made a speech and answered questions of a moderator on datascience/economy/society. Main comment I overheard among my colleagues was that datascience (lato sensu, see T4A's works for a relevant Venn diagram) was clearly not his field.
Anyways, politicians make decisions about work/workplaces/industries;  but how many of them have ever worked at a factory?

Traden4Alpha

March 31st, 2018, 10:52 pm

I'd be more concerned about the percentage of politicians who have ever managed a factory or business.

How do you get one set of humans to volunteer their labor (in exchange for money) to make something so wonderful that you can get a second set of humans to volunteer their money (in exchange for the products/services of the business)? That's the central question!

Anyone came make workers happy with high pay, short hours, and no rules. And anyone can customers happy with low prices and lot of extras in the product and service.

But show me someone who can make both happy at the same time while balancing the books and that's someone really special!

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2018, 7:47 am

I'd be more concerned about the percentage of politicians who have ever managed a factory or business.

Ruud Lubbers was a Rotterdam businessman and prime minister in the difficult period after the second oil crisis. He did a good job.
These days politicians tend to be economists or jurists.

tw

April 1st, 2018, 8:37 am

Ruud Lubbers was a Rotterdam businessman and prime minister in the difficult period after the second oil crisis. He did a good job.
Did his business experience enable him to hire (and retain) the best people?

Cuchulainn

April 1st, 2018, 8:53 am

Did his business experience enable him to hire (and retain) the best people?
AFAIR, yes.
In the last couple of years about 8 ministers resigned for various reasons, ranging from little white lies to other indiscretions. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On